Super Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

Do your Jewish neighbors eat food?

Then invite them. :-)

Super Contributor

Although they do not celebrate Easter, I think it would be nice to invite them.  I know an Indian family, they do not celebrate, but I am sure they would go to their neighbors if they were invited.  They have the option to accept or not.  

Respected Contributor

i think it would be nice to invite them, understanding that if they are observant and celebrating Passover they may not be able to eat anything not kosher for Passover.  they may want to come to socialize and be neighborly.  at the very least i am sure they would appreciate the invitation.

Frequent Contributor

This may have been said, but Easter would be the second day of Passover. It's likely they would be holding their second Seder at this time. 

Kosher conflicts have already been mentioned. But also, nothing with leven is eaten for passoPas week, and Jews don't typically eat lamb for Passover. This is because there is no temple.

Honored Contributor

@Dcole3wrote:

This may have been said, but Easter would be the second day of Passover. It's likely they would be holding their second Seder at this time. 

Kosher conflicts have already been mentioned. But also, nothing with leven is eaten for passoPas week, and Jews don't typically eat lamb for Passover. This is because there is no temple.

@Dcole3  ...and you read this where? There is a lamb shank on the Seder plate (states specifically lamb) & what does this have to do w/ no temple? 

Honored Contributor

This thread is another reminder that we have a long way to go in knowing about and understanding others; otherwise, we are left with misundertandings, half-truths, and generalizations.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

I'm stunned on many levels reading  this thread. First, maybe it's unfair, but I am amazed that some don't know that Jews don't believe in Jesus. It's just so fundamental. As for some Jews believing in Jesus, yes, that is a small group of Messianic Jews that is not at all reflective of Jews in general.

I grew up in what used to called the Borscht Belt, a neigborhood surrounding Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles. It was probably 95 percent or higher Jewish. Many were Holocaust survivors.

But still, even there back then, I didn't know many Orthodox Jews or even those who fully followed Kosher rules. Please don't assume this when speaking of Jewish people.

You're having an Easter brunch but without religious prayers or rituals? Invite. Of course, invite. I wouldn't mention a darn thing about food. If these neighbors just happen to be kosher, they're used to managing their lives.

Exactly!!  

I'm Jewish (by birth but I'm not religious) and if I was invited I would come unless I had other plans.  Please don't assume that because someone is Jewish they adhere to strict Kosher laws.  Many if not most Jews simply don't.  Yes your brunch may be during Passover (I don't know since I have to look it up) but I think they would be aware of the type of non Passover foods you might be offering.

If I was your invited guest and wanted to keep my meal Kosher then I might stop by for a while and watch what I eat or politely decline.  The only thing that would make me uncomfortable is if you planned religious services at your home.  I'm assuming that you're not.

Honored Contributor

@Pearleewrote:

I've been to many Passover seders where there were Christians invited as guests. It's great to get familiar with the customs of religions other than your own.

Even as a Jewish person, I definitely eat Easter candy!  Even during Passover (which I do not keep).

@Pearlee . I do too!

Honored Contributor

@Pearleewrote:

I've been to many Passover seders where there were Christians invited as guests. It's great to get familiar with the customs of religions other than your own.

Even as a Jewish person, I definitely eat Easter candy!  Even during Passover (which I do not keep).

@Pearlee  To me, this is the ideal situation.  If someone is uninformed about your religion, simply inform them and be happy they are interested to know.  I would not expect anyone to really understand the traditions of a religion if they were not followers.  

If they are non-religious people, then why should they know anything about anyone's religions?  In this day and age, it is often a topic that is avoided in "polite" conversation, so you find that  people may know less and less about religion in general, since discussion of it may offend some.  How sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  I don't really  think I agree with your last paragraph.  I'm completely nonreligious but am interested in going to religious events of other religions, when invited. As a point of education and to socialize, nothing more and nothing less.  I think learning a little about others' religions by experiencing an event every now and then is interesting, even though I'm completely nonreligious myself.   I even learn things about the Jewish religion (my own!) when I'm invited to attend something connected with the religion, and I almost always meet nice and welcoming people there.  It's never a waste of time, even though I'm not religious.