Esteemed Contributor

Re: GILI REP BUYS 40 CLUTCH BAGS THAT ARE ON SALE!

@Spurt wrote:

The real scoop on Jill Martin.........

A diehard sports fan, Jill broadcasts for the New York Knicks, reporting during pregame and postgame shows and conducting one-of-a-kind interviews at halftime. Her "NY Minute" segments include such guests as Kevin Bacon, Ron Howard and Spike Lee.

Prior to joining MSG, Jill spent five years as a Sports Anchor/Reporter for CBS-4 (WFOR) in Miami. She reported and anchored the 6pm and 11pm newscasts and contributed to the pre and post games of the Dolphins broadcasts. She also covered the Marlins World Series victory in 2003, and was there for every step of the excitement when the Miami Heat won the championship in 2006. While at CBS, Jill was honored with an Emmy nomination for a story she did with the Dolphins Linebacker Junior Seau. Her exclusives include a week-long series with Shaquille O'Neal leading up to the 2006 Finals, along with the exclusive 1-1 with Canes Star Running Back Willis McGahee when he decided to go pro. Jill was the only reporter inside the Heat's championship Shaq, Pat Riley, Dwyane Wade, and the gang.

Jill began her career as an assistant at The Maury Povich Show after interning at LIVE! with Regis and Kathie Lee and Geraldo. With experience with production under her designer belt, she soon began her broadcasting career in 1999. As the host of WAMI-TV's Live, Jill reported on entertainment happenings in the Miami area, conducting celebrity interviews and covering special events. Following her time with Live, Jill spent a short time as a Hamptons reporter for News 12 Long Island, reporting on the entertainment scene and writing a corresponding feature in Dan's Paper highlighting the summer's must-haves.

From News 12, Jill landed a role as a Fashion Correspondent with Good Morning America on ABC where she highlighted the hottest fashion trends. After a year with ABC, Jill spent two years with the Miami Heat, sharing her passion for hoops as she hosted live broadcasts during timeouts and halftime, conducted fan and celebrity interviews and established in-depth reports on the players' lives off the court. 
In 2009, Jill earned two Emmy's for her reporting with the New York Knicks.

On TODAY, Jill discusses everything from the latest trends to how to shop on a budget. Jill has co-hosted the 4th hour of TODAY with Kathie-Lee Gifford and reported from The Emmys, Golden Globes, and Oscars. Jill was the New York correspondent for The Insider and NBC's Access Hollywood. She conducted 1-1 in-depth interviews, covers red carpet events, and reports on the latest entertainment news.

On March 10, 2015 Television personality and fashion expert Jill Martin added her stylish flair to QVC's G.I.L.I. got it love it® collection through her new role as creative director of the line. The sophisticated yet wearable collection includes chic, contemporary fashion and accessories that have a timeless appeal.

"I am so excited to begin this new venture with QVC," said Martin. "My passion is to help women look and feel their best with fashion that combines quality, affordability and style. QVC is the perfect platform to do this, and the G.I.L.I. collection has a classic yet fashion-forward approach that appeals to so many."

Martin is quite familiar with the global video and ecommerce retailer. She has been working with QVC since debuting her organizational home collection in 2013. She also served as the red-carpet correspondent for QVC's "Red Carpet Style – Live from L.A." broadcast and has supported various QVC charitable initiatives, including QVC Presents "FFANY Shoes on Sale."

Thanks, @Spurt. That's an extensive resume' with lots of TV experience.

Strange how she went from all the Sport jobs into fashion.

Jill Martin appears to many candles burning, and the Q seems to be just a small part of her interests.

Jill comes as representing GILI, but it seems she's not spending a lot of time as "creative director." I wonder if that's just a title they gave her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

Thanks, @Spurt. That's an extensive resume' with lots of TV experience.

Strange how she went from all the Sport jobs into fashion.

Jill Martin appears to many candles burning, and the Q seems to be just a small part of her interests.

Jill comes as representing GILI, but it seems she's not spending a lot of time as "creative director." I wonder if that's just a title they gave her.

