Esteemed Contributor

Gary Goben adds a wealth of knowledge to the presentations, which the hosts fail to provide (and probably should know if they were really prepared). I enjoy his calm demeanor and quiet voice.   

However, under him as lead designer, Denim & Company has gone downhill IMHO. I miss the beefy 100% cotton fabrics D&C offered and the classic styles. Now it's a line of crazy hemlines, boxy body shapes, far too much leisure styles, and oh-my-gosh that awful spandex or polyester (which doesn't breathe) added to everything.

I've returned two of his "original" Sport Savvy line recently with complete disappointment. That was a favored line of clothing for tennis and golf clothing. It's been ruined by Gary adding stretchy material to the lucious cotton fabric. Not the brightest idea and he keeps making the same mistake over the years. What's with that?

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Not the brightest idea and he keeps making the same mistake over the years. What's with that?

It's because QVC management puts pressure on the buyers and designers to keep the prices down.

Regular Contributor

FYI, he is not a "vendor" he is an employee of QVC.

Honored Contributor

@GG13 wrote:

Gary Goben seems to be the only vendor who "just sits" - doesn't demonstrate/explain/add to the Host's presentation in any way, except

to comment.. I find him incredibly boring.

@GG13    It's such a shame you're being forced to sit and watch D&C presentations with no option for turning your TV off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GG13 Obviously you aren't seeing the same person the rest of us are.

He is NOT a vendor. Read the other replies. He's an employee of QVC.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GG13 wrote:

Gary Goben seems to be the only vendor who "just sits" - doesn't demonstrate/explain/add to the Host's presentation in any way, except

to comment.. I find him incredibly boring.

@GG13    It's such a shame you're being forced to sit and watch D&C presentations with no option for turning your TV off.

@Kachina624 This wouldn't be the first time I've snorted my coffee whilst reading your perfect response! LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady    Have you heard Gary say he designs Sports Savvy?  I haven't.  I've gotten two tops and I'm very pleased with them.  They're French Terry and not stretchy at all.

I do think D&C has cheapened the quality of their fabrics in order to maintain at or near the previous price point.  Other lines have done the same.  Isaac's Pima cotton is like tissue paper; Kim Gravels fabrics are so thin and cheap I don't even watch her shows anymore.  Renee Greenstein's Cuomo Jersey is a rougher, cheaper version of Liquid Knit and the construction of her tops is atrocious.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It seems like the time is right for him (and others) to possibly start coming back in to the studios.  I wonder if that will ever happen, though.  Maybe it's cheaper to do things the way they've been handling them for the past 2 years.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 I don't buy much clothing, but 2 of my last 3 clothing items were Denim & Co.  Neither were this year, but both certainly long after Gary came to QVC.  I like both the top that was on clearance and a button front shirt that I believe was a TSV.  That one I would have re-ordered but there wasn't another color available that I would wear.  

No reason to name the third purchase which I probably should have returned.  The brand is no longer sold  at QVC.

Respected Contributor

The cost of clothing (and pretty much everything else) has gone up. My guess is that QVC is trying to keep the costs down and something has to give so it might be the fabric the vendors are selling. If you want clothing made better, and different quality fabrics you are going to have to pay, and then you will all be complaining about the higher costs. Can't have everything anymore.