Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not like Christmas?

It's a difficult month, too much food, too much decorating, too much novelty music, too much spending, spending, spending, worrying about meeting everyone's expectations.  It's not a fun month.  I completely honor the real reason for Christmas. 

Super Contributor

I use to but now that I am living with chronic pain and can't do anying, I feel sad.

Contributor

Overall, I dislike Xmas - too much commercialization, too much pressure, too much bad music, too many ugly plastic blow up lawn decorations.  LOL Yeah I'm a scrooge.  I do like the tastefully lit up houses when I drive by at night, the yummy baking and the extra days off from work! That's about it!

Respected Contributor

I al SO glad when the holidays are over these days. I have NEVER liked Christmas music. Not sure why, but it depresses me. I used to love to decorate when my son was young, then when my g-kids were young also. Now the g-kids are teenagers, no more fun.  As time moves on, it has become more stress involved than I care to endure. Our family is very small, only my very elderly mom, 1 son/wife, 3 teenage grandsons. They kids have so many places to go (divorced parents/step g-parents) & things going on. I want to be with them, but too many other places to make. I am single & if I make candy/goodies, I end up eating them, which I do NOT need. My mom is about to the point of death this month, so I am ready for it ALL to be over. People look at me like I am crazy when I say I do not like Christmas music, but it's true. Sorry for the long post, but that's my feelings,lol..

Valued Contributor

@daisey10 wrote:

I use to but now that I am living with chronic pain and can't do anying, I feel sad.

know I am with you daisey10. I also live in daily chronic pain, to the point I am lucky to get out of bed. Christmas is just another day for me.

Contributor

I love decorating. It makes me happy because of all the lights.

Occasional Contributor

I don't like a lot of Christmas music either - some of it I guess , but twice in one week, because I had to go the big box hardware store, I felt like the barrage of loud hokey Christmas music was actually making me ill, and preventing me from thinking - just wanted to leave the store. In this store alone there is SO MUCH Christmas "junk" and it's everywhere, overwhelming - as so many have commented Christmas starts earlier and earlier, re the cash grab for our dollars.

Happily there is Amazon and online shopping - and as time has moved on, I've dialed it way back. LOL just read a funny remark online where someone asked why it's a "holiday" if you are working 4 times as hard that week as you usually do.

I prefer to reach WAY back and remember when many traditions stemmed from folklore - a way to remember green and growing things in the darkest time of the year, and to hope for the return of Spring. Problem with the media onslaught of picture-perfect holidays just to get dollars is that the visuals and hype are salt in the wounds to many. And I am ignoring the whole thing as best I can, as I lost someone this year, and many I know have had a harsh year. I'll be glad when it's over.

Regular Contributor

I really love Christmas....except the gift-giving. I wish gift-giving was done away with altogether. Or people gave each other simple fruit like they did in the old days. It's stressful and I find myself buying things for friends and family just to buy them. And receiving gifts is a burden too because I always wonder "Did they spend more money on me than I did on them?" I do love gift-wrapping though Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Well calmintheheart, if certain people here in our country have their way, you just may get your wish.

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@CalminHeart    

No, Calmin, I absolutely would never choose a word, as Scrooge, for  `you~

I think what is over the TOP is all of the commerization of a Holy Day and I do agree. 

Never understood the parties for Jesus' birth date, Christmas; can do without all of the Christmas shows all day long ( I have come to believe) on TV. I definitel DO believe the majority of people are exhausted by the day before.

AND! "..... (I'm not here that often to even view 90% of what is on TV, so I am guessing from what I have heard or read" )......

One nice gift and family together, along with a meaningful happy dinner with family and friends. Mom And Dad will not be here for every year, so soak in what love you have, now.

Wishing a wonderful season for you and your family~

I was reared to have reverence for Christmas -and NO I do not get involve with the masses of people shoving, pushing- BUY BUY BUY.

Receive more happy times watching small children, at this time. 

You sound very Grounded to me. AND! I am ___>not a scrooge.

We do have small tokens to give. It is the most stressful time of the YEAR, that I do know. 

NAES

Hi.  Thank you.   I think people are expected to feel a certain way, party a certain way, shop shop shop. I've never fit into that mold though I tried really hard when my kids were young.   I'm not into any of that.  It's ok for people to like or not like something.  

My biggest thrill this year is that my military son is coming home for a few days and I will have all my kids in one place at one time for a while.  He and his wife are wonderful and I am so excited.