Honored Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

[ Edited ]

@Pearleewrote:

@Sooner  I don't really  think I agree with your last paragraph.  I'm completely nonreligious but am interested in going to religious events of other religions, when invited. As a point of education and to socialize, nothing more and nothing less.  I think learning a little about others' religions by experiencing and event every now and then is interesting, even though I'm completely nonreligious myself.   I even learn things about the Jewish religion (my own!) when I'm invited to attend something connected with the religion, and I almost always meet nice and welcoming people there.  It's never a waste of time, even though I'm not religious.

@Pearlee   was thinking I shouldn't expect non-religious people to know about other religions, not that they shouldn't or wouldn't want to know.  Sorry, it was poorly stated on my part!  I 100 percent agree with what you said above!  Sometimes I am not good at expressing what I'm thinkin!  

Occasional Contributor

Not this year. It is passover,and if they observe,they wont be eating anything. Please invite  them another  year.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My guess would be the invitation would depend on how well you know your neighbors and have they been guests in your home before or you in theirs. 

Frequent Contributor

You are correct, there's a lamb shank on the seder plate, but lamb meat isn't typically eaten.

Respected Contributor

@Dcole3wrote:

You are correct, there's a lamb shank on the seder plate, but lamb meat isn't typically eaten.

I asked my kosher butcher about why there wasn't much lamb available for the seders. He told me that kosher lamb was very,very expensive and that most people wanted chicken, turkey or brisket.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

here is a very simple intro into Passover,  if you have read the Old 

Testament you might be familiar with it.  

There are a lot of dietary restrictions that go along with this holiday and the center part is the Seder which celebrates the Jews leaving Egypt.  It's a great holiday, but tons of work in the kitchen!

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/passover-pesach-101/

@jackthebear  This article seems to refer to Orthodox Jews only.

Not necessar

@Shanuswrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

here is a very simple intro into Passover,  if you have read the Old 

Testament you might be familiar with it.  

There are a lot of dietary restrictions that go along with this holiday and the center part is the Seder which celebrates the Jews leaving Egypt.  It's a great holiday, but tons of work in the kitchen!

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/passover-pesach-101/

@jackthebear  This article seems to refer to Orthodox Jews only.

Not necessarily. I belong to a Conservative synagogue and we can sell our 'chumetz" (non-Passover food) to a non- Jewish person for the duration of the holiday. Many members of our synagogue are kosher and do  the whole changing over thing. I suppose it depends on the availability of foods and desire to keep the custom. I am not kosher and do not change over my dishes, but do not eat leavened bread for as long as I can take it!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I would invite them if other neighbors are attending and if you enjoy their company.  Let them decide if accepting or declining.  It should be no different for any other guest or holiday. 

Example:  There may actually be folks who throw yearly April Fool's Day parties and some who abhor the day but could still be invited to one by a friend or such.  They just decline.  Simple.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Occasional Contributor

While I am not kosher be aware that most Jews do not eat anything leavened during Passover, which will run concurrently with Easter this year. That is why you see so much matzoh in the grocery stores. Jews stay away from breads, cakes, cookies, cereals and any other food items made from grains which need to rise to be eaten. Salads, meats, most vegetables and fruits are fine if those neighbors are somewhat observant. 

I hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

@mkarlinwrote:

While I am not kosher be aware that most Jews do not eat anything leavened during Passover, which will run concurrently with Easter this year. That is why you see so much matzoh in the grocery stores. Jews stay away from breads, cakes, cookies, cereals and any other food items made from grains which need to rise to be eaten. Salads, meats, most vegetables and fruits are fine if those neighbors are somewhat observant. 

I hope this helps. 

@mkarlin, this is primarily true ONLY for those Jews who celebrate Jewish holidays. A vast number of Jews do not. They are Jews by birth. They may have a connection in a cultural way with the religion but are not at all celebrants.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

Muslims share only the prohibition against eating pork, with orthodox Jews.  Everything else, except for alcohol, is allowed.

@EatWell  I think it is a kind gesture to invite Jewish neighbors to an Easter lunch.  They might be going to a Passover Seder on that day though.