Esteemed Contributor

Good analysis in Forbes about QVC/HSN deal. Worth the read.

Valued Contributor

Re: Good analysis in Forbes about QVC/HSN deal. Worth the read.

Thanks @gardensla,  good interesting read!

KK

Esteemed Contributor

The entertainment factor is interesting and impulse shopping is too. But how would a combined giant company like a big QVC HSN attract new and young customers when most of the hosts are way older than them?

And that discovery factor -- the original entreprenurial vendors became mainstream and sold their companies. What does the customer get from it? They can buy those products elsewhere now. 

Tv shopping has become the virtual showroom but savvy shoppers will look for the beat price and deals and that may mean elsewhere that have quick and free shipping and a trouble free customer experience.

Honored Contributor

I think one of the things it's very easy to forget for those of us who read here frequently is how much  QVC and HSN business is shifting to the Internet just like it happening to more traditional shopping outlets.  That's one of my reasons for not expecting the same frenzy about sell-outs and who is host is and what they repeat and so forth.  I think we just don't have access to the same info their producers get from their computers. 

Lots of those kinds of things really go back to the long-ago days when Internet shopping was very limited and products here were just not available except during the hours they were being touted on air.  I'm glad those days are gone.

Although I am in the old group of QVC customers by both my age and my long-term buying experience, I now spend more online than via telephone -  although I do still use the phone to deal with CS, especially when I'm close to one of my snowbird transfer times.

In the last few weeks, I'd estimate I saw a grand total of 10 minutes of QVC on TV.  But I still do buy what I like, I no longer make the mistakes I made when I was a less savvy shopper, and I've had good experiences with QVC's shipping and CS. 

If there's a company that never makes an error, I have yet to find it.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, there's no way young people are ever going to spend their time watching home shopping channels. Come on - they're interested in fast paced Reality shows, violence, and meeting their friends and relationships at those outlets.

The same reason for the empty malls, suffering 25% low: the young are no way going to be lured out again to the malls. They used to see the mall as a meeting place and a fun place. Their phones have overtaken malls for fun forever.

It's now become a problem with the young stuck in their homes instead of being out socially. Even obesity has risen from their inactivity.

Like middle aged and older people, the Internet and phones have made everybody lazy to go roaming through malls when everything is at their fingertips.

Honored Contributor

Great, eye-opening read!  Thank you @gardensla.  I'm very interested to see the QVC/HSN venture a year or two from now.  

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

IMO, there's no way young people are ever going to spend their time watching home shopping channels. Come on - they're interested in fast paced Reality shows, violence, and meeting their friends and relationships at those outlets.

The same reason for the empty malls, suffering 25% low: the young are no way going to be lured out again to the malls. They used to see the mall as a meeting place and a fun place. Their phones have overtaken malls for fun forever.

It's now become a problem with the young stuck in their homes instead of being out socially. Even obesity has risen from their inactivity.

Like middle aged and older people, the Internet and phones have made everybody lazy to go roaming through malls when everything is at their fingertips.

But I believe that's also what the article is saying @febe1.  Young people do not sit and watch home shopping on TV, but since they are looking online nearly 24/7 on their tablets and their smartphones anyway, the buying traffic is already there and ready to shop.  

I don't even sit and watch hours of home shopping, and I'm middle-aged (if I live to be 112).   It's about trusting the online retail site, and having the capability to immediately search for what you want, click & buy. That's why QVC has pushed FB and IG for so long, and have their hosts share personal stories on those social media sites.  

I know many 30-somethings that have money to spend and they do -- on QVC and many other sites.  They use the QVC App, watch the product video, purchase, then on to something else online. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

But I believe that's also what the article is saying @febe1.  Young people do not sit and watch home shopping on TV, but since they are looking online nearly 24/7 on their tablets and their smartphones anyway, the buying traffic is already there and ready to shop.  

I don't even sit and watch hours of home shopping, and I'm middle-aged (if I live to be 112).   It's about trusting the online retail site, and having the capability to immediately search for what you want, click & buy. That's why QVC has pushed FB and IG for so long, and have their hosts share personal stories on those social media sites.  

I know many 30-somethings that have money to spend and they do -- on QVC and many other sites.  They use the QVC App, watch the product video, purchase, then on to something else online. 

You may be right, @Caaareful Shopper.

Trusted Contributor

It's going to take more than entertainment for this perfect storm.  There is no ryhme or reason to when QVC gets around to shipping your order.  I hadn't actually called customer service in a few years, but noticed a very differnet tone from the rep when recently needed to exchange an expensive item that came damaged.  

Let's not even talk about the recent blackout QVC had for like 3 days.

Amazon is a force, their shipping is amazing to say the least.  These TV shopping channels need to up their game, and more importantly need to know where to.

I'm going to start be more picky where I do my online shopping in the not so distant future.  That's a promise. 

Esteemed Contributor

IMO they aren't going to significantly expand their clientele unless they do something about the price of the item and price of shipping. The V in QVC used to stand for Value, and it's very difficult to find a good value at the Q these days.

Besides Walmart and Amazon, they've got to compete with Beauty stores like Ulta and Sephora.  For me, QVC and HSN have just been advertising when it comes to Beauty items.  I watch the presentations but end up buying local because it's cheaper.