Regular Contributor
Roberta's Flowers featured a Desert Rose flower that would live 100 years. The host was Kirsten and she was naming off who you could give the plant to. She mentioned give it to someone in Hospice. This was a strange idea, give a person who is about to die a plant that will live a hundred years. Poor choice of wordsl
Honored Contributor

I'm not in hospice (thankfully), but I won't be living for a hundred years either. It's a flower. Maybe it would bring a smile to a sick person.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Suzy's point is true and well taken, but yes, OP, I agree that another example might well have made more sense...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor
Thankfully, I don't have to do nearly the amount of public speaking, that I was did, professionally. I pretty much hate it, and that's with the option of preparing, practicing, etc. if you've ever taken speech classes, I'm sure you've had to give, brief impromptu speeches. For a few minutes! Gaaaaawww! I can't imagine going on national TV, and doing live, unscripted, unrehearsed shows, for hours, day in and day out! Yes it's their career choice, and I'm sure there is training that they do, but, live is live! It has to take definite skill sets, gives me nightmares thinking about it! I'm think of some of the foot in mouthitis mistakes I've made over the years, the horror of them being on national TV( I can't even think about it)!
Contributor
As an HR trainer for a large firm, public speaking is an important part of my job, and I enjoy it. I've learned to be a pretty quick thinker, on my feet, and do OK, in impromptu situations. However, it is far more difficult. I can't imagine enjoying a job that revolved around it. Especially, not one where you're totally exposed, on a national broadcast. Different strokes, but, not for me. Probably why I always cut the Hosts some slack.