Honored Contributor

Re: GIFTS! GIFTS! GIFTS! DO YOU WANT TO BUILD SNOWMAN?, A MUSIC SYSTEM TO MAKE YOU SING AND DANCE!

On 10/10/2014 SPURT said:

STEVIE, I also came to QVC after the Kathy Levine craze.....I saw her once when she became a vendor for a line of jewelry

I do think Lisa brought glamour to her shows, and that's why I think QVC upped the ante on Lisa's shows too---with the special sets or remotes and the merchandise. I think they knew that people would want to tune in just to see what dress she would be wearing, check out her jewelry and shoes. And they did seem to always have something a little different.....and then Lisa had a talent for selling ...

It is strange when you evaluate the newer hosts---because it makes it seem that QVC has gone back to the future---are they going for the market of the 20 or 30 year old moms???? Are these the generation X Mary Beth's....?????? There are no hosts with glam.....but maybe glam is dead. Most dress for businesses these days is now casual, there are few formal parties or gatherings these daystoo etc etc. But when Mike George took over, in an interview he talked about when he came to QVC he thought it was old fashioned and frumpy and worked to change the image and attract a younger demographic. He did away with the "homey looking sets" and replaced them with more modern ones etc etc....But it seems he hired "frumpy" hosts....mostly these are former news people who don't seem to have "an edge" or nor do they have any glam not at all....{#emotions_dlg.laugh} So I think Lisa will leave a definite void.....no "must see" TV for QVC.....and Lisa and her remotes were as close as they got...at least in the past few years...but the merchandise on these the last couple of years even became repetitive.....

If there was nothing on the other channels, QVC used to have something different on, (they used to have real gold jewelry, or jewelry with exotic gems), nice clothes, or interesting home decor or I used to look forward to specific shows, but most are no more......Now with their limited products and hyper or silly hosts, the programs are not watchable....I may peek in out of curiosity but I quickly turn the channel....They have an edge over other online retailers with TV, but instead of using it to attract customers, what they show now a days scares people away!

I don't think they know who their REAL target customers are or what we want!!!

ITA!

Honored Contributor

Re: GIFTS! GIFTS! GIFTS! DO YOU WANT TO BUILD SNOWMAN?, A MUSIC SYSTEM TO MAKE YOU SING AND DANCE!

Oh here's a subtle change and who knows if perhaps more are in the works.......It seems that someone "upstairs" at the Q figured out that these hosts with big salaries need to do more than just be cyber pals and earn their pay by chatting with customers (sounds like a good job if you can get it) but now it seems that Stacey's lap top has been taken away and according to Leah on AM Style, she has moved on to "hosting duties" ....... in her place is Associate Producer Kate, while attractive does not seem very personable (hmmm the Q has taken a page from ITKWD and Associate Producer Mary).......it seems that Kate's "body parts" (Leah's words) have been used in modeling segments on the Q ..... so that is her history....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

STAY TUNED......

Now PLEASE do something with products and programming....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

On 10/9/2014 Remee said:

Sad, sadder, and saddest. But thanks SPURT for your reliable reports.

Well, after December do we have to tolerate G.I.L.I. shows or will they disappear? I hope so in desire of more affordable priced items. and I wonder who will become queen of PM Style ?

Guess there will be some promoting around the Q, huh ?

Shame it surely won't affect the weekends though. You know this is set in stone throughout Christmas and into New Year's. Wonder about after that ??

But there are a whole lot of weekends between now and then, so can we expect anything different ????

Anticipating the answer is "no" to that question, I truly believe QVC heads need some psychiatric examining. It's just hard to believe that the weekends are bringing in so much revenue with the programming as is now. However, I must be wrong as we haven't seen any changes to date.

Do you think they will add any new tapes for the holidays while closed down for us, or another holiday of the same old tired reruns of the past there as well ????

It's going to be sad holidays around here I believe.

They will be scrambling some hosts around after December 12th as well, won't they ???? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hi Remee....thanks for your continued support.....

I don't understand how electronic sales continue to decline quarter after quarter, YET what does the Q bring to us on the weekends, MORE COMPUTERS!!!!! They must've got one heck of a deal from Dell and HP.....But the whole thing doesn't make sense.....

It will be interesting to see what happens with PM Style---will Lisa's co-host, Courtney take over (if so I will NEVER watch PM Style again).....or will it be Sandra Bennett, a popular substitute whenever Lisa went on assignment or on vacation.....who knows? Everything that they do at the Q is so illogical that you can even fathom what their next move will be....As for the Gili line.....I just don't think that this line looked good on all figure types ...it was geared more for the XXS size and the clothing styles were more of a variations of the same thing. ....Some of the FASHION TALK regulars noted that GILI has a LOT in clearance, so that does not say much for the clothing line......And although the handbags were popular there seemed to be some quality issues....

