Valued Contributor

Does anyone else notice how the hosts push items on easy pay, the new Q Card has all items on 3 payments, or they have "flash sales" where every item is on easy pay?  Easy Pay is not a sale!!! A sale means there is a reduction in price.  I would even consider Free Shipping a sale at the Q!  Yes, easy pay is helpful for many people, but they really fooling people by saying it's a sale???

Honored Contributor

@CorrTor wrote:

Does anyone else notice how the hosts push items on easy pay, the new Q Card has all items on 3 payments, or they have "flash sales" where every item is on easy pay?  Easy Pay is not a sale!!! A sale means there is a reduction in price.  I would even consider Free Shipping a sale at the Q!  Yes, easy pay is helpful for many people, but they really fooling people by saying it's a sale???

They think we are idiots that don't know the difference. All these stupid "we have a secret later today so tune in" only to find out it is easy pays on everything yadda yadda. Give me a break. Easy pay only truly benefits the Q. They even did away with the gift card deal they had last July which is the only real "deal" I've seen QVC give its customers. Even the free shipping bone they throw to us once in awhile is usually on stuff no one really wants (at least regarding beauty items).

Easy pay is NOT a sale. Period.

Frequent Contributor

QVC really does nothing to say thanks to good customers.  Easy pay may be convenient if you have the self discipline to monitor your purchases, otherwise your monthly bill comes, you will be astonished how many items you have ordered because it was "easy".

I recently received a $25 gift card from Brighton; now that's a nice gesture.

Valued Contributor

I have never used 'Easy Pay' and never will.  I realize there are many people who need it and use it responsibly but there are many others who put too many item on easy pay and then get caught up in trying to pay things off.  I do not purchase that which I cannot afford.  I compare prices, too  In my opinion, it is unconscionable for the sales clerks to state, 'You can get this home for $18.00,' when the full disclosure should state, 'You can get this item home for your first easy pay payment of $18.00.'  There are some sales people who say, 'This item is on 3 easy pays of $18,' which is a lot more honest. I realize it's 'buyer be aware,' but there are many people who get caught up in what they consider to be a bargain.  A bargain to me would be real reduction in price instead of a reduction of $1.39.  The Q has no concept of the meaning of the term 'sale.'                                   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

I don't ever buy just because something is on easy pay -- but I also don't go chasing for free shipping.  They're all gimmivks, BUT   those gimmicks work.  There are very frequently posts asking about easy pays -- when , how many, how soon, etc.  and many posters seem to be equally or more excited about EZP than about other kinds of sales.

What works for one may just not work for another.   And that's probably why we say "One man's trash, another man's treasure."

Honored Contributor

Easy pay works for some people, but we shouldn't get lured into "paying off" items we really can't afford. And re. free shipping, l've noticed that on the rare occasion it's offered, it's usually on a high-priced item, as an incentive to purchase it, for people who are "on the fence."

"Caveat emptor." (Let the buyer beware.)

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Contributor

I work at a bank.  I see customers who have many "easy pays" coming out of their accounts.  Most of them shop on multiple shopping channels.  They call because they can't figure out why they are overdrawn.   I go through all of their charges, and they often forget how many payments they have coming out.  They are the people who can least afford them.  Each of the "problem" home shoppers I deal with, the ones who have many easy pays and are overdrawn because of it, is unable to work and on disability of some sort.  I don't add that fact to disparage them in any way for being on disability, but as an explanation for why they may do it.  They may be more homebound, have less income, and the lure of making payments makes them more likely to buy.

We have one customer in particular who clearly has an addiction to shopping channels.  She calls us constantly to see what her balance is, becuase she sees a ring or some other piece of jewelry she just "has to have" and wants to know if she has enough to cover the first payment.  If she doesn't, she says the is going to call the other channel she just ordered from and cancel that order so she can get this item.  It's always jewelry she orders, and the bizarre thing is that when she comes to the bank, she never, ever wears jewelry. She seems to not take any care of her appearance whatsovever, so I think the purchases are more about collecting than wearing.  She has told us her kids get mad at her all of the time for spending so much money on home shopping jewelry.  But she says she can't stop, and she also thinks it's funny.

I think easy pay is fine for most people.  I only buy something once or twice a year from QVC, and I do tend to be more likely to buy if it is on easy pay.  But I agree, it is not a sale, and I do think they push it as such.

Respected Contributor

We are all adults and if you're purchasing from a shopping channel or any internet company, it's your decision to purchase or not.  It's the shoppers responsiblity to know the ins and outs of their purchase.  I don't think this is a "lure" or "misrepresentation."  We all have to be very careful of the terms and conditions of your purchase.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I haven't heard them say easy pay is a sale. I like easy pay, but I do wish QVC had more actual sales or free shipping deals and DO think that QVC seems to believe that we think easy pay is the same thing as a sale, even though I haven't heard any of the hosts say that.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard Shawn say "flash sale" during her Monday PM Style show. I remember because it struck me as odd that she used that particular description for the offer.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat