Honored Contributor

Re: Does "FRI-YAY" still make sense?

i dont see anything wrong with being upbeat and positive, especially during this time.

we need a lot more YAY in our lives, especially these days.

qvc did not invent it nor are they the only ones using the expression.

it has been around since AT LEAST 2011.....check out urban dictionary.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Time for QVC to  quietly retire the trite phrase.

Honored Contributor

download (4).jfif

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

In the scheme of things what does it matter?  Its a trivial thing to be concerned about.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

The answer is ...NO!

Respected Contributor

They should just stop with that. Espec now and actually it used to be a popular thing to say but not anymore! I never did like it.

Honored Contributor

I try to keep things as normal as possible, and it is normal for me to dislike the phrase.  I'm as optimistic as anyone can be at this time, but that doesn't change my taste.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It bothered me as being immature when things were "normal" and everyone had a job and looked forward to Friday and the coming weekend. Now, it's a slap in the face to those sitting on the sofa wondering when unemployment checks will begin. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, it doesn't. I wasn't a fan to begin with, but it seems like every day, including Friday, brings more bad or heartbreaking news. People we know are getting deathly ill in my small community. 

As far as being excited for the weekend, the essential workers are still having to work, and they are working on weekends too. Of course they are not watching QVC. 

over 8400 deaths, no funerals. Friyay needs to stop. Sorry.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Even if you thought it did before (I did not), is it valid these days?

For all too many of us, the days are running together and reaching Friday as any sort of milestone doesn't really make anyone extra happy like it may have before.

Thoughts?

It does for me. I am in an essential business and going to work everyday with 65% of our staff at home, the pressure at my job with the 35% still is office is emence.  So Fri-Yay is much need for me.

Deb