First Claire Watts, now Lisa.....there are some changes going on, but QVC seems more concerned with opening QVC France {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Their parent company has put QVC and their part ownership in HSN in a separate stock group now, so their financial results will be front and center and not buried within Libertyinteractive other companies......

Interesting times are happening in the front office, but unfortunately it's not translating into product and programming variety---but one can only hope!

SPURT, I'm with you, if Courtney Says I DO takes over PMS, I will never watch it again, not that I was watching that much lately, anyway.

And the line-up this weekend is so boring, I think that I will go de-cobweb the barn. That is much more interesting (however, it is one of my most hated barn chores, and for me to prefer to do that rather than watch QVC tells you something about how I feel about the weekend offerings.)

In addition, I am trying to get over the double-whammy - Lisa's leaving and the fact that the Sleeping Beauty mine is closed.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

On 10/10/2014 kittymomNC said:

StevieB, I agree with so much of what you've said. Back in the days of Kathy Levine and the years after she left, there was so much variety offered! So although it did leave a void when Kathy left, and Judy, and a couple of the others, the variety of products, fashions, etc. kept up the interest.

Even on their St. Patrick's Day specials, there was a much bigger variety of items for sale, all kinds of things made in Ireland. I even made a small collection of replicas of actual Irish cottages, churches, and buildings called the Irish Heritage Collection. These small replicas are so detailed, it's unreal. My first piece was the "Quiet Man Cottage", a replica of the real cottage used in the movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara (I think I'm right about her). I have a number of pieces, and the stone churches and the one castle I have are beautiful. I need to sell them now, because I've moved on to other things, but it was an example of the variety of offerings.

When they did the 50 in 50 bus tour, during which they discovered Jeanne Bice and Quacker Factory, among others, it was almost exciting to see what would be coming next. (Can you imagine saying that about QVC now??) Every day there was such a variety of products, jewelry, fashions...I remember when they had a guy on from one of the southern states (can't remember which one), who made these great rustic birdhouses. I have two of them, and bought one or two more when I saw them at the flea market later on. I would never use the word "excitement" in conjuction with "QVC" now -- that would be such an oxymoron!

I used to have QVC on a lot during the weekends when I was home from work. And I've bought SO much over the years. Now, I try to watch Denim & Co shows, Liz Claiborne, and Linea, and I used to watch the shoe shows but I think I now have all the shoes and boots I will need for the next 10 years! Once in a while I watch a food show, or ITKWD, but I don't buy anything. There is just nothing much that interests me any more, or anything that I really need, so unless the show is funny or interesting in some way, I don't bother to watch.

I have enjoyed Lisa so much on PM Style -- I don't care at all for the "hyped up" shows from Italy or the Red Carpet and things like that. I didn't even really care for Lisa's Friday night show. But on Monday nights, she was always so "loose", I have found myself watching that show just to see what would happen with her, the models and the vendors. I've laughed out loud at her antics and her remarks many times. Whatever "IT" is, she has it. (I can't think of anyone else there now who has "IT"!) And she has such a great sense of humor, coming out with remarks and the funny looks on her face, and her interaction with everyone, that makes me enjoy watching her. I hope she has great plans for her future.

My own future plans, unfortunately, will not include much QVC....{#emotions_dlg.huh}

Edited to add: does anyone remember all the craft shows they used to have? I always enjoyed watching Donna Dewberry paint - loved those shows! (And I still have a couple of her painting sets....)

I remember the craft shows, although it was not my thing. I remember Peterboro baskets, greater offerings of Black Hills Gold, more affordable (less boutique-style) Southwestern jewelry, Silver Style on Sunday morning, the 50 in 50 tours, even Breyer horses!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Esteemed Contributor

If anyone else has had my recent experience with ordering a computer from QVC (which I realized had OLD technology and not the "newest technology available" as was said in the presentation) and trying to cancel it, they won't be selling many of those! (Although I did buy my Dell desktop from them five years ago and it's still humming along just fine.... It actually WAS new technology at that time.)

<em>My immediate question is: Can they really make that much profit on SEVEN HOURS of Shark Solutions on Monday??? {#emotions_dlg.crying}</em>

Not only Shark---can they really make a profit of seven hours of HP Computers or Bose??? Their 3rd quarter financial results should be coming out soon and I am very curious to see what they show....

Me too. How they can be keeping this boat afloat with Keurig and Dyson (which I can order right now, this minute from Kohl's and get a 20% discount, free shipping, and $$ in Kohl's Cash) is beyond me.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

On 10/11/2014 katiescarlett said:
On 10/9/2014 Remee said:

Sad, sadder, and saddest. But thanks SPURT for your reliable reports.

