Respected Contributor
I watched whole crepe Myrte presentation and never heard sun requirements, soil, deer info, etc. Come on! I don’t need payment schedule 3 times, give as gift suggestions, three times states up north listed but never planting information. I expected better from Rachel.
Honored Contributor

It's funny but I caught only that presentation and felt exactly as you did,  Twins Mom.  The hosts spend entirely too much time on repetitive selling points, easy pay, a million are flying out the door, only four left, only order, let's do colors and on and on and on.  Meanwhile the vendor is waiting for a chance to describe and explain the important points of the items which sometimes we hear and sometimes we don't.  This is an old complaint and a common problem with many of the hosts.  The format needs to be changed and more emphasis put on details about the product, not all the other baloney.

Esteemed Contributor

Rachel must have been doing something right. It's on Wait List now! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Did they tell you that suckers constantly come up from the bottom and have to be taken off?  That if you try ti dig one up suckers come up all over the place?  Or about the mess that they make on the yard, driveway and in the gutters?

All important details about crepe myrtles that sometimes are overlooked?  ALSO,  there is the annual trimming and pruning.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gardening Needs Detsils

[ Edited ]

Hopefully, people do homework before buying any plant or shrub anyplace! A salesperson isn't going to provide a buyer with the pertinent details of how to grow and when to trim or prune unless you shop a reputable, local nursery with full-time personnel.

If you want to garden, that is really your responsibility to educate yourself about your location and the amount of work invested IMO.

Thanks @Sooner , for the helpful info about the Crape Myrtle's. I didn't have a clue, but have never cared for them anyway.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Hopefully, people do homework before buying any plant or shrub anyplace! A salesperson isn't going to provide a buyer with the pertinent details of how to grow and when to trim or prune. If you want to garden, that is really your responsibility to educate yourself about your location and the amount of work invested IMO.

Thanks @Sooner , for the helpful info about the Crape Myrtle's. I didn't have a clue, but have never cared for them anyway.  

@BirkiLady   I don't mean to be a downer, but the reality is that there are issues with them and they are NOT low maintenance.  I think people should be aware.

We had many of them at our last house and it was a constant thing with the suckers in growing season. 

Trusted Contributor

@Twins Mom   I have 5 crepe myrtles and you can have every one of them.  They are pretty for about a month then it's over.  As another poster mentioned, the suckers(sprouts) from the tree are almost impossible to get rid of unless you dig up the ground around them.  A pain to maintain. I didn't plant them, I guess either the previous owner or builder planted them.

Honored Contributor

I love crepe myrtle and have had several.  Suckers have never been a problem.  They take full hot sun, bloom all summer and the gray bark makes an interesting winter feature.  The spent blossoms do make a mess so don't plant near a patio or pool.  They won't bloom without full sun.  Once established, they're very drought tolerant.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Hopefully, people do homework before buying any plant or shrub anyplace! A salesperson isn't going to provide a buyer with the pertinent details of how to grow and when to trim or prune unless you shop a reputable, local nursery with full-time personnel.

If you want to garden, that is really your responsibility to educate yourself about your location and the amount of work invested IMO.

@BirkiLady - Actually, there are several hosts who work really well with the vendors to provide all the information you mention—for example, on a recent YHJ garden show, Jill and the vendor went into great detail about the flower set they were presenting, covering how the item would look when it arrived, what to do with it when you opened the box, the best locations and conditions for planting it, how to water and care for it, how long it would take to bloom, and how many times it would likely bloom. Then they showed the shipping map with the zones and the performance guarantee at the very end. I didn't even want the flowers, but I watched the full presentation because it was so thorough and educational.

I feel like Carolyn also does a good job of interacting with the garden vendors and sharing useful details for the customer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gardening Needs Detsils

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I love crepe myrtle and have had several.  Suckers have never been a problem.  They take full hot sun, bloom all summer and the gray bark makes an interesting winter feature.  The spent blossoms do make a mess so don't plant near a patio or pool.  They won't bloom without full sun.  Once established, they're very drought tolerant.

@Kachina624 

The Crepe Myrtles provide some nice beautiful color during hot Texas summers...and your right good in droughts too....The trees that are pains are the Live Oak trees which shed their leaves in the spring....then its the green/yellow pollen that gets all over cars sidewalks etc....car washes do a booming business in the spring....and awful for allergy sufferers too...Ill take Crepe Myrtles any day

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”