Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not like Christmas?

It's not my favorite holiday from the commercial sense. I enjoy the family, friends and church part of the holiday. If we could dispense with all the pressure surrounding the gift buying and decorating, it would be much more enjoyable.

Those who like doing all that stuff could have at it and the rest who like it more low key could enjoy it too.
Honored Contributor

Other than buying a few gifts for close friends and professional people, we don’t do anything for Christmas anymore, and I still don’t like the whole season.  This year especially.  And the whole hype starts earlier and gets more frenetic every year.  I do like some of the items that are offered for giving that are special and you can’t find any other time of the year and will often buy some of those types of things—for myself! 

And one other thing I do like about Christmas: on Christmas Day and often a few days surrounding it, everyone is at home and it’s so nice and quiet where we live.  That I would like to have a lot more of!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, I don't really care for it.  But I can tolerate it as long as I stay away from crowds and such.  Smiley Happy

But I'm not one of these 'I don't like it so I don't want anybody else to have it' people either.   I don't begrudge anybody else their holiday enjoyments - not one iota.     Have fun - be happy.  It's good.   

I think maybe my childhood is probably one of the reasons I was never much of a holiday person.   I enjoy seeing others enjoy the different holidays and think it's great.  Just don't force me into any of it and we're fine.

My perfect scenario would be if it were in the summer.  I don't like summer anyway.  I love winter so it's just kind of a blip on my, otherwise, happy winter.     Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

That is so interesting.  I am Jewish, so I never knew that people felt like this. I guess you all seem to have a lot of pressure. 

Trusted Contributor

When my children were small I enjoyed Christmas. We never had a lot of money but we were happy. Now I'm in my 70's children gone they have their own lives and most of my family has passed on. No I don't like Christmas anymore. So commercial. It's not the thought behind the gift it's how much did it cost and is it the best. In some of the stores of today people are having fist fights over the TV bargains. Some Christmas spirit. After me you come first this seems to be the way some people think today. I'm from the generation of old fashion Christmas when it was going shopping after Thanksgiving, buying what you could afford.  No credit cards we did not have them. Appreciating family just being together. Yes maybe a few grumpy family members but you have patience with them. After all it is Christmas!

Honored Contributor

Oh how i loved Christmas, decorating, buying gifts, wrapping ,cooking , i was so into it for years,our home looked like it could be in a magazine, but in 1998,everything changed, our son died ,  his death just changed us,and everything,then 10 years ago our other son got married and had twolittle girls, it was great again, when they were small,still enjoy buying for them,but my husband died in 2013,at 63, i just do not have the spirit, it is hard trying to put a happy face on, i truly , just want to do the religious part,and that is it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I love this time of year it's just that there's too much expected of one person (usually the Mom/Wife) to make everyone's holiday happy.  That IS a lot of stress.  

My Mother was born in England and she said that it was her family and the Church that made Christmas wonderful.... and how happy she was when she found an Orange (an ORANGE!! in her stocking!!) because her family was very poor and to actually have an orange to eat during an English Winter was beyond luxury!  She was also thrilled to find Walnuts!   I would listen to her stories with my mouth open because I could not imagine being thrilled over an Orange (I was born & raised in So. Calif)!  But that was my dear Mother in every sense of who she was.  My Father's Christmases were ruined for him by his father's death on Christmas Eve!  However, I never knew about that until I was an adult..... and he always looked & acted like he was enjoying the day.

My Father passed away on the 17th of December and my Mother on the 14th of January so I have a tendency to get melancoly during the holidays but it's up to me to put myself out for others and when I do the holidays are wonderful!   I always made my boys go through their bedrooms and find good toys they were no longer interested in and we took them to the donation center.  If they didn't want to donate their own sltuff, then we pooled our money and bought something to donate.  I always believed this gave them the start of thinking of others.... 

I have to admit that I start stressing at Halloween and would rather skip over the entire time until we hit Valentine's day but am grateful for the opportunity to be with my family, to give to others, to rejoice in the birth of Christ and remember how lucky I was to have my wonderful parents.  It's not easy fighting melancoly/sadness but reaching out towards others really DOES help.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I just hate what it has become - so commercialized!  That's not what Christmas is about.  Me, I'm getting together with friends for a good dinner (no exchange of gifts), just good conversation and food.  I tried to talk my granddaughter into buying only a couple of gifts for her kids and making a tradition of doing something fun instead, but no, she's bought her small children electronics and expensive things they will never appreciate.  Sad. Kids would much more remember getting out and doing something special with their family - memories instead of stuff!

Valued Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Other than buying a few gifts for close friends and professional people, we don’t do anything for Christmas anymore, and I still don’t like the whole season.  This year especially.  And the whole hype starts earlier and gets more frenetic every year.  I do like some of the items that are offered for giving that are special and you can’t find any other time of the year and will often buy some of those types of things—for myself! 

And one other thing I do like about Christmas: on Christmas Day and often a few days surrounding it, everyone is at home and it’s so nice and quiet where we live.  That I would like to have a lot more of!

I'm with you, geezerette! My husband gets incredibly down, and is almost impossible to live with on Christmas Eve and Day. I am so glad to see the 26th roll in. Our two children live far away, and do not visit. He gets so childishly depressed that he won't even answer their phone calls on Christmas.

I also get so tired of all of the commercials, and the emphasis on buying things for everybody.  It starts in the summer on QVC, and is just ramping up to a frenzy now.  We live on a tight budget, and can't afford to travel or buy gifts for many people.

I am checking out places where I can escape to on Christmas day, just to get away from his sour attitude.  Maybe a good movie or two at the theatre.

Frequent Contributor

Hi, well add me to the list.  I'm glad someone started a thread, and was brave enough to admit that they're not thrilled with the whole deal either.

I honestly find it has gotten very depressing as the years have gone by, and will be glad when it's all over.

Best thoughts to my fellow 'downers'.  LOL.