Honored Contributor

Re: GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS!!!!

[ Edited ]

@CJC wrote:

Why is Josie Maron usually on air half naked?  She’s a very attractive woman, but a little more modesty would be lovely. 

@CJC   I assume with long sleeves and a high neckline, she'd get the oil and grease on her clothing. 

Valued Contributor

i like leah, but i don't watch am style, nor much else either. had to stop. got tired of all the peat and repeat. i suspect that it's done 'cause the item or line is selling well or they want to make a line more profitable.

when you stop seeing a line so much, either they can't get enough product to satisfy qvc demand or the product or line isn't selling. based on reading the tv guide, josie is more popular then philosophy at the moment.

yes, they have several other beauty brands, but they aren't aired. seems like it would make some sense to have a 3 hours beauty show, with just 2 or 3 products from each brand. that would give viewers a larger variety to order from. and if nothing else, it may not be as long and drawn out, if that makes sense.

it's a given that the tsv brand will be on in heavy rotation, and now, all night, to try and sell it out and not to have to come up with as many other items to air.

what can we say? it is what it is. i don't have enough time in a day to be so concerned about what they do or don't do. lower overall sales should be a hint. way fewer sellout should be another. but apparently not.

while i guess this is frustrating to those that spend hours with one of these channels on, perhaps it's time to just let them be and turn to one of the probably close to 100 channels that we are paying for.

as some say, 'it's their world, let 'em have at it'. i'm not saying to change the channel to be mean to anyone that reads my post. i'm saying it because that is one of the metrics that they go by to get an idea of the number of people that are watching. if that number continues to go down, it should be an indication to anyone that is 'woke', that the 4th airing of the same product  in 6 hours or whatever, could be overkill, perhaps things will change.

while on air, they can see the number of viewers rise and fall, or at least the producer can. this is one of the things that the producer tells the host, in terms of 'do/say more of this' or 'stop doing/saying this'.

for example, let's just say that every friday for the next 4 to 6 months, viewership was down 40% or more between certain hours, like 8pm to midnight. how long do you think those products or shows will be on? not as much come the 7th month or whenever they figure it out. as viewership goes down, so do sales.

here's another example. remember the last my pilow tsv, many months ago? it was a disaster in my opinion, because the pillows were not filled like they should be. at first i thought it was my imagination, until i put the new pillow next to an existing my pillow. it was missing at least 20 percent of the fill. haven't seen it back since. it is rare that i return something, but i had no choice as that was a defective product. now that it's the holiday, i suspect there will be another tsv, but i will pass.

this is the same reason that some tv shows get moved to different time slot and/or day. while the show may have enough sponsors, enough people aren't watching. sponsors will pull out if 'viewership' stays low and thus the show is cancelled. no sponsor, no money, no show.

Valued Contributor

Beauty products are marked up a lot so they make a huge profit $$$$ on them because they never go on clearance. Clothing items go out of style therefore companies have to mark them down quite a bit to get rid of them which means very little to no profit. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Trusted Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

Beauty products are marked up a lot so they make a huge profit $$$$ on them because they never go on clearance. Clothing items go out of style therefore companies have to mark them down quite a bit to get rid of them which means very little to no profit. 

You are right.  I remember one of the sharks on Shark Tank saying selling cosmetics is a license to print money, it is so profitable, and therefore cutthroat.  It explains QVC's interest in so many cosmetic sales.

Trusted Contributor

A bit after midnight, I turned on and saw the IT being presented. The model looked like she had a cockroach sitting on each eye, I couldn't get over that that was their way of selling a makeup kit. Don't women realize how horrible they look like that? I switched the channel.

Trusted Contributor
@Kachina624
I forgot about Bruce Makowsky...and his wife Kathy Van Zeeland! But even back then, it didn't seem like they beat everything to death the way they do now. You saw the vendors a lot, but the presentations weren't sooooooo long!

@wishmoon
"a cockroach sitting on each eye"🤣🤣🤣
Regular Contributor

I thought the same thing, Why are sales people hired to speak about their product when QVC host can do the same thing,namely Melissa from Keurig and several other items she sells. Davids cookies etc spokesperson also selling other items. from other vendors just to name a few. We would not have to put up with 2 people trying to talk about th same product.

Honored Contributor

@iwrite   I appreciate the thought and time you put into writing your long, insightful post. Unfortunately, many aren't going to change the channel. For some, it's their only way to shop, company if they're home alone, background noise that draws them in and some may not be telling the truth about whether they're watching and purchasing.

For as long as I've been on these boards, I've read these same complaints in every forum. Nothing ever changes in viewing or management decisions.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@mintedrose wrote:

You are right.  I remember one of the sharks on Shark Tank saying selling cosmetics is a license to print money, it is so profitable, and therefore cutthroat.  It explains QVC's interest in so many cosmetic sales.

@DecorDiva   If that's true, what happened to the Beauty IQ channel? No money printing there. It fell flat on its butt. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@iwrite   I appreciate the thought and time you put into writing your long, insightful post. Unfortunately, many aren't going to change the channel. For some, it's their only way to shop, company if they're home alone, background noise that draws them in and some may not be telling the truth about whether they're watching and purchasing.

For as long as I've been on these boards, I've read these same complaints in every forum. Nothing ever changes in viewing or management decisions.

@Shanus 

thank you. your words mean a lot.

i speak from over a decade of experience in the entertainment industry, behind the scenes, except when i wasn't paying attention and would walk right in front of the camera - LOL

i've seen and learned a lot, both positive and negative. i don't think many people realize that some actions speak volumes. while they aren't invited to the annual shareholders meeting or wrap party, their actions are noticed. even be it something like changing the channel or letter writing.

no ceo or movie director or whoever, wants to get a lot of complaints from consumers, regardless of how arrogant they appear, act or speak in public. at the end of the day, and the lights are turned out, and they get still and quiet, they often become human again and it hurts. and those that truly care will make changes. granted, not as fast as people want. they are surrounded by 'yes men and women all day', which does not help, because they often keep the bad things away from them, as much as possible.

i remember reporting directly to one ceo and often he would ask me, why didn't anyone tell him this or that. being who i am (truthful and honest), i said "because you pay too many people to be your yes person and they don't want you yelling at them". dare i say that was a rude awaking for him and he started to make changes and insisted on reading letters that were addressed to him.