Esteemed Contributor

Happy Saturday Fellow Shoppers,

My USPS letter carrier Jim tells me his brand new scanner has built in GPS. This is a new feature.

He says this means an investigator tracking a lost package complaint can see just where the delivery person was when the parcel is scanned out as "delivered".

I would expect this GPS feature will soon be in scanners used by all delivery personnel.

Super Contributor

That is good news as far as a lost package delivery.

But deliveries on packages that are not lost is still an issue.  I will continue as I am doing now to get my Christmas shopping done by November.  

Respected Contributor

I wish they could do that with magazines. I'm missing magazines that I should have had 2 weeks ago. Since they're all different mags, i don't think that the issue is with them being sent, the delivery is the issue. 

Esteemed Contributor

Earlier this month I lost 4 orders in 3 packages, from 2 retailers, all because 1 UPS employee delivered them all on the same day to somewhere-not-my-address.

And now two of those items are no longer available.

I wonder how common it is for people to just keep merchandise that was delivered to them in error.

Esteemed Contributor

This is most definitely a step in the right direction! I applaud the postal service for implementing such a necessary action; especially prior to the PEAK holiday shopping season  commences!😊 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

The USPS has had those GPS scanners in my area for quite a while.

The only experience I've had is when a USPS delivery of a QVC package showed 'delivered', but it wasn't.

I filed a 'lost package' claim with USPS and they called and described the exterior of my home and it's location from the GPS when it was delivered, so they would not reimburse me.

3 days later the original package was delivered by guess who?

Yep, the USPS.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

The postal carriers in my state have had this technology for a couple of years now, and it has been extremely helpful. I have the same house number as neighbors one street over, so we occasionally end up with each others' packages. However, they go out of town quite a bit, so in those instances when they aren't around for us to make the swap, it's nice to be able to just call the local USPS hub and have them check to see if a package might be sitting in someone else's box. For a couple of months last fall, misdeliveries were happening frequently (they apparently had some route changes), and the morning manager started recognizing my voice when I called...  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom ,

That's really messed up.

And how did they explain a package that was scanned as "delivered" with GPS confirming that 3 days before it was delivered?

One reason I wanted to post about this, I'm looking for all the loopholes people will use to get around the GPS.

I'm so glad Jim loves this route.

He never leaves parcels where they can be seen from the street, and he scans just as he's setting it down, not out at the truck.