Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eliminate Customer calls in presentations...

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:
I was live on air on Evine. They do not pre-screen, they just ask if you want to talk to the hosts on air. I kept it short and thanked them for having nice plus size clothes at decent prices. Considering the majority of calls are IMO cringeworthy, I just mute them. I think the calls are a big reason why TV shopping channels still have the stigma they do and it's associated with lonely old ladies.

I agree.  It's completely counter-productive to trying to pull in younger viewers.  If younger people happen to tune in, the whole "middle age" thing is smack in their faces.  I'm sure, from their point of view, it's a lot of older people talking about their illnesses, surgeries, death of spouses, etc

They can bring in all the young, hip hosts they want, but as long as they take phone calls from their true demographic, they're losing younger viewers.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I too wish they'd do away with the calls. In fact, I will change the channel or mute the TV as they drive me so crazy.  And some are just cringeworthy. Remember awhile back during a show for the 8Greens a call had to be abruptly ended as the guy dropped the f-bomb.  He sounded like he was drunk or on something.   I say stop the phone calls!

@KKJ

Yep 8Greens and Shawn as host it can now be found on you Tube

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Agreed they are a waste of time. Most involve the caller gushing about host and/or vendor, kissing their backside.  And the host is trying to hurry the caller off the phone, not wanting caller to talk too long.  Don't see any benefit of it.

@KKJ, I have to chuckle, you put it so well !!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

I have a feeling that the customers who call in to give testimonials also call in to a live rep to place their orders instead of ordering online.  Both of these activities give them a captive audience to whom they can brag about all the purchases they've made.  "I have six of these Dyson vacuums but I need to order three more to give to friends and neighbors".  " I have twenty of these Kitchen Aid mixers but I like the new colors so I'm ordering three more."

@DearPrudenceHILARIOUS and so true ! 

Regular Contributor

If I  happen to be watching when a caller comes in I usually change the channel or put the TV on mute. I usually check the reviews on an Item I'm interested in purchasing.

Honored Contributor

I cringe when calls are taken, especially when the caller is older/retired.  There are so many stories about older people who get sucked in and buy a lot but can't afford it and struggle with other bills.  

Honored Contributor

I hope Q continues with on-air calls.  Yes, some are cringe-worthy but they're a test of the hosts' ability to think fast while being gracious.  It's kind of a challenge.

Respected Contributor

“I just had to call in to say I have 250 Dooney purses and just bought 3 more in yellow to go with my 200 pairs of D&Co crop pants I ordered from you last week because you are my favorite host and I just love you and they make me look 20 instead of 80 with all that spandex but now I have to be sure I get to the door before my husband so I can hide all the Q packages in my gift closet, but darn, I still feel so woozy from that surgery I had this morning. Can I say hello to my 10 hamsters that are watching with me?” This is not an inducement to buy, it’s a reminder that sitting in front of a QVC screen for hours will turn my brain to jelly.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley   LOL  Calls like that are hilarious!

Regular Contributor

IMO, 99% of customer calls are cringe-worthy, especially overnight which is when I tend to watch the most.  However, once in a blue moon, someone will call with a comment or question that points out something that the vendors and hosts forget or just don't put in the same manner.

For example,  the HairMax product.  The first few times I saw this, they emphasized that no testing had been done on African Americans and that they had no data about results with us.  Frankly, I wondered why.  No, I didn't think it was a racist company, but we lose our hair too (was thinking about this for my mom).   Anyway, one day a woman called who identified herself as African Amerian.  She'd bought, used, and had success with the product. She a point to call in with this info.

The vendor was thrilled and at that time he finally explained why there was no testing done on African Americans. Frankly, I think the reason is a little bogus, but I was glad to hear some explanation.  BTW, I did not buy it.  My mom is a lot of things, but one thing she is not is patient.  There is not way she'd put in the time to use something like this.  

BTW, if you're intersted they don't feel they can count new vs old hair on African American skin.  Really.