Honored Contributor

Re: Female hosts should be embraced regardless of hair color just as male hosts are.

@AuntG wrote:

It's true you rarely see newscasters or TV actresses embracing their gray strands. Youth is pushed on us all day long. I watched a Perry Mason episode from the late 1950's and Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton) was credited as 'old lady'  - when looked her up, she wasn't even 50 when she played that part (born 1911 and filmed in 1959).

@AuntG  - back in 1959, someone 50 was viewed differently as someone in their 50's today.  A 50-something year old today doesn't look like a 50-something year old did in 1959.  There's no comparison.

Honored Contributor

Re: Female hosts should be embraced regardless of hair color just as male hosts are.

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

It's true you rarely see newscasters or TV actresses embracing their gray strands. Youth is pushed on us all day long. I watched a Perry Mason episode from the late 1950's and Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton) was credited as 'old lady'  - when looked her up, she wasn't even 50 when she played that part (born 1911 and filmed in 1959).

@AuntG  - back in 1959, someone 50 was viewed differently as someone in their 50's today.  A 50-something year old today doesn't look like a 50-something year old did in 1959.  There's no comparison.

@San Antonio Gal By the same standard, people should be allowed to grow old, SAY they are old, understand they are old and be respected for saying it.

There is shame in being old.  Period.  The term "senior" is a prime example.  Why can't you just say  "I am old" or "older"?  You aren't in high school, you aren't a senior--you are old.  It's ok.  You shouldn't have to look young, be young, or act young (metaphor for old fool?).  

SIxty is not the new 40.  It is 60.  And that's ok! And I will add, I do not want gray hair I look washed out in gray and will continue to avoid gray hair.  I admit I am old frequently and without issues about it.  But I don't want gray hair and there is no shame in that either. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@EverettBarb wrote:

Women are under pressure to color their hair, men not so much. I stopped coloring my hair in my 50s when the grey roots started showing after 2 weeks. I'm glad I did. I hope we continue to appreciate everyone including QVC hosts as we all age. Grey/Gray is beautiful!

@EverettBarb And NOT GRAY is beautiful as well.

So true!

I'm 66 and get highlights & a color blend 2x a year.  I have no gray roots.  Not everyone goes gray early.