Esteemed Contributor

Re: FYI SUNDAY RILEY WAS CAUGHT IN A SCHEME TO BURRY BAD REVIEWS AND CREATE FAKE GOOD ONES! Google i

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The funniest thing is that with the settlement the FTC extracted a promise that she and her company would not engage in this practice again.

Granted, shutting them down would have been extreme and harsh, but a financial penalty might have carried more weight.

As obnoxious as it is, the practice of posting fake reviews is probably rampant across all industries and businesses.

@Johnnyeager 

I agree entirely   ...  but one has to remember the "climate" and times under which we currently live.   It's certainly business-friendly, if nothing else.   The FTC is not a stand-alone entity, contrary to what is stated about its mission.

Honored Contributor

Re: FYI SUNDAY RILEY WAS CAUGHT IN A SCHEME TO BURRY BAD REVIEWS AND CREATE FAKE GOOD ONES! Google i

What the heck is this about?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

I'll point out that 2 FTC Commissioners dissented with the other 3, finding that the settlement should have been more severe.  These 2 Commissioners focused on the damage and harm of fake reviews and sought financial penalties and disgorgement of profits.  Here is the summary of their dissent:

STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER ROHIT CHOPRA
JOINED BY COMMISSIONER REBECCA KELLY SLAUGHTER
In the Matter of Sunday Riley
Commission File No. 1923008
October 21, 2019

Summary
• Fake reviews distort our markets by rewarding bad actors and harming honest companies. The problem is growing, and the Federal Trade Commission should attack it.
• Regulators around the world are concerned about fake review fraud. But by proposing a no-money, no-fault order for an unambiguous violation of law, this action does little to
address the epidemic of fake reviews online.
• Going forward, the FTC should seek monetary consequences for fake review fraud, even
if the exact level of ill-gotten gains is difficult to measure. The agency should also
comprehensively analyze the problem of fake reviews, including whether or not ecommerce firms have the right incentives to police their platforms.

Honored Contributor

And again: What the heck is this about?

Valued Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

And again: What the heck is this about?

@Group 5 minus 1  Apparently Sunday Riley is a cosmetics brand and was caught a while back having people from her company post fake reviews to make her company look better/discredit any "poor" reviews

She is now selling on the Q, which I guess prompted the OP to post about it to warn others. (Myself included) I had no idea who/what Sunday Riley was lol

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Thank you,Brandi!

Trusted Contributor

It's really too bad. Her products can stand on their own just fine. Probably won't stop her (or other beauty companies) from continuing the practice.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CRM00 wrote:

And "screaming hysterics"? You do realize it's called capital letters and many people type this way. Why would you even care if I type in capital letters anyways? 

Because typing in all capital letters is considered to be SCREAMING in nettiquette.

This story is two years old, so yes, it is considered to be old news.

@Anonymous032819   It may be old news but it's new to me!  I like to try different cosmetic lines and the Q has pushed this brand in the past...I had considered checking it out at some point but not anymore.  

I thank the OP to bringing this to my attention!

Honored Contributor

i generally dont put much weight on reviews good or bad, except when there are a huge amount of all poor ones.

i do prefer to test items and form my own opinion, especially since we all have different wants, needs, skincare issues, and spending levels. no one will be able to tell me what will work for me EXCEPT for me!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein