Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think only baby boomers and older are watching these TV shopping networks... as we die off... that will be the end of QVC and HSN and ShopHQ on TV

iI agree with you and baby boomers and older are spending less on Q because of the economy and ones needs are less as we age.  I say we because I am a senior citizen and don't need as much as I used to.  Amazon is the way to go for busy parents needs and it arrives in a day or two.  My adult children shop online but never watch shopping channels.  They can't understand why I want to see things presented for so long and to listen to all the chit chat.  They want things fast and we all know qvc is not fast and returns are worse. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Future Of Home Shopping

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

Just checked the "recently aired" items. I see Cubii was on for an entire hour????  And people ask what is wrong with QVC and the shopping channels although I don't think HSN or ShopHQ spend an entire hour on one product???

I can tell you in 5 minutes or less if I am interested in something.  Who spends an hour watching before making a decision?  I have a Cubi and it is not difficult to understand or use; certainly doesnt need an hour to explain.  

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe 

@BalletBabe wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
It’s tiresome the way old people generalize about young people.

Seriously???  Many of us have children and we know what they like and don't like and none of them are watching QVC

Agree 100%.  You couldn't pay my adult children (early 40"s) to watch qvc.  They have no interest, however, they do enjoy some of the things I buy for them from qvc.  They are busy with their careers and children and don;t have time to shop on tv.  They do buy online, but their free time on tv is for pleasure, not shopping.

Respected Contributor

Being retired I have the time to sit and watch qvc if I feel like it.  I only watch if its something I may be interested in.  I have enough kitchen gadgets to last a lifetime, my clothing needs are minimal now that I don't go to work and have a different lifestyle, I don't buy the Valerie Par Hill items as much as I used to because I have run out of room to store things and honestly everything looks the same anymore.  how many lanterns does one need or candles, etc.  Plus, I don't have the income to support non essential purchases anymore. 

I enjoy qvc and would hate to see it be retired.  But trying to get the younger generation to watch is not going to work.  its a different world and I have a feeling home shopping is not going to last much longer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Future Of Home Shopping

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

If they played it right though---Qurate could still be effective because their advantage is customers get to see the products actually demonstrated live and get extra info from the host or vendor (hopefully)...Even Amazon must think thats a good way to bring in sales, since they experimenting with live demos......Dont make it an infomercial thats the key....

Where Qurate misses is presentations need to be effective ---short and hit the high points ---these long lengthy presentations just dont hack it in todays busy busy world....they need more variety in products too---

And they need to stop with all mattresses, beds, computers, vacuums 99% of every weekend...it looks like they've designated those days for the high ticket items....but is that the best use of the time when people are relaxing and may see something as the are flipping channels--Also you dont need 2 or 3 presentations of the TSV in one show!!! especially when you are showcasing it all day long...🤔....

And I agree, while a pleasant informed host is important 2 on the same show arent necessary and "the host are friends" and the silliness and family stories doesnt work either....and is a turnoff...and their financials prove it...

Definitely on point! I dread QVC on the weekend. I can always count on a trac phone, vacuum, mattress, electronics, etc. Ugh!  I will add where I think QVC is losing customers is; their ridiculous return fees, and hosts that talk about themselves incessantly, rather than focus on the item. Especially when it's a TSV. The presentation seems endless, and it turns into the host talking to the vendor about their personal lives. Keep it short, relevant, professional and informative! 

Trusted Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@BalletBabe 

@BalletBabe wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Seriously???  Many of us have children and we know what they like and don't like and none of them are watching QVC

Agree 100%.  You couldn't pay my adult children (early 40"s) to watch qvc.  They have no interest, however, they do enjoy some of the things I buy for them from qvc.  They are busy with their careers and children and don;t have time to shop on tv.  They do buy online, but their free time on tv is for pleasure, not shopping.

I'm the same age as your children and while I don't watch QVC for hours at a time ever, I do check the items recently aired every day, as well as reading here at times.  

As a retail executive, what matters in my company right now are points of access.  QVC has many points of access to shop--TV, website, app and even social media.  Just because younger generations aren't watching all the time or even ever, doesn't mean they're not buying.  I buy things all the time and don't even watch the videos.   

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think only baby boomers and older are watching these TV shopping networks... as we die off... that will be the end of QVC and HSN and ShopHQ on TV

iI agree with you and baby boomers and older are spending less on Q because of the economy and ones needs are less as we age.  I say we because I am a senior citizen and don't need as much as I used to.  Amazon is the way to go for busy parents needs and it arrives in a day or two.  My adult children shop online but never watch shopping channels.  They can't understand why I want to see things presented for so long and to listen to all the chit chat.  They want things fast and we all know qvc is not fast and returns are worse. 

@Catch71  For me, having the shopping Channel on is just back ground noise mostly...often I am not even interested in the products offered.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Me too on background noise.....I live alone and it's nice to hear a voice now and then...but not enough to glue myself to the set...

Mostly I have it on because NO Poliitcs,NO bad news, NO sniping, NO attacks on personalities, NO daily bloodyhorror show...

Just bland appraisals of inanimate objects...upbeat, happy talk, and banal....

And sometimes I might buy!!!!

Alas....as the population ages and more people realize they don't NEED anymore "stuff" ( Like a former poster said...how many candles, lanterns, etc does one need??? It DOES all look the same....and it's getting to the point where you need a home equity loan to pay for all the batteries....and not to mention storage!!!

I was called to report for jury selection last week, and being retired for 9 years, I hadn't "dressed up" for anything in a LOOOONNNNNGGG time...I agonized over how to dress, because we were sent a primer on what was NOT allowed in court....shorts, tank tops, sloganed tee shirts,etc...)

But I didn't want to buy new so I crafted a modest outfit from....gasp...clothes I'd BOUGHT but hadn't worn....slacks from Demin and Company, some blouses from Susan Graver, I found a brand new Tignanello bag AND a brand new purse with the security feature so cards can't be read ( can't recall what that's called)...

Anyway, I looked nice when I went for the four hours it took.

Most of the others prospective jurors showed up in shorts, tee shirts, tank tops and clothes that looked like they dressed in a five minute stopover in a bus station restroom, or clothes they mowed the lawn in the day before.

Sigh.

But finding that brand new "still in the plastic wrappers"clothes drove home that I don't need any more stuff....

But I'll keep QVC on in the background!! David can dance, Mary D. can laugh, Shawn can be silly., Alberti and friends can stuff themselves with overpriced hot dogs .... I still have the off button if it gets too much, but they'll all be there tomorrow again to fill the void with fluffy , mindless happy jabber....EVERYTHING is wonderful!!!!

So YES since I don't buy much, I am contributing to the demise of Home Shopping....

Respected Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

@Catch71 wrote:

@BalletBabe 

@BalletBabe wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

I'm the same age as your children and while I don't watch QVC for hours at a time ever, I do check the items recently aired every day, as well as reading here at times.  

As a retail executive, what matters in my company right now are points of access.  QVC has many points of access to shop--TV, website, app and even social media.  Just because younger generations aren't watching all the time or even ever, doesn't mean they're not buying.  I buy things all the time and don't even watch the videos.   

I can only speak for my kids and my friends kids. None of them shop qvc. They have their favorite clothing stores, busy buying for their young children, picking up household needs in Target, etc. It's just not where they shop.  

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen   I could have written your post Word For Word😄