Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.


@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Yet again, there are those who simply don't understand message boards. People will reply to others. That is NOT a matter of telling people that they shouldn't have a certain  belief or opinion. It is 99 percent of the time mere disagreement. And yes, the back and forth can get a little rough.

 

If this is so unbearable, then message boards are not for you.


@suzyQ3 

 

There are Guidelines and Standards that should be followed to keep the Forums a pleasant place and helps to keep it from getting rough.  And this is where the Moderators get involved..... 

 

  • Personal attacks are not allowed - Don't attack or insult another Community member. It's not helpful and it doesn't make for a friendly place. This includes calling other members names. Disagreement is no excuse for poor manners and we will not allow frustration to turn into a personal attack.

I remember what we were told that is a good guideline...respond to the topic not the author....


I'm not at all suggesting that breaching the Standards is a good idea; what I'm suggesting is that many posters seem to feel quite comfortable stating a strong opinion but not at all comfortable being on the receiving end.

 

Countless times I've seen threads to which many people have strong opinions that are not personal in nature, yet the OP pops up elsewhere bemoaning the whole process as personally insulting, driven by cliques, etc., etc.

 

 


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty new on here, and by a certain few, not liked and now, actually "hunted."  No, I'm not paranoidWoman LOL  They think they own the threads they start. They attempt to belittle me, twist my words and lie. They do this to other dissenters too.  Then  one, or two all of a sudden find me on a different thread and try to start an argument with me.

 

My words, my thoughts, my opinions are what makes me, me. Their only reason is because my opinion is different than theirs on one particular subject, hence I am wrong. It's agree with them or the highway. I'm talking about differing opinions of public figures! 

 

I never attack them, never, and yet they are continually allowed to personally attack me and other posters. The mods allow this.

Has anyone else experienced this? I won't back down because that's not who I am.

 

Eta- These public figures are NOT QVC hosts.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎02-19-2015

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

@Spurt
This is my own personal opinion:

That kitty cradling a remote control is THE CUTEST thing I have seen today! 😄💙😄
Thank you for posting it!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 29,664
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.


@247Optimist wrote:
@Spurt
This is my own personal opinion:

That kitty cradling a remote control is THE CUTEST thing I have seen today! 😄💙😄
Thank you for posting it!

@247Optimist 

 

Cat Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎02-19-2015

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Again, this is my own personal opinion...

Cat people are the best! Thanks @Spurt. 💙
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,873
Registered: ‎09-05-2014

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In most cases you can't take personal ownership and get over invested in a thread you create, at least in Community Chat.  Once you start it, it belongs to everyone.  You can't moderate it.  That's not your job.  

 

I know sometimes we want "our" thread to go and stay in a particular direction.  But they rarely do and that's just the way it works.  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

@Johnnyeager  I don't think the category, like community chat, really matters.  All categories are public forum.  You're right, many, most times it's the one who starts the thread (and their clique) that attack other posters. If your don't want opinions, don't start a thread, period.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 29,664
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

[ Edited ]

@Rockinista wrote:

I'm pretty new on here, and by a certain few, not liked and now, actually "hunted."  No, I'm not paranoidWoman LOL  They think they own the threads they start. They attempt to belittle me, twist my words and lie. They do this to other dissenters too.  Then  one, or two all of a sudden find me on a different thread and try to start an argument with me.

 

My words, my thoughts, my opinions are what makes me, me. Their only reason is because my opinion is different than theirs on one particular subject, hence I am wrong. It's agree with them or the highway. I'm talking about differing opinions of public figures! 

 

I never attack them, never, and yet they are continually allowed to personally attack me and other posters. The mods allow this.

Has anyone else experienced this? I won't back down because that's not who I am.

 

Eta- These public figures are NOT QVC hosts.


@Rockinista 

 

Since you're new I'll share what I've learned....

 

Your situation is frustrating and is bullying...

 

I dont know what "public figures" were involved or what the conversation was.....This is the reason that controversial topics and politics are supposed to be off limits.....but some try to sneak these in....And yes beware of cliques.  Sometimes its wise to state your opinion and move on, if they reply ignore them and dont respond....

