Respected Contributor

Re: Fun thread: what do you call the thing with wheel in Supermarkets?

@Sooner Of course it is a basket. Just look at it. It is a rectangular metal basket on wheels. That is unless you are at Target, then it is a rectangular plastic basket. LOL

Honored Contributor

Because of the title of the thread I didn't read any other posts. We call them "the cart" most of the time, or maybe "shopping cart" once in a while.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Funny, I never thought about it until this thread, but I've always called it a basket, too. As have the rest of my family.

How did that originate? A shopping cart is bigger than a basket. And, it doesn't look like a basket. It looks like a cart. 

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sooner Of course it is a basket. Just look at it. It is a rectangular metal basket on wheels. That is unless you are at Target, then it is a rectangular plastic basket. LOL

@On It Yes!  Thank you!  LOL!!!!  It IS a basket!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Sooner  Funny, I never thought about it until this thread, but I've always called it a basket, too. As have the rest of my family.

How did that originate? A shopping cart is bigger than a basket. And, it doesn't look like a basket. It looks like a cart. 

@BlueFinch wrote:

@BlueFinch I think in this farming country I grew up in a "cart" would be more like a horse or mule drawn cart for produce.  I know kids used to have goat carts.

But you go out to the garden with a basket.  There are metal potato baskets too from back in the day.  And yes, thanks to the post above, it IS a basket!  LOL!!!!  You pick strawberries and put them in a basket.  Flowers go in a basket, eggs go in a basket etc. etc.  

Honored Contributor

If someone called them buggy, I'd expect to see horses or an old car.  

We call them shopping carts.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

VA. It's called a grocery cart, or cart for short. 

In a Walmarts or other type of shopping, like TJ Maxx, it would be called a shopping cart, or a cart. 

Never heard of the others. 

Contributor

Georgia girl here. The first word that comes to mind is "buggy" though I sometimes say "cart." I never push one through the "supermarket," however. I call it the "grocery store."

Trusted Contributor

@mormel20  Mid Atlantic state here. We call them carts.

Trusted Contributor

Hello from the Northeast! In the grocery store I call it a grocery cart. In other stores I call it a shopping cart. I love that you call your grocery store a Supermarket! Maybe I'll start calling mine a Supermarket and see if anyone looks at me and says to themself... Supermarket?? Ha!