Well, after December do we have to tolerate G.I.L.I. shows or will they disappear? I hope so in desire of more affordable priced items. and I wonder who will become queen of PM Style ?

Guess there will be some promoting around the Q, huh ?

Shame it surely won't affect the weekends though. You know this is set in stone throughout Christmas and into New Year's. Wonder about after that ??

But there are a whole lot of weekends between now and then, so can we expect anything different ????

Anticipating the answer is "no" to that question, I truly believe QVC heads need some psychiatric examining. It's just hard to believe that the weekends are bringing in so much revenue with the programming as is now. However, I must be wrong as we haven't seen any changes to date.

Do you think they will add any new tapes for the holidays while closed down for us, or another holiday of the same old tired reruns of the past there as well ????

It's going to be sad holidays around here I believe.

They will be scrambling some hosts around after December 12th as well, won't they ???? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hi Remee....thanks for your continued support.....

I don't understand how electronic sales continue to decline quarter after quarter, YET what does the Q bring to us on the weekends, MORE COMPUTERS!!!!! They must've got one heck of a deal from Dell and HP.....But the whole thing doesn't make sense.....

It will be interesting to see what happens with PM Style---will Lisa's co-host, Courtney take over (if so I will NEVER watch PM Style again).....or will it be Sandra Bennett, a popular substitute whenever Lisa went on assignment or on vacation.....who knows? Everything that they do at the Q is so illogical that you can even fathom what their next move will be....As for the Gili line.....I just don't think that this line looked good on all figure types ...it was geared more for the XXS size and the clothing styles were more of a variations of the same thing. ....Some of the FASHION TALK regulars noted that GILI has a LOT in clearance, so that does not say much for the clothing line......And although the handbags were popular there seemed to be some quality issues....

First Claire Watts, now Lisa.....there are some changes going on, but QVC seems more concerned with opening QVC France {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Their parent company has put QVC and their part ownership in HSN in a separate stock group now, so their financial results will be front and center and not buried within Libertyinteractive other companies......

Interesting times are happening in the front office, but unfortunately it's not translating into product and programming variety---but one can only hope!

SPURT, I'm with you, if Courtney Says I DO takes over PMS, I will never watch it again, not that I was watching that much lately, anyway.

And the line-up this weekend is so boring, I think that I will go de-cobweb the barn. That is much more interesting (however, it is one of my most hated barn chores, and for me to prefer to do that rather than watch QVC tells you something about how I feel about the weekend offerings.)

In addition, I am trying to get over the double-whammy - Lisa's leaving and the fact that the Sleeping Beauty mine is closed.

Hey KS....Cleaning out COBWEBS!!!!! Watch out for SPIDERS!!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I think even a TV documentary on de-cobwebing would be more entertaining than what the Q has to offer these days.....{#emotions_dlg.glare}

And as I was flipping channels I noticed another jewelry channel had Sleeping Beauty Turquoise items....it's absolutely AMAZING that there is so much of this jewelry out there by all the shopping channels even though THE SLEEPING BEAUTY MINE IS CLOSED!!!! Wink Why I'm STILL in SHOCK!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

STEVIE you have to help me....my DS has decided to make her birthday celebration a combination of a party and Giants/Eagles game football watching party .....ARRRGGHHH!!!! If that wasn't bad enough....she is forcing me, as a birthday gift to her, to make me wear...an Eli Manning shirt that she will supply....OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}....I begged and pleaded if I could wear a Spur's shirt instead, after all it's a team that we both like...but NO!!!! I will have to keep some lysol handy when I get home to decontaminate.....She also pointed out how well Eli's college alma mater has been doing ....they beat the Aggies yesterday....{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Went to Home Goods and surprisingly most of their Halloween/Fall decor was gone .... but more surprising, unlike most retailers these days, they have not yet put up Christmas decor....let's give them a standing ovation PLEASE for waiting a while before bringing out the Christmas stuff!!!!

Some of my DS's friends could not make her Giants/Birthday Party so they took her out to dinner and I was invited to come along too.....it was a BEAUTIFUL CLOUDY and actually COOL day...the temps was about 63 since the restaurant my DS chose was outside of the city and in a small country town....the food was excellent. Then to the movies, we saw The Judge---it was one of those dysfunctional family dramas, and well acted...

So how is the weather in your neck of the woods.....and did you find any bargains .....the TJ side of the store had a large shipment of new bags....but nothing my DS liked..OY....I told her to get a leather kit at Hobby Lobby and make her own{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 gardensla said:

If anyone else has had my recent experience with ordering a computer from QVC (which I realized had OLD technology and not the "newest technology available" as was said in the presentation) and trying to cancel it, they won't be selling many of those! (Although I did buy my Dell desktop from them five years ago and it's still humming along just fine.... It actually WAS new technology at that time.)

