Esteemed Contributor

Re: Good analysis in Forbes about QVC/HSN deal. Worth the read.

@Bird mama, I wanted to thank you for your help when my little cockatiel was in trouble. You helped a lot.

Surprisingly, my little guy is still chirping along!! He's happy, playful but still not eating well. Obviously though, he's getting enough. Smiley Happy

It's a mystery.... But, thanks again for your loving and understanding help.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

First, Mr Bozek need a geography brush-up.  The Amazon is found in South America.  The Nile runs through Egypt. 

Secondly, Will someone please explain how the "amusement" philosophy relates to QVC's constant infomercial type of programming?  Do they really think the endless Dyson, My Pillow, Philosophy, and Wen, etc. programs are entertaining?   Are pushy, obnoxious, insulting hosts entertaining?  Most people are more likely to turn the TV off rather than listen to something that insults their intelligence.  I'd say they've got a long way to go to achieve the "entertainment" goal. 

@Kachina624

Very few people even have geography knowlege anymore...........so sad.....Woman Sad  True story--you know those maps of the U.S. that show a box with Hawaii and Alaska in the corner to fit all 50 states in one image -my cousin has a friend, he has a college degree and he actually thought that Alaska was located near Hawaii......animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

As far as QVC calling itself "entertainment"/"amusement", I have taken a peek at some of the so called TV entertainment these days--- the bar is set pretty low, so QVC unfortunately qualifies.........Woman Frustrated

I could say OMG here, but clearly gobsmacked is the right word to describe my reaction when I read this!  A college degree and he thought Hawaii and Alaska were located near each other??? 

Gobsmacked I tell ya!  Woman Surprised

@jackiejenny

Sometimes we will get together for a "game night" and play Trivial Pursuit in teams......the easiest way to win is put folks on your team that are good in georgraphy, the geography questions do them in every time!....its amazing how some has NO CLUE!!! And my sis and a couple friends are really bad at geogrpahy---not as bad as Alaska/Hawaii being together but they dont really know where many of the countries are located........  I realize the names have changed on some of the countries after the Soviet Union was broken up and some of the names of the countries in Africa have changed since we went to school....but some of the main countries in Europe and Asia certainly havent changed..........Gobsmacked is right!!!.....Didnt these people color maps in elementary school.......???????

BTW that guy that is so stupid about Alaska....(hasnt he seen photos or shows on Nat Geo/Outdoor Channel and seen their environment for gosh sakes)....but he is brilliant on other topics....just not geography....go figure....

@Spurt~~~That is so true on " How To Win Trivial Pursuit 101!"  I always tried to get the most "well rounded knowledge" people on my team, but  having a few good at geography was a must or you WILL go down!  

I feel much better about that dude who thought Alaska and Hawaii were near each other!  The fact that he is brilliant on other topics makes me think geography just wasn't in his wheelhouse!  

Honored Contributor

I always want my sister on my team for Trivial Pursuit.  She is useless in Science and Math, but no one can touch her on world and American history or celebrity, tv and movie knowledge.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

First, Mr Bozek need a geography brush-up.  The Amazon is found in South America.  The Nile runs through Egypt. 

Secondly, Will someone please explain how the "amusement" philosophy relates to QVC's constant infomercial type of programming?  Do they really think the endless Dyson, My Pillow, Philosophy, and Wen, etc. programs are entertaining?   Are pushy, obnoxious, insulting hosts entertaining?  Most people are more likely to turn the TV off rather than listen to something that insults their intelligence.  I'd say they've got a long way to go to achieve the "entertainment" goal. 

@Kachina624

Very few people even have geography knowlege anymore...........so sad.....Woman Sad  True story--you know those maps of the U.S. that show a box with Hawaii and Alaska in the corner to fit all 50 states in one image -my cousin has a friend, he has a college degree and he actually thought that Alaska was located near Hawaii......animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

As far as QVC calling itself "entertainment"/"amusement", I have taken a peek at some of the so called TV entertainment these days--- the bar is set pretty low, so QVC unfortunately qualifies.........Woman Frustrated

I could say OMG here, but clearly gobsmacked is the right word to describe my reaction when I read this!  A college degree and he thought Hawaii and Alaska were located near each other??? 

Gobsmacked I tell ya!  Woman Surprised

@jackiejenny

Sometimes we will get together for a "game night" and play Trivial Pursuit in teams......the easiest way to win is put folks on your team that are good in georgraphy, the geography questions do them in every time!....its amazing how some has NO CLUE!!! And my sis and a couple friends are really bad at geogrpahy---not as bad as Alaska/Hawaii being together but they dont really know where many of the countries are located........  I realize the names have changed on some of the countries after the Soviet Union was broken up and some of the names of the countries in Africa have changed since we went to school....but some of the main countries in Europe and Asia certainly havent changed..........Gobsmacked is right!!!.....Didnt these people color maps in elementary school.......???????

BTW that guy that is so stupid about Alaska....(hasnt he seen photos or shows on Nat Geo/Outdoor Channel and seen their environment for gosh sakes)....but he is brilliant on other topics....just not geography....go figure....

@Spurt~~~That is so true on " How To Win Trivial Pursuit 101!"  I always tried to get the most "well rounded knowledge" people on my team, but  having a few good at geography was a must or you WILL go down!  

I feel much better about that dude who thought Alaska and Hawaii were near each other!  The fact that he is brilliant on other topics makes me think geography just wasn't in his wheelhouse!  

@jackiejenny

I concur geography is the key--Woman Very Happy  They rely on me for sports but I only know football---too many baseball and boxing questions if you ask me Woman LOL

Yep, that guy is brilliant ask him a question about history ( the revolutionary war and world war II) or science, or ask about an author (he is well read), he is a technology wiz, knowledgeable about gardening and plants, and he knows how to fix cars, can do home renovations....just not geography---lol! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I always want my sister on my team for Trivial Pursuit.  She is useless in Science and Math, but no one can touch her on world and American history or celebrity, tv and movie knowledge.  

@VaBelle35

My sis is good in science and TV/movie knowledge//celebrity...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”