Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eliminate Customer calls in presentations...

@Nataliesgramma, I absolutely agree!  Too often, the caller is not readily available so we have the host asking several times if the caller is there.  We have the ones that want to tell their life story and stay on the line while the host is expected to move on to the next prooduct.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl In some cases, not all, the host is probably responsible for some of the "stay on the line while the host is expected to move on to the next product." They ask questions about the caller, to make them feel welcome. Or they say something like "I hear the weather in your area is quite cold," and of course the caller is going to respond to that. So, I kind of think it is a two-way street on how much the caller goes off topic.

When I talked with Mary Beth, she asked me for the reason I liked the product, and I told her I had several reasons. I did not jump into the several reasons. I was waiting for a cue from her. She could have said, "could you give us your main reason?" But she didn't, she asked for all of them. Even though my list was one-phrase answers, after I gave the fourth reason, I paused because I didn't know if she wanted more. And she asked for more, probably because they were not long and involved. So, I just followed her lead in how much to say or not say. 

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Nataliesgramma, I absolutely agree!  Too often, the caller is not readily available so we have the host asking several times if the caller is there.  We have the ones that want to tell their life story and stay on the line while the host is expected to move on to the next prooduct.

I did get a kick out of one caller.  When she didn't answer right away and came back to the phone, she explained that she had been on another line calling her friends to say she was going to be on tv.  

Valued Contributor

So glad that this opinion is shared.  I HATE "let's go to the phones" and I immediately change the channel until I think (hope) the call is over. 

I have actually been asked a few times if I would like to speak on air. There is no "screening"...just, Hey, would you like to talk on air? One time I did it, when they were showing a KitchenAid mixer that I had and loved. I guess I must have been enthusiastic with the phone rep, and she asked me. Now that I order everything online, no more invitations!  The worst are the callers suffering from some terrible disease, so awkward for the host. What do you say except, "I'm so sorry and I hope you feel better." I find that so uncomfortable for everyone.

Anyway, I am with you all....hate the calls.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the OP.  Big waste of time, like the caller who has a particular Dooney handbag in every color but one, so has to order it!  Seriously, would anyone want 8 handbags in the same style.  This is just sad; they are probably still in the boxes. Some of the callers sound so sad and just desperate to talk to someone.  QVC  should come to their senses and stop this practice.  It is 2019 and people now do not have the time to listen to callers who add nothing to the presentation.

Super Contributor

There is so much chatter between the host and vendor why in the world would I want to sit through a third person conversation. I understand there are lonely people and this is a way for them to have somebody to talk to, but I don't want to be a part of it. I don't watch Q much anymore.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for them at all and they certainly don't persuade me to purchase anything.

However, without them, that is more air time the hosts have to fill.  Then posters complain about the hosts talking too much about personal stuff.

Honored Contributor

Actually, I often wonder why they don't use that valuable air time to present more products, instead of wasting time on the phone calls.

Contributor

I still remember a call from an elderly lady during the first couple years Isaac was on, when she told him she had pancreatic cancer.  I remember Isaac handling it VERY well, saying he was so very sorry to hear this and wanted to send her something special from him, and asked that someone make sure to get her name and address so he could follow up. Obviously it made an impression on me as I've always remembered the call and especially how kind Isaac was.

Respected Contributor

@texanbybirth wrote:

I still remember a call from an elderly lady during the first couple years Isaac was on, when she told him she had pancreatic cancer.  I remember Isaac handling it VERY well, saying he was so very sorry to hear this and wanted to send her something special from him, and asked that someone make sure to get her name and address so he could follow up. Obviously it made an impression on me as I've always remembered the call and especially how kind Isaac was.

He also sent a bride a pair of shoes (I think, maybe one of you remembers) as she was buying something from him to wear for her wedding on a shoestring budget. The caller was so charming and sincere, and Isaac responded in kind. There is more to it, but the bride followed up with pictures and Isaac talked about it on a later show. What I do remember correctly was his pure joy at being able to do something special for a QVC customer; he was just beaming. That’s the only call that I truly enjoyed, and I was touched by his kindness.

like so many of you, when the callers start fawning over the host, describe their recent surgery, or tell an unfunny “funny” story, it’s time to hit mute. And while there are exceptions, most calls to me are time wasters at best.