<em>My immediate question is: Can they really make that much profit on SEVEN HOURS of Shark Solutions on Monday??? {#emotions_dlg.crying}</em>

Not only Shark---can they really make a profit of seven hours of HP Computers or Bose??? Their 3rd quarter financial results should be coming out soon and I am very curious to see what they show....

Me too. How they can be keeping this boat afloat with Keurig and Dyson (which I can order right now, this minute from Kohl's and get a 20% discount, free shipping, and $$ in Kohl's Cash) is beyond me.

I have no idea... It just gets worse and worse and it's just been SO bad for SO long... And now with Lisa jumping ship, whether you like her or not, at least some of her shows have been a cut above... Wow, it's like there's just nothing... zip... zilch... and so on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 SPURT said:

STEVIE you have to help me....my DS has decided to make her birthday celebration a combination of a party and Giants/Eagles game football watching party .....ARRRGGHHH!!!! If that wasn't bad enough....she is forcing me, as a birthday gift to her, to make me wear...an Eli Manning shirt that she will supply....OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}....I begged and pleaded if I could wear a Spur's shirt instead, after all it's a team that we both like...but NO!!!! I will have to keep some lysol handy when I get home to decontaminate.....She also pointed out how well Eli's college alma mater has been doing ....they beat the Aggies yesterday....{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Went to Home Goods and surprisingly most of their Halloween/Fall decor was gone .... but more surprising, unlike most retailers these days, they have not yet put up Christmas decor....let's give them a standing ovation PLEASE for waiting a while before bringing out the Christmas stuff!!!!

Some of my DS's friends could not make her Giants/Birthday Party so they took her out to dinner and I was invited to come along too.....it was a BEAUTIFUL CLOUDY and actually COOL day...the temps was about 63 since the restaurant my DS chose was outside of the city and in a small country town....the food was excellent. Then to the movies, we saw The Judge---it was one of those dysfunctional family dramas, and well acted...

So how is the weather in your neck of the woods.....and did you find any bargains .....the TJ side of the store had a large shipment of new bags....but nothing my DS liked..OY....I told her to get a leather kit at Hobby Lobby and make her own{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I'm sorry Spurt, but there is just no help for your sister... None. At all. Nada. Hopeless. And frankly, birthday or not, if you capitulate to her ridiculous wishes, well, that's on YOU and YOU alone... I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you if you go along with this one... Actually, let me correct that, I have NO sympathy. Honestly Spurt, unforgivable. What's next, membership in the Peyton and Eli fan club, for heaven's sake? Think about it. Despite the apparent mental age..., we are NOT dealing with a young child's birthday party wishes here... Shaking my head in wonderment AND in disgust, with my arms folded across my chest and a rather intense glare pointed directly toward the southwest...

{#emotions_dlg.angry}

I would add that I seriously doubt DS's friends 'couldn't make it' to the debacle, more likely they just couldn't stand the notion... Still, a nice outing for dinner is a nice outing for dinner... so at least there was an up-side to their defection and, if you happen to be them, WAY more than just one up-side... They get to skip the, uh, main event.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It's been rather cool, dreary and drizzly here... Not ideal, but somehow I don't mind, although after two days of really dreary skies, I was happy to see the sun when I awoke after far too short a night's sleep... Yes, you got it in one... I was up JUST all night long taking in the joys put forth on QVC... Yea, sure, right... Sadly, the sun's appearance was short lived and those dreary skies appear to be back... The leaves have started to turn and fall... Just as when they come out in the spring, it seems to happen overnight... And while I love the fall, the barren, bare trees that will soon be out there are not an uplifting prospect.

No shopping lately for me, though I am headed out shortly. I've been holed up here now for three days and it's time to get out and about. I'll head over to one of the local Maxx stores where I have to pick up a layaway... Danger ahead, because I feel certain that I'll have to meander through the store en route to the layaway area, not to mention the fact that this store sits right next door to their sister store, Homegoods... I also have to go to the grocery, always a treat...

Not to burst your bubble, but the Lowe's and the Home Depot here have started putting out their Christmas wares, as have most other retailers... Not a lot of it out yet, but every time I go into any kind of store I see something... Oh yea, it's right around the corner and frankly, I'm feeling off-kilter, at best, just thinking about it!

Can't believe SHE... still hasn't found a purse. Honestly, rocket science it's not... but I think your idea is a good one... She should definitely create and craft her own... Maybe she can emboss Eli's ugly mug onto some red and blue leather and call it a day...

Oh, and, uh, enjoy the party...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, enjoy the football game wearing your Eli shirt. LOL (What about just saying 'no'?) Maybe you should bring a box of tissues for your sister in case the Giants lose to the Eagles.

It sounds like autumn has finally arrived in your area. We're having some nice days here in IN, temps around 70. Suppose to be like that for a few more days.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain