Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Sadly the younger generation has not embraced Home Shopping Networks the way we did in the 1990s. I used to circle the programs in the printed guide that were appointment viewing and would keep QVC from the morning show through the late hours of the evening. QVC needs to go back to the days of whimsy. Apparently hosts are now under pressure to sell. Back in the day it was much more a fun carnival atmosphere.  The last 10 years have been dominated by motor mouth hosts who add little value to the presentation. An idea I have floated around is bringing Kathy Levine back to mentor hosts and also given a 3 hour show of her own doing fashions to help revaltilize the staleness.

I disagree.  I think that's what's wrong with QVC right now, at least for me it is.

I don't want to watch a "fun carnival atmosphere".  I want to go back to the days when they accurately described the product.  Where they showed all the colors of a garment, gave measurements, and mentioned whether the dark background color of a print was black or navy.  When they showed the inside of purses and gave their dimensions.

If I want a carnival atmosphere, I'll go to a real carnival.

🎡🎢🎠

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Going back to the 1990s with a host from the 1990s sure won't curb the "staleness."

I disagree....I think it would

Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

My time is valuable, the shopping networks don't seem to get that. I really don't want to put up with silliness, which they are rich with. A squirrel, a happy dance, made up vocabulary and over-sharing children's dance recitals. Get on with it! 

What's that saying? "Shut up and I might buy something." ?

Definitely!! Ya,.....what she said!

Respected Contributor
I agree with you Jacie. Your post made me laugh. Made up vocabulary words is accurate. The hosts probably think they are being cute while butchering the English language.
Contributor

I SAW ON FB A VIDIEO OF A LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW AND ISSIAC WAS ON THE HOST ASKED IS IT TRUE YOU REFUSED TO DESIGN CLOTHES FOR A WHITE HOUSE PERSON? HIS ANSWER WAS YES..POLITICAL TALK SHOULD NOT BE SAID WHEN YOUR IN THE PUBLIC EYE.WE ALL KNOW WHO HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SO I REFUSE TO BUY ANOTHER THING FROM HIM I DON'T EVEN LOOK AT HIS CLOTHES ANY MORE.BOTTOM LINE KEEP YOUR POLITICAL THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF.ANOTHER WAY FOR HOME SHOPPING TO GO OUT.Smiley Mad

Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
It’s tiresome the way old people generalize about young people.

@RollTide2008 ITA! Very tiresome. Equally when people generalize about old people. 

We can never really understand the world a different generation grew up in. (Or even a different person...) There are no "right" answers and change is part of life.

'Scuse the clichés. Also tiresome.

Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen  Enjoyed your post! Especially this bit:

"...Mostly I have it on because NO Poliitcs, NO bad news, NO sniping, NO attacks on personalities, NO daily bloody horror show..."

Keepin' it real.

Honored Contributor

Re: Future Of Home Shopping

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Sadly the younger generation has not embraced Home Shopping Networks the way we did in the 1990s. I used to circle the programs in the printed guide that were appointment viewing and would keep QVC from the morning show through the late hours of the evening. QVC needs to go back to the days of whimsy. Apparently hosts are now under pressure to sell. Back in the day it was much more a fun carnival atmosphere.  The last 10 years have been dominated by motor mouth hosts who add little value to the presentation. An idea I have floated around is bringing Kathy Levine back to mentor hosts and also given a 3 hour show of her own doing fashions to help revaltilize the staleness.

I disagree.  I think that's what's wrong with QVC right now, at least for me it is.

I don't want to watch a "fun carnival atmosphere".  I want to go back to the days when they accurately described the product.  Where they showed all the colors of a garment, gave measurements, and mentioned whether the dark background color of a print was black or navy.  When they showed the inside of purses and gave their dimensions.

If I want a carnival atmosphere, I'll go to a real carnival.

🎡🎢🎠

I see hosts regularly give color, length , and fabric description s throughout a presentation. You must be incredibly critical. 

@ellaphant 

Perhaps I am.  Or perhaps I happen to watch different hosts than you do.

I will say that there is one that does give an adequate description most of the time.  But I've watched too many presentations that never adequately show closeups of purse interiors or fabric colors, just to give one example.  Part of that is the show producer's fault and not necessarily the host.

Then there was the time that the host spent the entire presentation 'oohing and aahing' about a bag that sold out before she ever showed any of the details.  So, yes, if other people are buying like that, then maybe I am too critical by today's standards.  

But critical or not, I'm not giving them my money without seeing what I'm buying.

Esteemed Contributor

It seems like they don't have "enough" products to sell. They take much too long on too few items. If they moved it along with many products, there would be no time for hosts to make fools of themselves and bore people to death. 

Be a company with many products; show many; move them along quickly. Shopkpers aren't there to listen to nonsense for most of the time, instead of products. 

If they want to be successful, bring lots of new stuff like they once used to. Instead of getting rid of all vendors, just wanting most in-house boring same old each and every day! 

The Q has lost their way and can't figure out anything that's needed. If you're in the business of selling, BRING THE MERCHANDISE and lots of it!

Respected Contributor

I agree with the posters that say QVC is not keeping up with how people shop today.  They will not be here in under 10 years I believe.  It is because they do not listen to their customers.  All they do is change Presidents of the company. That does not address the problems. Problems that have been complained about for years...pre-pandemic go unfixed.  Tired, old vendors and items for sale. Annoying unprofessional hosts. If they are trying to attract a younger customer, they are failing miserably.   To bad. It was at one time a fantastic shopping channel. I enjoyed watching and buying. Now, I'll spend my money elsewhere.