Trusted Contributor

Re: Dollar Store in July

[ Edited ]

@MrSour wrote:

Love the cracker barrel resturants. Always go when we are traveling in the midwest. I wish they were in the northeast. I love their variety of food. Anybody know if they still have the liver and onions meal. It was my favorite.

I don't think the liver and onions is available, but then I wouldn't be ordering thatthnumbere .  I love their breakfasts.They have a few restaurants here in Az. Not sure the exact number.

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Terrible selection of stuff that can be picked up in any Dollar Store for a fraction of the price.

IMHO of course.

I have lots of Xmas in July items, and love everything I have. Please shop what you can afford and leave the rest of us to enjoy our purchases. I enjoy CIJ.

Trusted Contributor

@MrSour     Not anymore,  they took it off the menu.  I've got one within walking distance.  We eat there at least one a week. My favorite is the meatloaf. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dollar Store in July

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

@CoffeeNut 

My house looks fine.

No plastic blow up stuff ( that looks like discarded plastic bags from a distance), no glitter, no smelly candles that "evoke Christmas past", no hokey figurines of every description, no garland drooydraped all over everything, and no four foot high figures...available in white OR black!!!

I also don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy batteries for all this imported junk.

And NO fauz "americana" inspired  resin Christmas stuff made you know where!!!

Yep...looks just fine.

I support local shops for real wreaths, I use older real glass ornaments, and visit people who's homes are overdone in this stuff, and on the way home, think..."Sheesh what were they thinking ?????"

A lot of this stuff is marketted as homey old time when we were kids...I got news for your. MOST kids today have NO IDEA what 1950's red trucks looked like, nor are they interested. I'm 66 and I don't know what that red truck is supposed to symbolize...they're all in the dump.

I DO have the full size "leg lamp" from "A Christmas Story*"...but of course it's a major award so it'll always be classic!  

*Movie made in 1983 that most kids today don't know what it is either. No CGI special effects, loud music or costumed superheros so not interested!

@Othereeeen 

I do the nostaligia stuff for myself, not for other family members .....it just brings back wonderful memories and fun times with family.....I also add a couple new things to give a nod to tommorrow....and donate one or two to prevent cluttering....

Hmm....you can like the classic movie from 45 yrs ago, but we cant enjoy nostalgia Christimas decor? 🤔 😔BTW what irritated me about that movie is the poodle hair style that mom wore which was 80's .....not in the era this was supposed to take place in.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I call it Christmas Cra*

And I call those who complain Christmas Crabs😁

@AuntG 

👍 😀😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

QVC's Christmas in July isn't for me.  I do recognize that many enjoy it. C'est la vie.

I purchase my Christmas decoration from Big Lots.  You could also find good deals after Christmas at Kmart and Pier 1 before they closed.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt 

I am 66 so I recall the trucks and the movie and I agree about the Mom's hair it WAS out of style for the time...and the Dad was WWWWWAAAAYYYYYY too old! Actually the whole thing was super corny...but there's something about it that gets me...probably seeing the world thru the eyes of a naive kid....

I mean kids and young adults don't know what that truck is or what it signifies...but then again, I realize QVC is mostly an older audience....and I guess they do recall them...

I think I'm just so over having stuff to store. And the idea that people have hordes of people over during the holiday to the point that they need a "gift closet' is patently ridiculous...but it IS good for a laugh!

( I was going to buy an extra 60" flat screen in case my garbage man ever came to the door and I needed a gift for him...../s!!!)

Also..the stuff they suggest to give as gifts..hokey ornaments and such...who'd want it?

Have some nice wine to give them!!!!  SOMEONE will drink it!!!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Spurt 

I am 66 so I recall the trucks and the movie and I agree about the Mom's hair it WAS out of style for the time...and the Dad was WWWWWAAAAYYYYYY too old! Actually the whole thing was super corny...but there's something about it that gets me...probably seeing the world thru the eyes of a naive kid....

I mean kids and young adults don't know what that truck is or what it signifies...but then again, I realize QVC is mostly an older audience....and I guess they do recall them...

I think I'm just so over having stuff to store. And the idea that people have hordes of people over during the holiday to the point that they need a "gift closet' is patently ridiculous...but it IS good for a laugh!

( I was going to buy an extra 60" flat screen in case my garbage man ever came to the door and I needed a gift for him...../s!!!)

Also..the stuff they suggest to give as gifts..hokey ornaments and such...who'd want it?

Have some nice wine to give them!!!!  SOMEONE will drink it!!

@Othereeeen 

Yep, I totally agree about "THE GIFT CLOSET"....its really become an "urban legend" for long time QVC viewers...... and the QVC crew thinks the more expensive the gift the better!!!! 

Please dont forget the handbag that cost near $300 for a teacher's gift. (why a Christmas card with a nice handwritten note is so passee! )...and maybe that handbag would help your student when it comes time to grade papers, no its not a bribe...🙄....Oh you are so right, you can't forget that bus driver even if you have  no kids in school.....🤣🤣🤣...and yes a nice 60" TV is the "perfect gift"...........

The gift closet is a joke that never gets old...😄  I guess me and my friends are STINGY when we put a $25 limit on gift exchanges, and there's only 4 of us participating.......OH WELL, it is what it is....😉

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen   Well then, my father was quite odd since he was two months shy of 49 when I was born, and was 57 and 1/2 years old when my one and only brother was born.  And my mom was 15 years younger than my dad.

And that movie is one of my favorites.  So, sometimes art does imitate life.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Super Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

To those asking me what the "Dollar Stores" sell...Google is your friend.

Dollar Store, Dollar General, Ollies, and the old standby Walmart. And Target.

And this is NO bad reflection on those stores. Just camparison. Those balloon blow up mostrosities for your front lawn come to mind...an ALL stuff glitter, flameless candles, canlde candles,  lanterny stuff, cheap christmas lights and oversize statues. 

And knickknacks. LOTS of knickknacks....figurines, etc...

I'm with you.