Occasional Contributor

Female hosts should be embraced regardless of hair color just as male hosts are.

Women are under pressure to color their hair, men not so much. I stopped coloring my hair in my 50s when the grey roots started showing after 2 weeks. I'm glad I did. I hope we continue to appreciate everyone including QVC hosts as we all age. Grey/Gray is beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Re: Female hosts should be embraced regardless of hair color just as male hosts are.

Is there a particular reason you brought his up? I haven't seen anyone post to the contrary.

Honored Contributor

Re: Female hosts should be embraced regardless of hair color just as male hosts are.

I'm in my 50's and I'm not under any pressure to color my hair.  I like my hair better without the grey strands. 

Honored Contributor

Why are women under pressure to color their hair?  I haven't seen anything that would indicate that.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I've seen plenty of men on tv that obviously color their hair.  Some do it badly.  It's a turn off for me.

I wish everyone could be allowed to age gracefully if they so choose.

Honored Contributor

@EverettBarb 

These aren’t our friends. They are hardcore sales people. Hair color doesn’t matter but they certainly shouldn’t be complained about or embraced either one. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen some stunning women with gray hair, but we have had a youth oriented culture for a long time.  Youth is in, middle age and seniors are out.  Some cultures honor their older folks over youth because they respect knowledge and experience.

For women wanting to get a job or keeping it in the U.S., their chances are better if they don't have gray hair.  It's also a reason for face lifts. 

Everywhere we look, someone is telling us to stay out of the sun, use SPF lotions, touting the use of creams and serums to erase wrinkles and tighten jowls.  

Employment isn't the only reason.  Some women don't like their natural gray color and look better in a different color.  Some want to look younger for their husbands, and, yes, some want to appear younger because of this pressure to look young.  

I don't think we'll ever see female hosts going gray.  

Esteemed Contributor

There are a couple of Q hosts I'm not going to "embrace" and their hair has nothing to do with my feelings about that.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure if the hosts wanted to go grey - it would be fine. Not everyone does though....and might like to continue coloring their hair. 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee I totally agree with your comments.  I was gray early, growing tired of having a snow line, two weeks after coloring.  

At around 40, I thought I'd grow it out.  I immediately had negative responses and stares from coworkers, but no one said anything.  Then one day, a Tech was hanging over my shoulder as I charted.  It seems he was the one appointed to get me on track. He said: "You're really letting yourself go." Really?  Still youthful, with the same body, same brain, but just going to the gray dogs.

I decided as long as I worked, I'd not 'let myself go,' and colored again. I did so until about a year ago. I'm fully gray now and really enjoy it.

However, a year hasn't made much difference in how I look, otherwise, but I'm treated very differently. I don't have to ask for a senor discount now -- I'm treated like a senior wherever I go.  

I think my gray has probably added ten years to the perception of others regarding my age, when men are considered more distinguished when they go gray. No one says they're letting themselves go, or it's aging them. Women just begin to become invisible, if not willing to play the game.