Contributor

Re: Future Of Home Shopping

[ Edited ]

@ Othereeen 

If you want to supplement your income, I suggest you look into writing.  Your post was witty and descriptive.  I believe you would do well.

Respected Contributor
I can understand showing one product for an hour. Some people decide to buy the product then move on and watch something else. Some people may tune into the show in the middle and decide to purchase the product. I don't know of anyone who sit and watch a whole hour of one product being sold.
Respected Contributor

Sadly the younger generation has not embraced Home Shopping Networks the way we did in the 1990s. I used to circle the programs in the printed guide that were appointment viewing and would keep QVC from the morning show through the late hours of the evening. QVC needs to go back to the days of whimsy. Apparently hosts are now under pressure to sell. Back in the day it was much more a fun carnival atmosphere.  The last 10 years have been dominated by motor mouth hosts who add little value to the presentation. An idea I have floated around is bringing Kathy Levine back to mentor hosts and also given a 3 hour show of her own doing fashions to help revaltilize the staleness.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Sadly the younger generation has not embraced Home Shopping Networks the way we did in the 1990s. I used to circle the programs in the printed guide that were appointment viewing and would keep QVC from the morning show through the late hours of the evening. QVC needs to go back to the days of whimsy. Apparently hosts are now under pressure to sell. Back in the day it was much more a fun carnival atmosphere.  The last 10 years have been dominated by motor mouth hosts who add little value to the presentation. An idea I have floated around is bringing Kathy Levine back to mentor hosts and also given a 3 hour show of her own doing fashions to help revaltilize the staleness.

@Reever  I started watching when my company went out of business in the nineties and I was home. When I got another job I could only watch at night of course, but I mostly watched regular tv at night. My relatives in their thirties are working all day, no tv.

Honored Contributor

Re: Future Of Home Shopping

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom 

QVC does have the best prices and has the best quality of Luminara candles they are almost double the price in gift shops and stores around here....

I purchased several from Amazon and they didnt work at all---had brand new batteries, tried several different batteries tried messing with the connections not able to get them to work.....😣😫 Ill stick with QVC for my Luminaries when the Q puts em on sale....

I also love my Kuhn Rikon can opener....And I loved when QVC showed many unique kitchen gadgets I didnt see in stores, I still use them all the time.....they need to offer more unique kitchen gadgets....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I disagree.  I think that's what's wrong with QVC right now, at least for me it is.

I don't want to watch a "fun carnival atmosphere".  I want to go back to the days when they accurately described the product.  Where they showed all the colors of a garment, gave measurements, and mentioned whether the dark background color of a print was black or navy.  When they showed the inside of purses and gave their dimensions.

If I want a carnival atmosphere, I'll go to a real carnival.

🎡🎢🎠

Esteemed Contributor

Going back to the 1990s with a host from the 1990s sure won't curb the "staleness."

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Reever wrote:

I disagree.  I think that's what's wrong with QVC right now, at least for me it is.

I don't want to watch a "fun carnival atmosphere".  I want to go back to the days when they accurately described the product.  Where they showed all the colors of a garment, gave measurements, and mentioned whether the dark background color of a print was black or navy.  When they showed the inside of purses and gave their dimensions.

If I want a carnival atmosphere, I'll go to a real carnival.

🎡🎢🎠

I see hosts regularly give color, length , and fabric description s throughout a presentation. You must be incredibly critical. 

Honored Contributor

'Gee', fashion and other items seem to 'sell out' quite quickly........

I don't 'get it'.

And they seem to keep hiring new hosts.  

Maybe long time hosts' salaries have been negotiated to a lower level?  

I really don't understand, unless they are comparing today's online sales (stores are now open) with Covid shutdown online sales.  

That would show a decrease in online sales because folks are out and about, shopping in stores as they did before Covid.

Well, something to think about anyway.....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

My time is valuable, the shopping networks don't seem to get that. I really don't want to put up with silliness, which they are rich with. A squirrel, a happy dance, made up vocabulary and over-sharing children's dance recitals. Get on with it! 

What's that saying? "Shut up and I might buy something." ?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield