Valued Contributor

Re: Gardening - need comments from gardeners who shop QVC plants

On 2/18/2015 californiadreaming said: None of the plants that I ever ordered thru QVC thrived. They arrived in poor condition, looking very different than what they showed on air. You are better off going to your local nursery where you will certainly find better prices.

I have not had any luck with Cottage Farms or Robertas.From Roberts I planted bulbs,maybe 20 I don"t remember.I think 2 came up and then disappeared. From cottage Farms,the same year,I purchased 3 items...no luck.The point of giving you your money back,is worthless after you have planted and waited for the plants to come up.I now go to my local nursery,where,you know you will have good results.And to answer your question about how they arrive,well,not the way they look on T.V.

Valued Contributor

I ordered several things years ago from both Roberta's and Cottage Farms. All failed miserably, and I am not a novice gardener. And the customer service people at Roberta's were horribly rude.

I agree with others, buy locally and support a small business, a feed and seed store or nursery.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

When they first started presenting on QVC, I ordered from both Roberta's and Cottage Farms. Nothing performed as promised. As others have said, many items were DOA. The mini roses were no better than what I buy in the grocery store for $3.

I believed the Roberta's guys when they promised I could raise tropical plants in NJ. I nursed a few tuberose and plumeria plants for 3 years. The first year both varieties had only leaves. I brought them in over winter then started the whole process again. By the end of summer I had a few flowers on both plants. Again, silly me brought them inside to try again. The 3rd summer, mid September I had a few flowers. I let them die a natural death.

I've never bought another plant from anywhere other than my local nurseries.

As someone else said, it was impossible to reach Roberta's CS. I was more successful reaching CF's CS.

Respected Contributor

I've actually had pretty good luck with plants from both Roberta's and Cottage Farms. One weird thing though, I ordered calla lilies and gave some to my daughter who lives down the street. Mine died, hers thrived. Go figure.

Occasional Contributor

Usually not good luck. Worst was CF braided hibiscus. It never did well, died within a year in Florida. CF and Q said it wasn't perennial. From all I asked here in FL, it is perennial here. Needless to say, it was not warranted. I even sent Phillip Watson a message, which, of course was not answered. I do have an order waiting to be shipped. Guess I never learn.