Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

No man I know would ever use that word. It only worked for Sonny & Cher.

Unfortunatley, "Babe" is what most young couples/marrieds use these days.  I know so many who call one another "Babe"!  It seems to have replaced all other terms of endearment like hon, honey, sweetheart, etc.  

Gloria

Esteemed Contributor

I can see this being a legitimate QVC email, but someone altered and manipulated the first name which is often inserted into forms.

A bored, disgruntled intern working from home perhaps......

Trusted Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

Back in the 60s and the 70s, "Babe" was a commonly used term of endearment and was not construed as derogatory in any way, shape or form.

@781Florist  correct, and as I mentioned in a post above, "Babe" has been back in vogue for quite a few years now.  I guess everything old is new again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Email from QVC

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

That is a very derogatory term used for a women. I wonder about this company on many levels.

not necessarily @elated 

My husband calls me babe sometimes and I have heard my DIL call my son  babe and there are LOTS of years between us.

Nothing derogatory, demeaning OR sexist at all!!!

Now QVC calling me babe?  That's just weird!

Esteemed Contributor

Did you order from the Junk Gypsy line  ? I think they might use the term " Babe " .

Esteemed Contributor

@GloriBee 

endearment term  " Babe " started with Sonny & Cher .   " I got you babe ".

Iknew alot of couples from the then on calling their girl friends  " Babe "

Honored Contributor

Too cute by half IMO.

Respected Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

I think @50Mickey meant maybe Babe is the name of the person who sent it. I honestly think it's not really from QVC. But I think you need to check to be sure.

@Qgirl26 That would look like a possible explanation, if it wasn't for the heart. 

You're right, it needs to be checked out. I can't see the Q supporting this type of communication. 

Trusted Contributor

While I do not expect to be called Babe in a professional email, my dad called me " Babe" from the time I was a teen until he died four years ago. it was his special name for me both by phone and in person. 

Valued Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

"I Got You, Babe"

"Oh babe, what would you say..."

"It aint me, Babe"

"C'mon babe, follow me- I'm the Pied Piper"

"Oooh it's you, babe whenever I get weary...."

I certainly don't think that the term Babe is appropriate for use in any type of business setting or communication, but as far as any man getting killed for calling his love "Babe"

(or, by the way...any woman calling her man "Babe"!!) I think that all of you who are offended by that either date fron the 1950s or the 1990s and onward.

Back in the 60s and the 70s, "Babe" was a commonly used term of endearment and was not construed as derogatory in any way, shape or form.

It's not the word - it's the word in the context of where it's being used.  It's like out of order to use "babe" in a business letter.  From a corporation to a client.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi