Honored Contributor

Re: End of Discussion--Period.

Plenty of good points made. I have to agree that we must be willing to stand by anything we post. Removing the quote feature wouldn't take away a person's ability to copy and paste another person's comments, and the fact is sometimes it's helpful to bring them forward for valid reasons.

To me, it's evident that QVC don't invest much in the Community (or in the technical integrity of the website overall). I think the Q is marginally aware they might lose customers who are exasperated and dissatisfied with the forums, whether the Community is loosely or tightly moderated. We know some people chose to leave, based upon their posts just before bowing out. And I realize this sounds negative and harsh, but if we look at the small number of individuals who post in the Community relative to the total number of QVC customers I doubt they care if we leave. Based upon overall changes at QVC, my impression is that the existing customer has become expendable, easily replaced, and no longer is their main concern.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 dooBdoo said:

Plenty of good points made. I have to agree that we must be willing to stand by anything we post. Removing the quote feature wouldn't take away a person's ability to copy and paste another person's comments, and the fact is sometimes it's helpful to bring them forward for valid reasons.

To me, it's evident that QVC don't invest much in the Community (or in the technical integrity of the website overall). I think the Q is marginally aware they might lose customers who are exasperated and dissatisfied with the forums, whether the Community is loosely or tightly moderated. We know some people chose to leave, based upon their posts just before bowing out. And I realize this sounds negative and harsh, but if we look at the small number of individuals who post in the Community relative to the total number of QVC customers I doubt they care if we leave. Based upon overall changes at QVC, my impression is that the existing customer has become expendable, easily replaced, and no longer is their main concern.

I absolutely agree, and for some time have thought they demonstrate, quite blatantly, having little investment in customer loyalty on so many levels. The possible exception is that cadre they target as being loyal no matter what they do on-air, here, with the retail website, and so on... Folks can take it however they want, but they clearly have little investment in their more discerning clientele... They are strident and arrogant in their approach and while they'll certainly address specific customer problems, that's pretty clearly as far as they're willing to go. It's important, but it's not the only variable in facilitating a happy camp.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/21/2014 stevieb said:
On 11/21/2014 dooBdoo said:

To me, it's evident that QVC don't invest much in the Community (or in the technical integrity of the website overall). I think the Q is marginally aware they might lose customers who are exasperated and dissatisfied with the forums, whether the Community is loosely or tightly moderated. We <em>know</em> some people chose to leave, based upon their posts just before bowing out. And I realize this sounds negative and harsh, but if we look at the small number of individuals who post in the Community relative to the total number of QVC customers I doubt they care if we leave. Based upon overall changes at QVC, my impression is that the existing customer has become expendable, easily replaced, and no longer is their main concern.

I absolutely agree, and for some time have thought they demonstrate, quite blatantly, having little investment in customer loyalty on so many levels. The possible exception is that cadre they target as being loyal no matter what they do on-air, here, with the retail website, and so on... Folks can take it however they want, but they clearly have little investment in their more discerning clientele... They are strident and arrogant in their approach and while they'll certainly address specific customer problems, that's pretty clearly as far as they're willing to go. It's important, but it's not the only variable in facilitating a happy camp.

Pardon me, but I'm "quoting" both of you, because I agree with both of you and it helps me make my point! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It seems it was not that many years ago that I was hardly aware of QVC's website, and I imagine it's that way with a lot of people, especially us "older folks". (Not that I know how old either of you are, but I'm an "older folk" Wink). I did all my ordering by phone, and I was a very loyal customer. I watched on TV, never on a computer. Apparently some of us changed over solely to ordering online, but I'm sure many of those loyal customers who have been around for so long have just continued to watch on TV and order by phone. It would be interesting to know the percentage of orders that come in by phone versus the orders online from the website.

At any rate, QVC is going to keep its most loyal customers, one way or the other, and gain new ones as time goes on. I guess there are people out there who do like what they offer or they wouldn't continue to offer it to the exclusion of so many things that some of us miss from the "olden days" of QVC. So maybe they'll continue to be around for a long time, or maybe not... who knows? I will be interested to see how they fill the void that Lisa will leave.

I do agree with dooBdoo in the respect that those of us who post here regularly are but a minuscule part of QVC's customers, so even though they may get some useful information from monitoring comments on the forums, it certainly isn't going to make or break them. I personally don't think they pay much attention to any customers, other than knowing that if something gets rave reviews, maybe they should continue to offer it. (Although one of my pet peeves is when they don't even have sense enough to do that , i.e., my rants about how they got rave reviews on the "How Smooth" Denim & Co jeans and then completely ruined them!) When they give us the opportunity to ask questions of one of their teams online during a show, you still can't ever get a straight answer if they answer you at all.

So my take on all of this is, we can continue to post here or not, and we can continue to buy or not. It may be good to be able to "vent" once in a while, but it isn't going to do any good to complain about the website, the forum moderation, or the variety and quality of the products they offer. They're going to do what they're going to do, and we can like it, or not. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Trusted Contributor

kittymomNC, you voiced my opinion exactly ! I would have written the same words ! It's a darn shame where all things QVC have become now as opposed to the "good old days" of yore. It breaks my heart. Originally, and for the longest time, QVC was the classiest act around ! Not just to watch but in every way possible !

Those who weren't around to compare "then" to "now" just have no idea of what has been lost. We "old timers" share the grief, and I know it's the reason we can't settle for what is offered us today. It is a very sad state of affairs, and I don't think they will every return to the glory days.

As you said, we can post and vent, but nobody cares anymore. Sigh. {#emotions_dlg.crying}{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 annabellethecat said:

Here's my take on this (believe me, I'm over-sensitive on being attacked here)....OK, I think QVC actually encourages people verbally attacking others.

How, you say? Well, if they didn't give people the ability to copy entire postings of another person, it would be more difficult to directly attack another poster.

In other words, most people get upset when their post is copied and then picked apart in the same post.

I'm not privy to what QVC thinks, and quite honestly, I don't care.

I have a very thin skin (I admit it), I'm too old to put up with rudeness from most people who would never say it to your face.

Perhaps if QVC would no longer allow people to copy one or many posts of other people, it would make the attacks less personal.

Perhaps there would be more civility toward each other.

So, in closing, I think QVC needs to assume much (if not most) of the responsibility for the need (or whatever they think is the need) to close off a thread. There is a difference between saying something like, "I think Annabelle is totally wrong" and copying Annabelle's entire thread and picking it apart one thought after another.

Just my idea.

I have to agree also. Maybe some of my comments aren't the most tactfully written, but I read a lot of mean girl statements. Who needs that? If your only opinion is to be mean, why participate at all? You don't really have a dime in the dollar.
Respected Contributor

I also believe that to copy a post by some is a way to keep a comment going. Normally if something said is getting entirely nasty and away from the comment, the poster would have the ability do edit and delete themselves. If it has been copied there is no way and the nastiness just keeps going and going.

We all know that very few read entire threads and usually comments are made about the one or two newest BUT if a comment is copied by each nasty poster it never stops unless reported.

This is why I think the ability to copy another post should not be allowed. Refer to the comment #, do not copy it.

I bet this will be copied by one or two and every nasty remark I have ever made will be brought up.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

Personally, I wish they'd close some of these threads that have rambled on for months/years with thousands of posts - or at least delete some of the old posts to keep the size to a reasonable length. Does anyone really read post #1 of a 3,000+ post thread?

Esteemed Contributor

It may sound crazy, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who has gone back and looked at a thread with thousands of posts - the two I'm referring to are the "Pictures of Just Cats" and "Thanks Webbie, we can post pictures now". From time to time I go back and look at pages and pages of these threads just for the pure pleasure it gives me. I am now and have been "owned" by several cats and I thoroughly enjoy all the pictures, even (and sometimes especially) the ones I've seen before.

The other thread "Thanks Webbie" is enjoyable for the variety of pictures posted, and I do go back sometimes and take a new look at those. And I have actually been reading, from post #1, Sammycat1's thread about "Schmoo, Kitty Fighter" and have posted from time to time because I needed a shoulder to cry on about my own sick cat, and I found it there. This is a wonderful, sad, uplifting, joyous, thoughtful, and thought provoking story of a special cat with lots of pictures from the OP and others and the people who have posted on this thread for so long value it immensely, I'm sure.

So I don't know if anyone else does this, but I would just say that there are a few other threads with thousands of posts that are more just conversations between long-time posters, and those don't bother me at all... I just skip them. Apparently the PTB of the boards have decided that these threads are not a problem, so I don't understand why anyone else sees them as a problem. I just don't pay any attention to any threads that don't interest me and only select the ones I want. That just doesn't seem to me to be a difficult thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/21/2014 kittymomNC said:

I agree that the main reason for these forums is for the benefit of QVC -- whatever that might be. But the adult debates and discussions are what keep a lot of us coming back here. If it weren't for the boards, I would seldom have QVC up on my computer. And it's also seldom on my TV unless it's a particular show that I want to see.

When I'm on here and posting, as long as what's going on holds my interest, I stay for a while, sometimes I have the live feed on at the same time so I can hear what's on, and I may flip over to see a particular product. Also, on the fashion forum or kitchen forum, also For the Home, sometimes I read about an item and I look it up... and I may buy.

I haven't been posting much at all lately for various reasons, and the less I post and/or read, the less I have any contact with QVC. So let them moderate to their hearts' content -- poof and close threads, delete people's posts, and they will see the number of people here on a regular basis dwindle -- which will definitely NOT benefit QVC. Just my two cents...

Same here, Kitty, the less I post the less I buy. Actually what the moderators are doing are making me not want to shop at all at the Q. Moderators should just stick to Terms and Conditions and butt out of the rest.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add: Referencing a post # is often misleading and confusing, because the numbers might change. All it takes is for one post to be removed by the moderators, and all numbers subsequent to the deleted post change.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova