Respected Contributor

A co-worker of mine calls me "Lovey."  I like it.  One of my nieces says "Hi Girlfriend" all the time.  I like it too.  One word I do not like being called is "Dear."  Just hate it - Always have and always will!

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

But I can't stand it when a woman calls another woman "babe" or "hon."  Also, while I am on this topic, I thought "like totally" or "for sure" went out with the era of the Valley Girls.  Time to grow up.

That doesn’t bother me as much as Amy to Lori G.....hello there my love! Lol 😆 

Honored Contributor

When we first moved here we left 70 degree weather and landed in 12 degree weather. We got off the plane, picked up our rental car, and went to get dinner. The server was younger than I was and called me "hon" the whole time. I grew up in the south and heard "honey" a lot, but never "hon"! I'm sure I must have thought it was strange; now I'm used to it!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Hon is used all the time where I live...I like it, use it & if anyone called me out for using it they would become a Hey You.

Respected Contributor

DH and I think it seems to be a regional thing. We never had so many young people call us old folks hon, as we have since we retired and moved south ! It still feels odd.

Respected Contributor

Re: Don't Know Why ....

[ Edited ]

I've heard "hon" and "darling" all my life. They are terms of endearment.  I say darlin' a lot.  The others don't bother me. They are regional or age related.  Why would something one doesn't understand bother them?  That is the mystery to me.

eta

We need more understanding and empathy in this life.

And less judgement...

Honored Contributor

I don't like people calling me babe or hon either - male or female -- unless it's my husband!  DH can't stand when people call him Dude!  I know people who constantly use the word "like".  As for "for sure", I probably say that at times to enforce a point -- for sure!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like either sex saying this to me except DH. My dentist calls me babe or hon. I don't like that he does this. Makes me uncomfortable. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like it either but that is better than women calling each other my.........(rhymes with witches)....

Honored Contributor

I think it's entirely contextual, and in general, we really need to lighten up.  

If I'm applying for a small business loan and the loan rep called me hon, babe, or anything similar -- that is absolutely condescending, patronizing, and insulting to me.  I would read that person the riot act in front of their supervisor.

If it's someone I know, even in a pleasant platonic way, such as a waitress at a diner I like to go to  -- I would find the terms warm and inviting.  

I have a neighbor that I don't know at all, we only see each other at the mailbox maybe twice a month, being neighbors for about five years.  She is about my age or a little older.  She greets me, "Hi Hon!"  Lovely.