Honored Contributor

Re: Flashback Friday to LR in Vicenza Italy

[ Edited ]

The shows from Italy provided some much needed variety in the programming....

I think I tuned into the Vicenza shows to see the beautiful scenery and see what beautiful gown Lisa was wearing more so than tuning in to buy the jewelry---not so impressed with the jewelry designs/styles.........

And I agree that LR has the perfect "broadcast voice"...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I actually liked these shows in the beginning, and then they got weird, with Lisa lowering her voice to speak reverently in hushed tones about a pricy necklace or bracelet. Too theatrical!!! 

But it I agree (when she wasn’t acting silly) that LR was the right host for this event. Nothing has really worked since. Edited to add: she was not a goddess (maybe Medusa with hair styles) nor did I get transported via a Calgon moment. If that foolishness were left off, we might get a real discussion @JONNYSBRO

@SunValley

I think Lisa said that she had to whisper a bit because they were filming in the wee hours of the morning in Italy due to the time difference and someone was staying at the Villa....

Okay, I give her a pass for consideration, but that guest must have followed the Q to quite a few locations...

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zanna wrote:

Lisa always looked beautiful and I loved seeing her in elegant gowns.  But what I miss most is her voice, which has a lower tone that I find calming and easy on the ears.  

She did have probably the best 'broadcast voice' of any of the QVC hosts... then and certainly now... 

I did enjoy seeing the beautiful villas they visited and the pretty dresses she wore for these events and some of the jewelry, especially in the earlier broadcasts, was magnificent...

@stevieb Best broadcast voice is perfect.  Lisa had one of the best voices in TV shopping.  I’ll put aside those times she missed the mark with her uber-dramatically serene golf voice when she sold Italian-made jewelry.  All other times, Lisa’s voice was definitely one of the best in the biz.  

Oh oh how I miss good TV shopping voices. 

@Caaareful Shopper... I agree. The new 'frantic' approach to hosting and all those nasal, Valley Girl, squealing, overly accented, squeaky and other newer voices and cadences are just annoying and so I don't watch. LR's golf voice was sort of humorous, but otherwise, she had a great voice for her job.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like Antonella, but didn't watch much of her foray to Italy and didn't much enjoy what I saw. The fact is that toward the end of Lisa's trips and for Antonella's trip, they were showing lower end, essentially costume, jewelry and there was simply no reason to go to Italy to show stuff they routinely showed in their studio... In the day, most of what they showed during the Italian trips was fine jewelry, with a few fashion pieces thrown in. Once they did the 180 and it was all bronzo, crystals and fake diamonds, I lost interest in anything other than the settings and the gowns... Once they deep sixed the villas and the dresses, there was really no reason to watch... I remember when the trip to Italy was twice yearly and then they cut back to once... I also remember the trip Lisa made to Vienna, which was also a beautiful show... QVC doesn't do anything like that any more and even if they did, like her or not, I can't see any of the current hosts filling that 'glamor' niche...

Respected Contributor

@stevieb getting right to the heart of the matter, always 🤔🤗 gawd, you're good.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @skuggles. That's very nice of you to say and nice to hear...

Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

I really miss those shows from Italy!!  They were a real treat!   Woman Wink

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

@JONNYSBRO wrote:
https://youtu.be/PQfszeqO_EY

Wow when i saw this video it give me chills how beautiful Italy was and how this was a huge annual event. LR looked like a goddess in her gorgeous dress and it just makes me remember the exciting times of QVC. It made us as a viewer have that calgon take m me away moment. The massive amounts of sellouts she would do on vicenza. Sadly after LR the event was no longer the same and cancelled. What a glorious flashback to remember

Newsflash -- Italy is still beautiful and always will be.  Alas, not everything ages as well.  Some things are better seen now through filters and photoshopped to the max. 

@hellodali YES, I AGREE ... in addition to wigs & multiple hair pieces .. so sad 😭 

Respected Contributor

I also think Antonella had command of an Itallian accent -- LR tried and tried, but just could not sound Italian. 

I saw a pic of LR recently doing one of her sales-from-home videos.  What's with the Rapunzel hair?  There is a certain age where that type of hair looks like the person is trying much too hard.  Women of her age don't have hair hanging down to their waist.  I bet she would actually look good if she got a short haircut. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My fondest memories of the Vincenza shows was listening to the birds in Italy.   Since dawn was just breaking you would hear them chirping and singing as they woke up. The grounds were so beautiful and seeing the day beginning in Italy just made me feel calm.  

Although I wasn't a huge fan of LR, I will say she was the best one that they could have chosen for that show.    She really added the right flair to that show.