 

But if you've stuck to the topic and didn't counter attack,and they're stalking you, then contact QVC or click Report Inappropriate and in the remarks let them know you are being attacked and stalked, provide nicknames...let the Mods do their job, dont tell the offenders you reported them. Recently some offenders have gotten banned permanently...

 

Now too much reporting can get you put in "time out" (suspended for a time period--so I have been told)..so use the Report Inappropriate with caution.... Or maybe an email, call, or snail mail letter to QVC might be more appropriate......

 

Sometimes its frustrating because moderation seems inconsistent, but the mods also have other duties and with so many replies its hard to keep up, so report helps to flag a post...or so we've been told.  They do have a hard job....

 

Sometimes its best to stick to certain categories and people that are friendly......There are specific areas that should come with a warning label....😆

 

I am a sports fan and been on sports forums involving heated and hated rivalries, and the language is rough and tough, and pretty blunt, but they dont compare to some of the meaness and nastiness of some people here on these QVC Forums .....And this is after QVC made some changes starting in 2014...They are actually a bit better than they were...A lot of people left on their own, or were banned.....

 

Good Luck...😊

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.


@Spurt wrote:

@Rockinista wrote:

I'm pretty new on here, and by a certain few, not liked and now, actually "hunted."  No, I'm not paranoidWoman LOL  They think they own the threads they start. They attempt to belittle me, twist my words and lie. They do this to other dissenters too.  Then  one, or two all of a sudden find me on a different thread and try to start an argument with me.

 

My words, my thoughts, my opinions are what makes me, me. Their only reason is because my opinion is different than theirs on one particular subject, hence I am wrong. It's agree with them or the highway. I'm talking about differing opinions of public figures! 

 

I never attack them, never, and yet they are continually allowed to personally attack me and other posters. The mods allow this.

Has anyone else experienced this? I won't back down because that's not who I am.

 

Eta- These public figures are NOT QVC hosts.


@Rockinista 

 

Since you're new I'll share what I've learned....

 

Your situation is frustrating and is bullying...

 

I dont know what "public figures" were involved or what the conversation was.....This is the reason that controversial topics and politics are supposed to be off limits.....but some try to sneak these in....And yes beware of cliques.  Sometimes its wise to state your opinion and move on, if they reply ignore them and dont respond....

 

But if you've stuck to the topic and didn't counter attack,and they're stalking you, then contact QVC or click Report Inappropriate and in the remarks let them know you are being attacked and stalked, provide nicknames...let the Mods do their job, dont tell the offenders you reported them. Recently some offenders have gotten banned permanently...

 

Now too much reporting can get you put in "time out" (suspended for a time period--so I have been told)..so use the Report Inappropriate with caution.... Or maybe an email, call, or snail mail letter might be more appropriate......

 

Sometimes its frustrating because moderation seems inconsistent, but the mods also have other duties and with so many replies its hard to keep up, so report helps to flag a post...or so we've been told.  They do have a hard job....

 

Sometimes its best to stick to certain categories and people that are friendly......

 

Good Luck...😊


@SpurtThat's a lot of great information and you're right, "to move on" is great advice.  I guess I wanted to "defend" my differing opinion and it's really counterproductive.

 

If I chose to email, call or "snail mail," do you know who I would send that to?  Do you mean the email for the QVC social team that I've seen mentioned?  Sorry for what may seem silly questions.

 

Saturday and yesterday, I was stalked by one member and yesterday when I responded to them, basically saying leave me alone, they reported me to the mods (on what basis I don't really know).  Immediately, I could no longer get the thread back, it disappeared.  Do you know if that means the mods kept just me off the thread?  A "time out"?" I've seen threads completely closed by mods, with a written reason, but never had that happen before.

 

Other than this, I enjoy my time on here.  There's a lot of intelligent and helpful people that have a vast knowledge of various subjects. Actually it's more interesting when people have opposing views, most of the time anyway.

 

I'm rereading your post, wise advise, thank you.

 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Everyone is entitled to their opinion.


@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

There is a difference between posting an opinion and just being downright nasty. Some posters don’t know that difference. 

I have started avoiding the posters who don’t know the difference and think they are just giving their wonderful ‘opinion’. 


@proudlyfromNJ  Do you mean they are stating that their opinion is the only correct one, that others' opininions are wrong, or something else?