Honored Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

When my huge extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) moved from New York to NC when I was 3 yrs. old, most of the people here had never seen Jewish people and those that had, feared them because they had no understanding of the religion. When I started school, the kids behind me looked through my hair for horns because their parents had told them that “Jews have horns”.

I endured many years, through junior high, of anti-semitism, country clubs and other organizations that we were not allowed to join and even today, in 2018, there’s a country club nearby that has a “quota” on the number of Jewish members. I use the word Jewish, because I personally find the word “JEW” offensive since I was called that, as if it was a negative description. I’m not sure how others feel about that.

At 3, until my teens, no grocery stores knew what a bagel was or carried Passover foods. Our synagogue placed an order with a store in Richmond or Atlanta and we picked it up at the bus station. Kosher? Those that needed kosher meats ordered as well and picked it up at the bus on dry ice twice a month. 

At the age of 15, I was invited by a classmate to his country club dance. My Mom had purchased the gown, purse, dyed to match shoes and I had an appt. to have my hair “put up” that afternoon. The night before the dance, his mother called mine to cancel because she said she found out “I was a Jew and I was not permitted to enter their club.” Her son didn’t realize. 

There are neighborhoods here still around today that we know we are not welcomed. Gated communities that will turn down an application to purchase a house or lot to build if your name sounds Jewish, suspect you are or hear from someone else that you may be Jewish.....practicing your religion or not. Many families went “underground”, my parents called it. They changed their names, joined the clubs, didn’t associate with other Jewish families and if questioned, did not acknowledge their religion. This continues to this day. 

When we moved down, there were generations of  Southern Jewish families in the small towns who owned clothing stores, jewelry stores, etc. Gentiles would shop there, but they were still not welcomed into the community. They built their own synagogues...50 members or less or met in someone’s home for services.

This thread has been more than upsetting to me to hear discussions about Jewish neighbors not being included and many reasons were either out of ignorance, fear they may accept and then what if they want to be friends? Then what do we do w/ the Jews next door? Amazing to me the number of people who still have no idea what the religion is and its practices along with the many degrees of Judaism. 

I have asked the moderators to close this discussion several times because I assumed religious discussions (& politics) were against the forum standards. Obviously, anything goes.

.....but not for me. I’m not going to attempt to explain why you invite any neighbor over for any meal or for just a cup a coffee....whether it’s religion, they have one leg, don’t agree w/ political views, child has autism and don’t understand how to act around him/her....This entire discussion is based on not being inclusive and I’ve had more than enough of that in my life.

Shanus

Valued Contributor

Thank you Shanus for your informative post. I’m sure there are many people who have no idea of the extent to which prejudice is alive and well in the 21st century.. I’m so sorry that you and your family had such cruel experiences. There are countless people in our own country who must contend with this on a daily basis.

I used to think that prejudice could be cured solely through knowledge and exposure to a bigger world but I now realize as my son told me, “Mom, they don’t want to hear it. They like their story better and they’re not going to give it up.” I hope those people are in the minority and that that kind of thinking will die out with the older generation.

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesupwrote:

Thank you Shanus for your informative post. I’m sure there are many people who have no idea of the extent to which prejudice is alive and well in the 21st century.. I’m so sorry that you and your family had such cruel experiences. There are countless people in our own country who must contend with this on a daily basis.

I used to think that prejudice could be cured solely through knowledge and exposure to a bigger world but I now realize as my son told me, “Mom, they don’t want to hear it. They like their story better and they’re not going to give it up.” I hope those people are in the minority and that that kind of thinking will die out with the older generation.

@nevergivesup, out of the mouths of babes.

Getting a bit off topic here because I don't think that any poster in this thread expressed bigotry, but I find that the most inisidious prejudice is that which you hear when one or more think that you are one of THEM. I had those delightful experiences after marrying and then having a very Christian last name.

I find that far worse and more damaging than outright and blatant bigotry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I would invite them, tell them what the meal plan is, and invite them to bring whatever they might want to eat.

Honored Contributor

If I really wanted to have my neighbors attend, I'd probably call it a Springtime buffet.  I'd ask them ahead of time which foods that they are able to eat, etc.

Otherwise, as far as O/P's Easter brunch, I'd ask them now if they would be interested in attending my Easter brunch and if the answer is 'yes', I'd ask them which foods that they would be comfortable with. 

I'm only guessing that the neighbors who wouldn't feel comfortable at an 'Easter' event would politely decline. 

Well, 'all in all', enjoy your Easter brunch!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

For me, this has been a wonderful, interesting thread.  I have read most of the postings and can say that I would be very open to going to a Passover Seder.   I was raised Catholic but would welcome an invitation to someone's home to celebrate their Seder.

I can also say that I would be very interested in going to any other religion's services.

Respected Contributor

@EatWell   Your menu sounds wonderful, especially the leg of lamb.  That was always my family's meat choice for any celebration.  We are an Irish family.

What time should I be at your house?   lol

Honored Contributor

I grew up in Northern Italy.  An Orthodox Jew in a country where public schools had crucifix on the walls.  They also have them on polling stations where you vote. Italy was not really a  democracy, but a theocracy.  Much like Ireland or Greece. Christian law is secular law. Because of that I attended Hebrew schools.  I lived in a Jewish neighborhood. Jews in Italy were more isolated from Christian neighborhoods.  It would have been unthinkable to go to a Christian home for any Easter event.  Passover is different that its religious, but it's more open and gentiles are welcomed for a Seder. It's more of a celebration of a historical event.  Easter is the most important event for Christians.  A Resurrection of a individual they perceived as God. So it would be strange for any Jew to attend any  event connected to Easter.  It would be for me anyway.

Honored Contributor

My son's girlfriend in a Messianic Jew and celebrates Christian holidays with us. My son had Jewish teachers that did as well. 

As in all religions, there are people in varying degrees of practice, so I'd invite them, tell them what is being served and what time, and tell them you understand if the event conflicts with their beliefs or plans for passover, but you wanted to be sure they know that you want to include them. 

New Contributor

Interesting question. For the record, there are many Jews, in Israel and America, who do believe in Yeshua (Jesus) as the Messiah, although I'm sure many will argue that with great vigor. Nonetheless, it is likely that your particular Jewish neighbors do not share that belief, at least not yet.

However, it is a sweet notion to invite them to your buffet. The problem is that this year, Passover and Resurrection Day overlap. Even though many less observant American Jews don't keep kosher (very strict dietary laws, included in which is the proscription against the perennial Easter favorite, ham).

So your neighbors would have a problem with the buffet on the holiday of Passover, which also requires them to not eat any food with leaven (yeast). 

If  you really want to be a sweet Christian neighbor, you could let them know that if they'd like to come over to visit, you'd be happy to have some unleavened items for them to eat, like maybe kosher matzoh ball chicken soup. Depending where you live you could buy some at a Jewish deli.

They probably won't come just because Passover and Easter overlap this year, so they may be meeting with family themselves. Actually, Passover is the last supper, which began in Exodus 12, and is celebrated to this day by Jews all over the world, the longest recorded religious observance continually celebrated on the planet, to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you for being so kind and thoughtful as to want to invite your Jewish neighbors. Shower them with His love. May the Lord bless you out of Zion. 

Shalom.