Honored Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

Much ado about nothing. Just ask!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Skyegirl21wrote:

While it seems like a nice intention, if you want to socialize with them, I suggest do it another time- It’s awkward to invite Jews to an Easter celebration, even if they are not religious (my opinion and I am Jewish).  

I agree, and I'm Jewish also.

"Happy Easter" is not appropriate to say to someone who is Jewish.  And the menu is not appropriate for someone who is kosher.  Or someone who observes Passover, since this year Easter falls during Passover.

(Out of all the listed appetizers and main courses on the menu, only deviled eggs would be okay for someone who is kosher.  And that depends on the other ingredients in the eggs.  Everything else listed is off-limits.  And that's not even including Passover restrictions, which would eliminate all of the desserts.)

Unless the Jewish person is a close friend or family member (in my family, we have a few interfaith marriages and my closest friend is not Jewish), I would advise inviting them to something else at another time.  If I don't know someone well, I would steer clear of religious celebrations that could cause awkwardness on both sides.  Not all do, but this one seems problematic to me.

@NYC Susan@Skyegirl21Actually is someone is  kosher 'fully' they wouldn't be able to eat anything since it came from the same kitchen as the Treif [non kosher food].

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Fiero Womanwrote:

Forgot, black and white cookies are a must.  I have learned to make them, similiar to those made in New York.

Black & white cookie recipes would have to be altered for Passover, and would not be at all the same.

@NYC Susan@Fiero Womandefintiely... Other than chocolate covered matzoh or macaroons- Passover desserts are not known to be that delish!! Anyone have a good recipe? Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

here is a very simple intro into Passover,  if you have read the Old 

Testament you might be familiar with it.  

There are a lot of dietary restrictions that go along with this holiday and the center part is the Seder which celebrates the Jews leaving Egypt.  It's a great holiday, but tons of work in the kitchen!

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/passover-pesach-101/

@jackthebear  This article seems to refer to Orthodox Jews only.

@Shanus@jackthebearIt's not really 'orthodox'. It covers many cultural aspects of the holiday- which Jewish people (religious or not) tend to follow this time of year.

Respected Contributor

As a teenager our next door neighbors were Jewish.  I imagine they belonged to a reform congregation. They seemed to observe dietary restrictions only when grandparents from Chicago visited.  Although they did not have bacon in their fridge, the parents let the two kids eat bacon and eggs for weekend breakfast or ham at the holidays with us!  Both our Moms were great cooks.  On the other hand,  i babysat and one of my clients kept kosher, seriously Kosher especially during this time of year.  At Passover the mom would show me the foods, how they were separated, separate dishes etc.    It was very complicated.  I was the only sitter she would allow in her kitchen at this time of year.  I took it very seriously, that and babysitting her three little boys.  Most of my friends as a young adult were members of the largest reform congregation in town.  My best friend was also Jewish, reform, and her Mom was the best cook in the world.  OMG! Could that woman cook.  She and her husband who also cooked loved to feed the little skinny Methodist girl and I obliged them many a Sunday evening!  Memories!💓

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm stunned on many levels reading  this thread. First, maybe it's unfair, but I am amazed that some don't know that Jews don't believe in Jesus. It's just so fundamental. As for some Jews believing in Jesus, yes, that is a small group of Messianic Jews that is not at all reflective of Jews in general.

I grew up in what used to called the Borscht Belt, a neigborhood surrounding Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles. It was probably 95 percent or higher Jewish. Many were Holocaust survivors.

But still, even there back then, I didn't know many Orthodox Jews or even those who fully followed Kosher rules. Please don't assume this when speaking of Jewish people.

You're having an Easter brunch but without religious prayers or rituals? Invite. Of course, invite. I wouldn't mention a darn thing about food. If these neighbors just happen to be kosher, they're used to managing their lives.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

I'm stunned on many levels reading  this thread. First, maybe it's unfair, but I am amazed that some don't know that Jews don't believe in Jesus. It's just so fundamental. As for some Jews believing in Jesus, yes, that is a small group of Messianic Jews that is not at all reflective of Jews in general.

I grew up in what used to called the Borscht Belt, a neigborhood surrounding Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles. It was probably 95 percent or higher Jewish. Many were Holocaust survivors.

But still, even there back then, I didn't know many Orthodox Jews or even those who fully followed Kosher rules. Please don't assume this when speaking of Jewish people.

You're having an Easter brunch but without religious prayers or rituals? Invite. Of course, invite. I wouldn't mention a darn thing about food. If these neighbors just happen to be kosher, they're used to managing their lives.

@suzyQ3  ITA. You said it eloquently. Didn’t know there was a borscht belt in LA. I was born in upstate NY & that was called the borscht belt, too.

Honored Contributor

I've been to many Passover seders where there were Christians invited as guests. It's great to get familiar with the customs of religions other than your own.

Even as a Jewish person, I definitely eat Easter candy!  Even during Passover (which I do not keep).

Esteemed Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Skyegirl21wrote:

While it seems like a nice intention, if you want to socialize with them, I suggest do it another time- It’s awkward to invite Jews to an Easter celebration, even if they are not religious (my opinion and I am Jewish).  

I agree, and I'm Jewish also.

"Happy Easter" is not appropriate to say to someone who is Jewish.  And the menu is not appropriate for someone who is kosher.  Or someone who observes Passover, since this year Easter falls during Passover.

(Out of all the listed appetizers and main courses on the menu, only deviled eggs would be okay for someone who is kosher.  And that depends on the other ingredients in the eggs.  Everything else listed is off-limits.  And that's not even including Passover restrictions, which would eliminate all of the desserts.)

Unless the Jewish person is a close friend or family member (in my family, we have a few interfaith marriages and my closest friend is not Jewish), I would advise inviting them to something else at another time.  If I don't know someone well, I would steer clear of religious celebrations that could cause awkwardness on both sides.  Not all do, but this one seems problematic to me.

@NYC Susan@Skyegirl21Actually is someone is  kosher 'fully' they wouldn't be able to eat anything since it came from the same kitchen as the Treif [non kosher food].

Yes, I know.  I actually had included that in one of my posts but edited it out because I thought I was already providing too many details.  As I said, there's not just one kind of "kosher", and all Jewish people don't observe and comply in the same ways.  Even within my family, we vary quite a bit.

As I said - and you've supported that, so thank you! - this is complicated.  I'm not saying that people shouldn't be invited to observances and celebrations of religions other than their own.  Being both host and guest in that way has been a big part of my life because my family is Jewish, but my SIL, DIL, Step-Mom, best friend and others are not.  My best friend in high school was an extremely observant Catholic, and sometimes I went to Mass with her, was at her house for Christmas dinner, etc.  So I know how interesting and enlightening it can be to learn about other religions, cultures, etc, and celebrate holidays together. 

My whole point was really that it can be very tricky if you don't know the people well, and very clearly the OP does not.  The way the calendar falls this year IMO is all the difference, so far better to choose another holiday, religious or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Fiero Womanwrote:

Forgot, black and white cookies are a must.  I have learned to make them, similiar to those made in New York.

Black & white cookie recipes would have to be altered for Passover, and would not be at all the same.

@NYC Susan@Fiero Womandefintiely... Other than chocolate covered matzoh or macaroons- Passover desserts are not known to be that delish!! Anyone have a good recipe? Woman LOL

I hear you!  My birthday is in March, and sometime it's during Passover.  Oh, the dry, horrible birthday cakes I have had!  I'm always happy when Passover is in April, after I have already enjoyed my traditional strawberry shortcake birthday cake!!  :-)