Honored Contributor

Re: Eliminate Customer calls in presentations...

[ Edited ]

I think the calls are, for the most part, entertaining.  I'll agree that many aren't so good but once in a while you'll get a gem like Rosalie from an island in South Jersey.  The host - in that case Leah - gets to demonstrate her quick wit and ability to think on her feet.  It's a challenge of sorts, particularly since it's live on air.  Without calls, Q might as well air pre-recorded segments 24x7.

Esteemed Contributor

This complaint goes back to the very beginning of QVC. Most calls are truly cringe-worthy. In the old days,I watched QVC quite a bit. Now I don’t watch at all, though I check the website often. Years ago, the thought was that when “real people” call, viewers will be more likely to buy. However, from day one, we viewers were subjected to the sad stories of lonely people, sycophantic fans, and just plain weirdos. At that point, QVC becomes unwatchable.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!! They are of no help and I would rather that time be used to talk about the item presented!!

Honored Contributor

Over the years I can think of some really sad callers and some kooky ones,also. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Does anyone think they should get rid of customers calling in to comment during presentations?

No, I don't. I find them valuable. I trust their opinion of the product more than I do the host. And in many cases, I find new ways to use the product by listening to the caller tell how they use it.

As one who has called in on the testimonial line, I gave pertinent information about the product, including how the product had improved/enhanced my life in a specific area.

And by the way, I am not a lonely person needing someone to talk to. And I am not trying to entice someone to order the product. I am just relaying my experience. That is why you are asked to call the "testimonial" line....to tell about your experience.

I am agreeing with @World Traveler.  I find the calls valuable and it also gives a personal touch to the show.  I enjoy hearing their testimonies, even life stories.

Trusted Contributor

I agree - stop these testimonials.  I have never bought something based upon these telephone calls; I have, however, read reviews online and made purchase decisions accordingly.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I hope that they do not eliminate them.

As someone else noted, I find them to be usually highly entertaining and they break up the routine of a stale, tired presentation.  I often enjoy seeing the interaction between the guest vendor and the on air caller.

And I would much rather listen to someone calling in than some of the hosts. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

ITA. And then there are the callers on ST. Patricks Day telling us they have Irish ancestry.

Or the skin care ones that say they are 88 and look 16.

Just eliminate the calls. All of them

How about the ones who say, 'can I give a shout out to my daughter in Tacoma? Hi, honey, see you soon!' Please!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet wrote:

They are pre screened before they go on air so not a really good review.  I am sure that if someone said the stuff they were selling was garbage they would not put them on.

@chiclet I was NOT prescreened as to what I would say. The only thing I was asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product, not what I thought of it.

I had called in one other time, prior to this one, and all I was asked was my name and where I was from, and was told to hold on the phone. But the show was over and I was never called on, so I hung up. Then when I called back on another presentation of the same thing, I told the screener about my prior experience of being told to wait to talk with the host and it never happened. He said: "I will put you on next." That was the time that all they asked was whether or not I had purchased or used the product.

Quite frankly, they SHOULD screen you as to what you will say. Why would a company who wants to make money put someone on who would bash the product? No one should be surprised if the calls are screened.

A couple of years ago when I made most of my purchases by phone instead of going online, I would frequently (around one out every five orders) be asked if I would like to talk with the host, and I would reply "not at this time." I had not even tried the product yet, so there could be no prescreening done as to my experience with it. I assume they were just going to ask WHY I was purchasing the product.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

ITA. And then there are the callers on ST. Patricks Day telling us they have Irish ancestry.

Or the skin care ones that say they are 88 and look 16.

I love those!  Both would make me smile, even if I'm skeptical about the 88 year-old looking like she's 16,  Smiley Happy