Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook Post Burying Rick D. in the sand

[ Edited ]

When  I was a kid, we did this all of the time and took pictures.

You just dig out a trench that is long and not very deep.  The person lays down and lounges back like they were in a recliner.  

Sand is filled in around the person and around their shoulders.  There is nothing to cave in and bear weight on your chest.  You are actually right under the surface of the sand which is inches deep.

Rick can use his hands to get out and stand up.

To actually bury someone standing up is dangerous, but this is not what has been done.  

Didn't anyone else do it when they were young, the safe way?

Respected Contributor

Its a joke! C'mon!
Respected Contributor

Lighten up!
Trusted Contributor

I don't actually think it is Rick. It's a two photo set up. I looked carefully and I think what seems to be just Rick's head is a mannequin. There is a distinct seam at his neck that is just implausible to to be a neck wrinkle of any type. It's intended to fool you. They took stills and video up to a certain point and then stick a mannequin head in the sand, wearing the hat & glasses the other photos associate with real Rick.

I find this just a spoof on "fun at the beach". QVC is not inspiring or advising or teaching anyone to go get buried in sand. There's a limit to "saving" everyone from every stupid idea they may get by looking at others. People do stupid stuff every day without believing they saw it somewhere else and ran right out to do it. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When  I was a kid, we did this all of the time and took pictures.

You just dig out a trench that is long and not very deep.  The person lays down and lounges back like they were in a recliner.  

Sand is filled in around the person and around their shoulders.  There is nothing to cave in and bear weight on your chest.  You are actually right under the surface of the sand which is inches deep.

Rick can use his hands to get out and stand up.

To actually bury someone standing up is dangerous, but this is not what has been done.  

Didn't anyone else do it when they were young, the safe way?

From the pictures posted it doesn't look like that is what was done.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal   At first glance, I thought it looked like a mannequin head too. The face looks plastic.

It is either a mannequin or he is sitting with his legs stretched out in a shallow trench, or his head could be cut and pasted into the sand.

Anyway, there is no danger.  QVC and Rick are not that stupid.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99   Well, there is no way anyone dug out sand for a 6 ft something man to stand up in and be buried in.

I have pictures of my husband that looks just like this.  He looks buried, but is just sitting with his legs stretched out with sand bundled around him.

Frequent Contributor

It's definitely photoshopped, but wrong on so many other levels. 🙄

Trusted Contributor

Photoshop.  It's so obvious. 

If they actually showed him being buried, I'd believe it. 

Trusted Contributor

My first thought when I saw this was it looked very dangerous to me and Rick did not look very comfortable with it either. I don't like it at all..