Super Contributor

Re: Eliminate Customer calls in presentations...

I'm on both ends of the spectrum. I can do without the calls but sometimes they are useful or entertaining. Here's one that started out normal but turned slightly awkward:

• I remember years ago, Nancy Hornback was presenting jewelry. She took a call from an elderly lady. At the end of the call, the caller said to Nancy "you just had a baby". Nancy responded that she has a 5 year old daughter. I could see Nancy was slightly puzzled. But she handled it very well. It was obvious the elderly lady was very confused. Then Nancy said "you must be thinking of Amy, she just had a baby. I feel very flattered because she's much younger than me".

The caller thought Nancy was Amy Stran. This was back when Amy had her first child and was on maternity leave. Poor caller.....it was so awkward on the caller's end. But Nancy handled it with grace.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

I totally agree with you....

The callers aren't totally objective in their review, they all love the host, they all love the product, everyone they encountered gave them compliments, and then they take the call off topic and share something personal about themselves, and then the caller asks the host to give a shout out to their husband or daughter or sister or BFF....And the poor hosts is trying ever so politely to end the call which always goes overly long. It's all rather awkward, and certainly nothing to entice one to buy....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

They all have to express their "love" for the host.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Actually, I often wonder why they don't use that valuable air time to present more products, instead of wasting time on the phone calls.

@Krimpette

That's a great point, they talk to a caller who shares about her recent surgery, then they rush through the next item, or say---we don't have time for a presentation but here's the item number Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

You can check out some funny calls on You tube...I guess the "entertaining" calls are late at night....

Randy calls QVC to tell them how good his new Dell  May 31, 2010......And the vendor asks what he uses his dell for and he tells 'em....naughty movies....if you get my drift

And another call with Rick...it starts out how she has 3 Dells purchased from QVC and her favorite thing about Dell is how they all crash after 2 years...QVC quickly ended the call...date of video Jan 9, 2017

There's the infamous one with caller is talking to Leah and the caller gets interrupted and cusses on air....

Respected Contributor

Yes ... stop the calls immediately.

I love it when listening to QVC with earbuds (or when TV turned up loud), then a caller accidentally hits one of the buttons on their phone, that "beep" is horrendous in one's ear~!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

They are pre screened before they go on air so not a really good review.  I am sure that if someone said the stuff they were selling was garbage they would not put them on.

@chiclet I was NOT prescreened as to what I would say. The only thing I was asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product, not what I thought of it.

I had called in one other time, prior to this one, and all I was asked was my name and where I was from, and was told to hold on the phone. But the show was over and I was never called on, so I hung up. Then when I called back on another presentation of the same thing, I told the screener about my prior experience of being told to wait to talk with the host and it never happened. He said: "I will put you on next." That was the time that all they asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product.

Quite frankly, they SHOULD screen you as to what you will say. Why would a company who wants to make money put someone on who would bash the product? No one should be surprised if the calls are screened.

A couple of years ago when I made most of my purchases by phone instead of going online, I would frequently (around one out every five orders) be asked if I would like to talk with the host, and I would reply "not at this time." I had not even tried the product yet, so there could be no prescreening done as to my experience with it. I assume they were just going to ask WHY I was purchasing the product.

I am surprised.  I really thought they would screen people because I have heard callers say that when they were talking to the person before they came on etc etc. that they had told them this and that.   Good to know they are real reviews.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

They are pre screened before they go on air so not a really good review.  I am sure that if someone said the stuff they were selling was garbage they would not put them on.

@chiclet I was NOT prescreened as to what I would say. The only thing I was asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product, not what I thought of it.

I had called in one other time, prior to this one, and all I was asked was my name and where I was from, and was told to hold on the phone. But the show was over and I was never called on, so I hung up. Then when I called back on another presentation of the same thing, I told the screener about my prior experience of being told to wait to talk with the host and it never happened. He said: "I will put you on next." That was the time that all they asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product.

Quite frankly, they SHOULD screen you as to what you will say. Why would a company who wants to make money put someone on who would bash the product? No one should be surprised if the calls are screened.

A couple of years ago when I made most of my purchases by phone instead of going online, I would frequently (around one out every five orders) be asked if I would like to talk with the host, and I would reply "not at this time." I had not even tried the product yet, so there could be no prescreening done as to my experience with it. I assume they were just going to ask WHY I was purchasing the product.

I am surprised.  I really thought they would screen people because I have heard callers say that when they were talking to the person before they came on etc etc. that they had told them this and that.   Good to know they are real reviews.

@chiclet.  I have read many times on the forums that posters said they were never pre screened. I have also heard a few crazy callers and profanity.

Respected Contributor

I think they mostly do it so as to put you in a panic - knowing there is someone else out there that is going to buy the product that you are looking at if you don't hurry and call !

Contributor

I dislike these calls. I’m embarrassed for the callers who add nothing to the presentation. I either immediately mute or change the channel and never come back.  Maybe I would watch more if they were discontinued.