Contributor

Just wondered why the need to use a celebrity's name to sell Barefoot Dreams or any other product.. I'm sure it sells on its own. I feel the celebrity should be compensated if they do so.  Does anyone else agree or buy because they use her name?

Esteemed Contributor

Celebrity endorsements work.

Just look at when Oprah would suggest a book for her bookclub.

That book would skyrocket to #1 on the best seller list.

The same held true when she would show her "favorite things", they would fly off the shelves.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Oprah gets called out on a lot of things.  Foot nanny, Carol's daughter, Korres, the list goes on.  Doesn't influence how I feel but perhaps some people just put stock in her opinion on products.

Esteemed Contributor

Does not impress me at all. I don't understand why hosts say such things. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Plain Ann wrote:

Just wondered why the need to use a celebrity's name to sell Barefoot Dreams or any other product.. I'm sure it sells on its own. I feel the celebrity should be compensated if they do so.  Does anyone else agree or buy because they use her name?

You know what they say.  It's not what you know it's who you know.  Makes no difference to me.  I don't make close connections with celebs.  I do not think they should be compensated just because their name is mentioned. 

Honored Contributor

@Plain Ann wrote:

Maybe Oprah does get compensated, but I doubt she needs it.

And perhaps it would have sold on its own in the beginning without her name attached to it. But, as a company who is in business to make money, why wouldn't you want a celebrity endorsement to kickstart your company and/or help continue to boost sales?

I am not an Oprah fan; however, the fact that she wears Barefoot Dreams lets me know that it is a quality product. I doubt she would purchase clothing that wasn't made well. And because of that, I did start purchasing BD items over a year ago and have never been sorry. Quality product, feels super good on me, and worth every penny!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure endorsements don't work for each and every person or for each and every product, but the retail world is solidly in favor of celeb endorsements --  they were super powerful long before QVC and they still are.

Watch  any station on your TV line-up and count how many commercials star celebrities.  Whether they are selling cars or clothes or wine or coffee or cereal or life insurance, reverse mortgages, tourist destinations, really anything you can think of, the spokesperson very often is a celebrity -  and that celebrity may well be earning huge dollars for their participation.

Not at all surprising to me.  Our whole culture seems to be drawn to the celebs.  People magazine which is nothing if not a celebrity Facebook is the most widely sold/seen magazine in the nation!  What is surprising to me is that QVC has been able to create its own celebrities among its viewers.  Before QVC, I knew close to none of the hosts and vendors who appear on the channel  I certainly didn't know any of the women and men who host, but even among the vendors, I'd heard of maybe 2 _ Tova and Zeta Jones.  None of the rest were names in my head until they began appearing here with some regularity.  And when the celebrity sends a substitute, posters complain.  No wonder QVC offers celebrity products!

Honored Contributor

doesn't make much sense now as she has been off the air for 10? years

yesterdays news

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Along the same lines as what World Traveler said, I think people fall for celebrity endorsements because they believe that with all their money they can buy the best of everything so if this is what they're choosing for themselves it can't get any better.

Honored Contributor

Celebrity endorsements have been used since the dawn of advertising.  Name any brand or product that we take for granted, and at one time it had a celebrity in its advertising, either on TV or in print.

Joan Crawford hawked cigarettes; John Wayne actually promoted a woman's shaver; Bette Davis lent her celebrity name to a shampoo brand; and so on and so on.  

Product reps on TV shopping is no different.