Trusted Contributor

Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

[ Edited ]

I am going to host an Easter lunch buffet, and plan to invite some friends and neighbors.  I have two neighbor Jewish families.  I would like to invite them.   I know nothing about whether Jewish people celebrate Easter.

Is it P.C. to invite  my Jewish neighbors to my Easter lunch buffet?

Is it P.C. to greet them with “Happy Easter”?

My planned menu is:

Appetizers:  Graham and Rollins bacon wrapped scallops.  Rastelli’s Japanese style fried shrimp.  Deviled eggs.

Mains:   Graham and Rollins crab cakes, Kansas City Steak Co. honey glazed ham,  roasted leg of lamb,  mixed root vegetables. roasted potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and onions.

Deserts:  My Grandma’s lemon coconut,  and cinnamon  walnut coffee cakes.  Assorted cookies.   Easter eggs.

Beverages:   Mimosas, coffee, tea.

Any advice or recommendations to add for my menu?

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Easter lunch. My Jewish neighbors?

[ Edited ]

Jews do NOT celebrate Easter. That day is when we Christians believe that Jesus the savior rose from the dead. Jews do NOT believe in Jesus as the Messiah.

I know many Jews and none of them keep kosher and they all eat bacon, pork, milk and meat together, etc.

I don't know how well you know your neighbors but I would chat and ask them if they'd like to come for dinner and ask if they have any dietary restrictions. Tell them what your menu will be.

IF they are kosher they can't eat bacon, ham or shrimp. No pork or shellfish. You might talk to them first and do a 'net search about Jewish customs in general.

Valued Contributor

Re: Easter lunch buffet. Invite my Jewish neighbors?

@EatWell  My dear friends are Jewish and yes I would ask them for Easter, just as they invite me for their holidays.  I would greet them with welcome.  

Respected Contributor

If you are religiously celebrating Easter then I would think you would know its religious significance.  Passover is celebrated by those of Jewish faith.  However, if you are having a nonreligious secular Easter celebration then I would invite my neighbors for sure.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm Jewish, but not relgious. I've attended nonreligious  Easter celebrations.

Re: the food,  I know many who are the same religious level as myself but they still keep kosher. It really depends on your neighbors- how observant they are- if they're kosher, etc. I'm not kosher but still don't eat ham or pork- advise them of the menu.

Valued Contributor

Forgot, black and white cookies are a must.  I have learned to make them, similiar to those made in New York.

Honored Contributor

This year it happens that Easter falls on the weekend that is also Passover, if they are keeping the Passover holiday, they will not be interested in an Easter brunch, since Passover is all about eating only certain foods marked Kosher for Passover.

Honored Contributor

I would definately invite them!  If other neighbors are invited and they are not, it wouldn't seem right.  They will know that you want them to be included and that is the reason for the invitation.  Tell them when and what is being served and they will probably make their apologies and that will settle everything for you.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I never make assumptions - if you want to invite them then invite them! They will let you know if they are comfortable attending or not. For what it's worth - we have Jewish friends who love to have beer and bacon parties so ask! Smiley Wink

QVC Customer Care