Regular Contributor

Re: Eliminate Customer calls in presentations...

Posted before reading the whole thread, but when I did I was reminded of the following two calls (from years ago):

1) On HSN  Bobbie Ray Carter was presenting a sequined skirt or dress and took a call from a guy who identified himself as a drag queen who wanted to wear it in his act.  She took it very professionally (just a touch of shock) and even commented on it later (kindly, not snarky at all).  

2) On QVC David Veneable used to present other stuff, in this case jewelry.  Some guy called and crudely propositioned him on air.  David said something while rolling his eyes and cutting the caller off, but then he disappeared from QVC seemingly for months (this was long before the cooking shows).  Frankly, I thought they'd fired him but eventually he turned up again and AFAIK has been there ever since.  

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

You can check out some funny calls on You tube...I guess the "entertaining" calls are late at night....

Randy calls QVC to tell them how good his new Dell  May 31, 2010......And the vendor asks what he uses his dell for and he tells 'em....naughty movies....if you get my drift

And another call with Rick...it starts out how she has 3 Dells purchased from QVC and her favorite thing about Dell is how they all crash after 2 years...QVC quickly ended the call...date of video Jan 9, 2017

There's the infamous one with caller is talking to Leah and the caller gets interrupted and cusses on air....

HAHAHAHAHA!

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

@World Traveler wrote:

Does anyone think they should get rid of customers calling in to comment during presentations?

No, I don't. I find them valuable. I trust their opinion of the product more than I do the host. And in many cases, I find new ways to use the product by listening to the caller tell how they use it.

As one who has called in on the testimonial line, I gave pertinent information about the product, including how the product had improved/enhanced my life in a specific area.

And by the way, I am not a lonely person needing someone to talk to. And I am not trying to entice someone to order the product. I am just relaying my experience. That is why you are asked to call the "testimonial" line....to tell about your experience.

ITA. I only called once a few years ago, because the product really helped me.

Respected Contributor

Don’t see the point of any phone calls. Could do without them completely.

People tend to babble. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

I hate the "Hi (insert host name), you're my favorite!"  Instant mute or channel change.  Don't really care what Myrna, from New Jersey (insert state), has to say!!

@Phantom41 Just a guess, but I bet the host enjoys hearing the "Hi (insert host name), you're my favorite!"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well at least they are not Tooting the Tootie horn.  LOL  Remember that anyone?   That was actually HSN that did that, but I even bought a parakeet and named the parakeet Tootie.   Memories

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley wrote:

“I just had to call in to say I have 250 Dooney purses and just bought 3 more in yellow to go with my 200 pairs of D&Co crop pants I ordered from you last week because you are my favorite host and I just love you and they make me look 20 instead of 80 with all that spandex but now I have to be sure I get to the door before my husband so I can hide all the Q packages in my gift closet, but darn, I still feel so woozy from that surgery I had this morning. Can I say hello to my 10 hamsters that are watching with me?” This is not an inducement to buy, it’s a reminder that sitting in front of a QVC screen for hours will turn my brain to jelly.

@SunValley  I hate to tell you this, but I have 300 Dooney purses, and just about 5 more in yellow.  You are behind.  LOL   I have a gift closet, but everything in it is a gift to me.   :0)   JK

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think the calls contribute to the stigma of home shopping channel shoppers...that we’re all lonely, eccentric, home bound,etc....

I rarely hear one that sounds like someone I could relate to. 

Valued Contributor

As soon as I hear that they are taking a call...I am gone,i turn off the TV or change channels.There is no value to me to hear how someone loves their new top,and how much they love the host....calls are a waste of valuable tv time!!

Contributor

I don't mind listening to callers...I mind when they are rudely hustled off line .