Trusted Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

Oh my, it seems so simple. Invite and allow them to yay or nay. I'm sure they won’t be insulted but appreciate they were thought of.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Fiero Womanwrote:

Forgot, black and white cookies are a must.  I have learned to make them, similiar to those made in New York.

Black & white cookie recipes would have to be altered for Passover, and would not be at all the same.

@NYC Susan@Fiero Womandefintiely... Other than chocolate covered matzoh or macaroons- Passover desserts are not known to be that delish!! Anyone have a good recipe? Woman LOL

I hear you!  My birthday is in March, and sometime it's during Passover.  Oh, the dry, horrible birthday cakes I have had!  I'm always happy when Passover is in April, after I have already enjoyed my traditional strawberry shortcake birthday cake!!  :-)

@NYC Susan Happy birthday soon- if not already !! Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I agree with many of the posts. I am Jewish and would attend an Eater dinner party. Your menu sounds fabulous. 😁

Esteemed Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Fiero Womanwrote:

Forgot, black and white cookies are a must.  I have learned to make them, similiar to those made in New York.

Black & white cookie recipes would have to be altered for Passover, and would not be at all the same.

@NYC Susan@Fiero Womandefintiely... Other than chocolate covered matzoh or macaroons- Passover desserts are not known to be that delish!! Anyone have a good recipe? Woman LOL

I hear you!  My birthday is in March, and sometime it's during Passover.  Oh, the dry, horrible birthday cakes I have had!  I'm always happy when Passover is in April, after I have already enjoyed my traditional strawberry shortcake birthday cake!!  :-)

@NYC Susan Happy birthday soon- if not already !! Woman Very Happy

Thank you!  So sweet!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

here is a very simple intro into Passover,  if you have read the Old 

Testament you might be familiar with it.  

There are a lot of dietary restrictions that go along with this holiday and the center part is the Seder which celebrates the Jews leaving Egypt.  It's a great holiday, but tons of work in the kitchen!

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/passover-pesach-101/

@jackthebear  This article seems to refer to Orthodox Jews only.

I just wanted to give some info as readers seemed to know nothing, and the first pages were way too complex. 

perhaps you could find more info for this discussion 

Respected Contributor

No harm in inviting them!  They can decide to come over or not.  An invitation is always thoughtful.

I would like it (as a Christian) to be invited to a Jewish celebration.  I would just make sure there was an entree choice that doesn't violate food rules. 

Otherwise, an invite is nice!

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

no they dont celebrate Easter but I am sure they will be delighted to attend and celebrate with you. I am invited to my neighbors Passover dinner each year. It is nice to be apart of their celebration.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course you can invite your Jewish neighbors.  They don't celebrate Easter but would probably love to be included.  Friends are friends are friends.  If they decline, it's ok too.  But the offer is a good thing to do.  They also will  celebrate Passover which is just before Easter this year.   Christians also celebrate Passover in Mass/religious readings and pre-Easter vigils.  

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadiewrote:

Oh my, it seems so simple. Invite and allow them to yay or nay. I'm sure they won’t be insulted but appreciate they were thought of.

@Sadiesadie  I so agree...maybe 25 posts ago. I’m not believing the length of this discussion and worse, some of the uninformed opinions of Jewish people. They’re OP’s neighbors...no tricks, hidden agendas, weird practices, voodoo dolls, etc. Some posters have no idea, in this day & age, what they think is going on next door....nothing different that requires being left out of an invitation. 

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003wrote:

No harm in inviting them!  They can decide to come over or not.  An invitation is always thoughtful.

I would like it (as a Christian) to be invited to a Jewish celebration.  I would just make sure there was an entree choice that doesn't violate food rules. 

Otherwise, an invite is nice!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003. If OP has invited Indian neighbors, is she providing non-beef dishes? Most Muslims eat similar to Orthodox Jews re: no pork, need to provide for those invited neighbors. Diabetics invited? Maybe some guests are allergic to shellfish. Getting my drift? Invite your guest list, OP. Everyone will find something to eat & if not will wait until they leave to get a snack at home. What’s the big deal here?