Esteemed Contributor

EXpecting a large check to be delivered by FED EX today containing proceeds of a real,estate settlement.  I was told signature would be required and I knew I would be gone most of the day today so I figured that if they attempted to,deliver it while I was out they would leave me a notice on the door that I could sign and they would leave the envelope tomorrow if I was not home.  GOt home at 4 PM. No notice on the door and no delivery.   ACcessed FEDEX on line tracking.  TRacking says delivered at 10:49 this morning and left at front door..  Umm nope!  ACcessed FEDEX on line chat.  ENvelope was delivered to another address not mine.  Now they have sent someone out to hopefully retrieve the envelope and deliver it to me by 8pm tonight.

Respected Contributor

Oh no!  Of all things to mess up!  I hope they find your check asap and get it to you today.

Honored Contributor

Whenever we send things out via FedEx, we have to let them know we want a signature and that it can't just be left.

I wonder if the title company, or whoever it was that was sending your check, failed to indicate a signature was required?  Still, it being left at the wrong house was on FedEx. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet  The screw-up certainly isn't your fault, but knowing you wouldn't be home most of the day, you should have arranged to have it held or re-routing to someone you trusted to take it in.

I would certainly not have planned to sign a notice left on your door (today)  for the driver just to leave a large check from a real estate transaction.  Once you signed that and still didn't get the envelope, there would be no recourse to get it as you would have signed for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Whenever we send things out via FedEx, we have to let them know we want a signature and that it can't just be left.

I wonder if the title company, or whoever it was that was sending your check, failed to indicate a signature was required?  Still, it being left at the wrong house was on FedEx. 

the E mail from the settlement company told me a signature was required.  HOwever the tracking info from FEDEX says "signature requirement waived".  I don't know who "waived"the signature requirement.  I certainly didn't.  I did E Mail the settlement company to let them know what was occurring.  MAybe they waived it.  

Trusted Contributor

Whenever I go away, even just 3 days, I have all possible deliveries held and then delivered once I get back home.  Sometimes backorders and auto deliveries are sent unexpectedly.  Regular orders sometimes arrive ahead of schedule.   I arrange with UPS by phone at my driver's hub and I get forms from USPS to fill out as needed and put them in my mailbox a few days in advance.   For years this has worked for me.   

Esteemed Contributor

JUst got a E Mail,from the settlement company.  A woman just called their office to tell them that she got home a short while ago to find my envelope on their front porch. THe only thing that is the same is that her house number on her street is the same as my house number on my street.  SHe is going to let them know when FedEx picks up the package and they will let me know.

Honored Contributor

Re: FED EX screw up

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet  That was nice of her to do; I'm glad it was found.

Respected Contributor

I used to consider Fed ex the gold standard of delivery companies but no longer.

I had a $800 piece of jewelry shipped to me with signature required, well it was handed off to USPS and the mail person signed for it and put it in my mailbox (which is locked).

Respected Contributor

I always arrange to pick up at the fedex store direct. so much easier and less stress