Contributor

Gardening Shows- Way too soon!

I like the Q and shop often.   Honestly, cannot understand why gardening shows starting so early - even for Florida.   Please rethink this for next year....  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gardening Shows- Way too soon!

I agree.   In NYC this morning it was 17 degrees with a windchill of 0 - doesn't make me want to look at gardening shows.   I guess for certain parts of the country that don't have harsh winters, they may be interested.

Honored Contributor

I agree.  I never watch the gardening shows anyway, but they do seem to start awfully early in the year.

Trusted Contributor

@QLOU21 wrote:

I like the Q and shop often.   Honestly, cannot understand why gardening shows starting so early - even for Florida.   Please rethink this for next year....  

Can't start the garden shows too soon for me.  I live down south now, but I welcomed these shows even when I still lived up north.  Carolyn Gracie is my favorite host -- love both her garden shows and her Denim & Co. shows.  Bring on springtime!

Esteemed Contributor

I know it seems early, but they're competing with catalogs that arrived in December's mail. While some gardeners prefer to go to a nursery in season or to impulse buy, many like to spend the winter planning and ordering early to make sure they get what they need in the quantity required. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Not too early for me.  I bought two of the rockers and my third cart.  This cart will go to my daughter who is moving to Fl. In the next few months.  I have one myself and gave one to my son.  

They are so good to take all that 'stuff' you need for the beach, perfect for camping and good for use in the garden.  One of the most useful things we own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They do it every year. The choice is to watch them or not. Though I occasionally like to see the bright, pretty flowers, I usually don't. They have way too many of them. Like everything else, the Q is caught in this seasonal overkill... The same things shown repeatedly from year to year...

I'd note, though, that for those ordering, this isn't really too early for the order to be placed and the plants cultivated and shipped so that they arrive in time for planting. Personally, I'd tend to buy plants locally. Despite the variety offered by Roberta's and the other vendor, there are plenty of choices at the local garden centers and I can select the specimens I want and that look hardy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's about 8 degrees in my area....way to early for gardening shows. I won't be watching.

Trusted Contributor

While I do not care for the gardening shows, the timing is spot on.

Both my grandmother and father had commercial greenhouses, raising thousands of plants each year for both farms and home gardens.  This is the time of year that people begin planning the gardens and planting.  In many cases, flower sthat will be shipping out later this year for planting need to be started, so this is the time to make the sales and have the seeds sown by the vendors.

In any case, one can always change the channel if they wish to view something else.

Respected Contributor

@KYToby I was in total agreement until you decided to chide everyone with the change the channel line.