Respected Contributor

I am a viewer of multiple channels, Qvc, HSN and Evine. I am not really in the market for a gold purchase but can't help but notice. The prices at Evine on 14K gold pieces are much better than QVC. I assume 14K gold has to be equal in order to be labeled that. It is very noticable to me and the value seems to be with Evine. Just my thought.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gold Rush and observation

@wakefield64I love gold and used to buy gold, probably too often although nearly 6 years ago I just quit.  Nothing to do with QVC -  I just felt I owned more than enough for my current lifestyle.

As for your observation regarding QVC and Evine -  looking at the pictures really tells me too little to make a comparison so that I'd know which was offering the better value.  The gold should be the same from dealer to dealer, but I could never decide the weight of that gold from pictures and that weight is one of the major determinations of value. Just because I think they're the same, unless I know the weight of each, I can't set value.  

If you told me, each bracelet or ting or necklace was the same design AND the exact same gold weight as well as being 14k, then I can compare dollar to dollar. 

Honored Contributor

IMO the quality of the 14k at Evine is not as good as the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

Loved, loved, loved the Eterna Gold line. Bought many pieces in both yellow and white gold (earrings, necklaces and bracelets). No rings; my husband bought all my rings. 

Was perusing through the Eterna site today. Many new classic and pretty pieces! It's the best selection I've seen in many years. How nice to see Eterna (hopefully) returning to QVC.

I still believe their product is the best in the business, although I haven't purchased anything in many years. Wearing those bangles daily and they have no scratches! It doesn't get any better than that. (Although in my younger years, I'd be all over that 14K solid gold bangle! It is a beauty, but I do like Eterna's "keeper bar" in their bangles.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I just did a quick comparison for my own curiosity. Evine item 158-613 fringe 14K necklace 7.6 grams $499

QVC item chain J 385487 6.4 grams $599

I believe something cannot be labeled 14K unless it is containing the same gold content and other alloys so I don't know how one gold can be "better" than another.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady

I also enjoyed my purchases of Eterna Gold, however, I was not as lucky as you.  My bangle dented the first time I wore it.  I mailed it back, they repaired, and upon wearing it bent again.  I think I had a lemon!  I did not bother to send it back again.Glad you have had better luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Catch71Bummer! I own several in both yellow and white gold; in different designs. Some days I wear three at a time. In total I own six (three yellow and three white gold). Those bangles where not inexpensive. So surprised yours was not replaced. How disappointing.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

The last time I bought 14K gold earrings from QVC, while the earrings were nice, good weight etc, BUT they skimped on the closure bar, after a few wearings it broke off---other reviews mentioned the same thing!  These were NOT Eterna so no warranty, after 30 days of purchase for the price never should have happened Woman Frustrated  I only buy silver jewelry from QVC---no more of their gold for me 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Eterna doesn't add nickel in their gold so I would say it also depends on the inert matter beyond the 14K to equal the 24.  I know Ted used to say it depends on the material that is mixed with the gold. 

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64It isn't the gold that different, it's the weight.  The 14 in 14K tells you the percentage of gold in the metal, not the weight of the metal in that jewelry.  So - given that the Evine piece has a bit more gold, it could be the better  gold value.  That still doesn't necessarily mean it's the better jewelry value -  is the design exactly the same in both cases?  Is the workmanship the same?  If YES is the answer to both, Evine is a bit better.

If the answers are NO and there are differences in design or workmanship, only you can decide which to buy -  that's a personal decision that means something only to the woman who's going to wear the jewelry.  I buy my jewelry to wear, not to resell or to sell for scrap, so if I were buying, I'd buy the piece I liked better. That's the real value of jewelry to me.  I've learned not to buy at all if I can't afford the one I prefer.

If I want to INVEST in gold instead of wearing, I wouldn't buy jewelry -  there are easier ways to make money in the gold market.