Regular Contributor

Im not sure about the rest of you but i see a distinct change in marketing, and maybe its conducive with the rest of the world, bland, non distinctive, roboitic, boring, generic...lets make it as impersonal as possible and hopefully it will entice.  I love Dan Hughes, Jane, Shawn, David...ect, irregardless of their many destinctive flaws that you all find annoying, but I hope that all you complainers will be much happier to see less personal, less `sharing because thats what im seeing.  There are 4 qvc channels running, most pre recorded.  Zzzzzzzzz.  I used to enjoy having qvc running somewhere in my house in the background...no longer.  All those channels mean nothing to me and all the complainers, I hope you get what you wished for.

Honored Contributor

Re: For what its worth...

[ Edited ]

@_O_ wrote:

Im not sure about the rest of you but i see a distinct change in marketing, and maybe its conducive with the rest of the world, bland, non distinctive, roboitic, boring, generic...lets make it as impersonal as possible and hopefully it will entice.  I love Dan Hughes, Jane, Shawn, David...ect, irregardless of their many destinctive flaws that you all find annoying, but I hope that all you complainers will be much happier to see less personal, less `sharing because thats what im seeing.  There are 4 qvc channels running, most pre recorded.  Zzzzzzzzz.  I used to enjoy having qvc running somewhere in my house in the background...no longer.  All those channels mean nothing to me and all the complainers, I hope you get what you wished for.

@_O_   What???

First, please don't count me in all.  It amazes me when posters use that word here, as if there truly is only one voice for every opinion.  Personally, I have never been a fan of a just the facts type of on-air decorum for QVC.  I think that would be boring and defeats the purpose of having live hosts at all. For what it's worth, QVC is mostly live programming or right at 50% (not mostly pre-recorded); I don't even consider that 4th channel [Beauty iQ, which is only digital now].   

On the other side of the spectrum, I turn the channel when a host does yoga poses and screams or does cartoon noises for no reason but to draw attention to herself.  Or when a vendor insists on music to dance to show everyone's backside in the same pants she's been selling for 20 years.

Other than that, not too much else distracts me from enjoying QVC.  I've always enjoyed Jane, David, Dan, Leah, Antonella, etc. 

Can you give examples of what you see as robotic and bland? 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm really not sure what QVC shows you have been watching, but I see a distinct escalation in the personal tales and stories.  Sure, it varies among hosts, but I believe all of them have been told to ratchet it up in order to become friends with shoppers and entice them to visit hosts' social media pages, filled with photos of family, vacations, homes and meals.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I'm really not sure what QVC shows you have been watching, but I see a distinct escalation in the personal tales and stories.  Sure, it varies among hosts, but I believe all of them have been told to ratchet it up in order to become friends with shoppers and entice them to visit hosts' social media pages, filled with photos of family, vacations, homes and meals.

I think you are right on this

thinking about 2 recently departed hosts, maybe they werent as eager to be part of that?  

Respected Contributor

Re: For what its worth...

[ Edited ]

And now many (or most) of the shows are advertised as FUN with "host's name". Reminds me, sadly, of FUN WITH RICHARD & JANE.  Same maturity level.  I really don't consider shopping on a tv channel to be FUN.  It certainly isn't fun to see a middle aged man dancing over a plate of macaroni or someone poking food into their too eager mouth.  And it's not fun to see grown women exposing their back bumpers to music in order to sell us on buying some vendor's pants. What a turn off.  

I am finding that more often than not the hosts are annoying rather than appealing, and this applies to the more experienced hosts as well as the newbies - most of whom are unwatchable for me.  So who do I enjoy watching?  Dan Hughes is great and I'm so glad he is on more lately.  Carolyn,  Katie M., Jill Bauer (so sorry she's retiring) and the new host Ali.  I rarely watch anyone else. If I'm looing for fun, there are a million other places to look, starting with my family. And lots of entertainment channels. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager  ITA. It seems w/ many shows, there are questions asked for the day for the viewers’ responses, a sidekick with an IPad reporting stories and comments coming in and a general switch to an entertainment aura rather than more of an emphasis on facts and moving on to the next item.

I don’t want to be entertained by the hosts or vendors. If I watch, more rarely, I don’t need them to be my friends. It does not influence my purchases whether they have the item in 3 colors, use the skincare exclusively (can they really use every line presented exclusively?), or their suggestions where I’m going to wear a particular item. I’ve appropriately dressed myself since I was 6. 

Honored Contributor

@Perkup  I never understood people who keep QVC on as background "noise."  It's a shopping channel not "entertainment" IMO.  There are other places to get noise, e.g,, the radio!

Esteemed Contributor

It's pretty difficult to not see the expanding entertainment focus of QVC programming, whether one likes it or not, responds to it or not.

As noted, the Facebook question of the day relayed by the hosts' "sidekick secretary" is ubiquitous.  Have fun with us while you watch and give us your answer to this fun question!

And they call an entire night of programming "Fri-Yay!"....I mean, come on, is that not entertainment, or what?

QVC (and, to a lesser degree for now HSN) is all about entertaining the viewer, trying to capture the attention of the channel surfer and hoping they stick around awhile to watch before they download the app or visit the website to buy.

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It's pretty difficult to not see the expanding entertainment focus of QVC programming, whether one likes it or not, responds to it or not.

As noted, the Facebook question of the day relayed by the hosts' "sidekick secretary" is ubiquitous.  Have fun with us while you watch and give us your answer to this fun question!

And they call an entire night of programming "Fri-Yay!"....I mean, come on, is that not entertainment, or what?

QVC (and, to a lesser degree for now HSN) is all about entertaining the viewer, trying to capture the attention of the channel surfer and hoping they stick around awhile to watch before they download the app or visit the website to buy.

Dance! Dance! Dance!

I don’t even mind all that, if, in between the “entertainment”, they could manage to throw in a few accurate facts about the product they’re over the moon about.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know what shopping channel you're watching, but most of the shows I've stopped by to watch are too HYPER.  Between vendors and hosts talking over one another and ridiculous dancing that no one really keeps a beat to, all of it is way over the top.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want just a litany of facts about the item tossed out either, but when when a host says you can pick a red fan because it may match your favorite team color, then the presentation has gone off the rails.  And yes, a longtime host DID say that yesterday during her show.  I get it,  QVC is trying to figure out how to maintain a viewing audience since it's been shrinking through the years.  I personally think they're going about it all wrong, but I'm probably not the demographic they're trying to target.  Yes, I like Dan, Caroline and Jill and wish there were more hosts like them.  In the meantime, I'll either tune in and mute my tv or shop online.  I'm reminded that a few decades ago, QVC did entertain us in many ways. Kathy Levine and Joan Rivers were so funny together I often felt as if I were at a comedy club.  Jill and David doing Warner Bros. shows were informative with their presentations.  The old three hour Sunday morning silver shows always held my attention.  Different world now and I guess that means a different sales approach.  Oh well.