New Contributor

Why are mostly all the hosts wearing eyeglasses?  Have they all suddenly developed eye problems????  Has anyone else noticed this?  Could this be a selling tactic?

Honored Contributor

@buddy paws  Because they're selling them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wish they would show more hosts wearing glasses. Yes, they're selling them so that is why they have them on. It has always bothered me that news shows and shows like QVC don't commonly show women in glasses. It happens, but not nearly at the same rate (percentage) that real women wear glasses in real life. It always delights me to see women on news channels wearing glasses instead of contacts.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I wish they would show more hosts wearing glasses. Yes, they're selling them so that is why they have them on. It has always bothered me that news shows and shows like QVC don't commonly show women in glasses. It happens, but not nearly at the same rate (percentage) that real women wear glasses in real life. It always delights me to see women on news channels wearing glasses instead of contacts.

@Goldengate8361   Laser surgery is so popular now....it is replacing  contacts....

soon glasses and contacts will both be  obsolete.  As laser surgery becomes better and better...people will just have their  eyes "repaired" just like having your teeth fixed.  No correction with glasses or contacts  necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I just googled this and the first source listed said that 64% of women wear glasses. Another source said 38%. Either way, that is a large percentage of adult women. Laser procedures do not correct the presbyopia (which impacts everyone as they age, usually starting in early 40s). Glasses provide sharper vision, too, than most contacts. Laser is FAR from making glasses obsolete. Just the facts.

Respected Contributor

I am sure that many of the hosts probably need to wear glasses in real life, and they may have contact lenses as well.

They have to look at the many screens and read all those cue cards constantly under very bright lights.

With Covid, contact wearers were told to NOT wear them as the virus could penetrate.  Glasses were a safer alternative.

LASIK becomes more risky and less effective after a certain age. Also, it is never 100% guaranteed safe.  Just a few years ago a lovely young meteorologist in Detroit, Jessica Starr, committed suicide because of terrible complications with eye surgery. 

To me it does not matter if a host wears glasses or not!  The most important thing is to take care of one's eyes, and be able to see well.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they're not getting to their eye doctors as often with the virus ---- of course, I know you can get contacts through the mail.  Maybe they feel safer wearing glasses as an added protection.  Don't know??  Seems though that eye glasses are more of a fashion statememt these days and people enjoy all the shapes and styles.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

What's wrong with women wearing eyeglasses?!?!?   

Some of us (ahem) have an entire wardrobe of eyeglasses - plastic, rimless, metal - and match our glasses to our outfits.  Besides, I want to SEE!    I've worn contacts and had eye surgeries and decided to embrace my glasses instead.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Eyeglasses?

[ Edited ]

Carolyn wears her glasses a lot, and they aren't just for fashion either...she looks nice in them.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I've worn glasses since I was in the first grade ... I'd feel naked w/o them.

I like wearing glasses.