Frequent Contributor

Don't like sales tax being applied to Shipping and Handling too.

I just decided not to order what I wanted to order because the sales tax is applied to th item and also to the shipping and handling.

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't like sales tax being applied to Shipping and Handling too.

[ Edited ]

Whether or not S&H is taxed depends on your state; some tax it, some do not.  Pennsylvania, for example, taxes it if the item shipped is taxable.

Honored Contributor

@hari wrote:

I just decided not to order what I wanted to order because the sales tax is applied to th item and also to the shipping and handling.

if you are being charged sales tax on the shipping and handling then it is because your your state requires it to be collected and qvc must comply.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@hari- Complain to your state legislature.  They made the law that requires companies to tax shipping & handling.

QVC is just following the law.  This has been discussed many times.  If you really liked the item, did the tax on the S&H really make that much of a difference?

Honored Contributor

Who does like it? But QVC is not the only entity that does it. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

But I think they have not done it before. That is why I noticed the higher tax. It was definitely an item I can get cheaper locally, so no shipping/handling as a separate charge and thus not taxed.

Got to draw the line somewhere.

Frequent Contributor

The rules can be strange:

”California: Generally, if the sale isn’t taxable, related delivery charges are non-taxable; if the sale is taxable, delivery-related charges may be non-taxable, partially taxable, or fully taxable.”

Honored Contributor

Taxes vary by state.   Where I live, even rent is taxable, amd that translates into a big chunk of money.    I even have "prison tax" on my water bill......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@hariQVC is following the laws passed by whoever you elected to your state's governing body.  Talk to them. 

Honored Contributor

I know that sales tax depends on the state we all reside in, however I also believe the tax is calculated on the item(s) purchased before s/h is applied. When items are returned (here) tax is refunded along with however much the purchase price was or easy pay amt paid.