@febe1

Yep, good observation and that was my point, her "fashion expertise" just fell into her lap...........and the books she wrote on fashion, she was actually a CO-writer, and I bet the main substance of the book came from her co-author who had extensive fashion experience!!!  

I think QVC just grabbed her for the GILI job just because Jill gave QVC that added TV exposure which they felt would draw in customers who saw her on both the Today Show and QVC..........Too me Jill doesnt fit well for the line, this was a fashion line that was supposed to be high end fashion but at reduced prices and to me Jill just doesnt have that glamour personna needed to fulfill what this line was meant to be....Jill has taken it down a different path which doesnt appear to be very successful as when LR had it.......GILI wasnt meant to be camouflage and obi belts...........Woman Frustrated  And I think your right I wonder how much input she actually provides and if "creative director"is merely just an employee job title......I dont see anything much creative and there is a heck of a lot of it on CLEARANCE too....I see nothing about the GILI line that differentiates it as a step above QVC's other clothing lines........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Jill Martin's fashion books aren't bad at all, they have some good ideas in them and Jill has a nice figure but it's clear from the G.I.L.I. On air presentations that she is no creative director. She doesn't have the fashion technical expertise to design anything. Her on air fashion advice on QVC also does not fit with her own book advice. That stupid obi belt for example, it is not the fashion solution to every styling problem. And frequently she and the models wear too tight or small jackets and tops. 

Occasional Contributor

At the HSN Outlet in Seminole, Fl has the Joy Mangano purses all leather for 7.99. I bought 15 of them this am.. I am going to donate them to our womens organization for their upcoming Breast Cancer Mamograms for these women. We have a luncheon and raise money for our womens groups to have free mamograms for those women who can not afford to have any or do not have health insurance. I believe that this is a worthy cause. I also believe that by making products that women can buy and donate to a worthy cause is a good thing for everyone, don;t you all agree? Our womens group is the Island Estates Womens Group of Clearwater, Fl. If any other woman are interested in joining us.

Honored Contributor

I saw that little comment she made and LMAO!! Let's see at $90 a pop---and she bought 40 or them=$3600 !!! Hilarious!!! Now I realize she ws just embellishing but still was funny!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila4Now wrote:

Jill has never impressed me.  Just where did she come from, who is she to be the Gili brand rep?  I had not heard of her before QVC.  She doesn't come across as someone who knows much about style.  She sometimes comes off a bit crude.

I don't really care to watch her.

Jill Martin isn't even her real name.  Her real name is Jill Sondra Dorfman.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Lisa R. never owned the GILI line.  It was QVC owned. She once did a blog or posted about it in depth and explained how it all worked.

I don't believe Jill for one second.  I'm sure it was a sales tactic.

However, I have heard hosts say they are not allowed to order new items before they go on air not that they aren't allowed to order any items.  But then you hear them talk about ordering items before going on air so who knows what the real deal is?  

Unfortunately, this kind of thing does happen all the time in retail. We just don't hear about it because you don't have the sales associates telling customers. 

I've had family that worked in retail and when it came time for end of the year inventory, the employees got excellant deals on items and many times the good stuff was purchased by employees before it ever hit the sales floor.    

When I was in high school, I worked for a department store in the women's fashion department.

So we got to see everything before customers did.  More than once, the employees bought all of a certain style before it ever came out to customers!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

I predict that the GILI line will be history after 2017/2018.  There are numerous items on clearance and I have also noticed the same with the vendor, "C Wonder" and "Halston".  Just think these lines are not doing as well and won't be prominent at the Q in the future.

Honored Contributor

Dare I say, and please forgive me, I wasn't crazy about the tight,  sleeveless floral print dress that is/was sometimes offered.  Large flowers, etc.  There, I said it, lol.  Anyway, have a great weekend.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

that was just a ploy I'm sure Hill and all her friends get the bags at a tremendous discount that is why she orders before we do !!! definitely unprofessional to speak about during the sales pitch, but the hosts order in front of us as well and they too get an enormous discount how irritating is that ? I would rather they not announce their orders just preferences is enough to bump up sales. Thank you very much . That's JMO