Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not like Christmas?

It is just my father and myself. I don't have any siblings, kids, or a spouse.

Once he is gone, I will be totally all alone.

The cousins that I have are all older than me, with their own families, and are scattered throughout the country.

Yeah, x-mas will pretty much sock.

I would be happy just to sleep the day away.

Honored Contributor

Come to think of it, I am pretty offended that so many of you think less of someone who buys lots of gifts, gives or goes to lots of parties, and has a grand old time at Christmas.

NOBODY loved Christmas more than my mother; and nobody rejoiced more in her religion and the true meaning of Christmas than my mother.  We had lots of gifts, had people over for dinners and desserts, threw a new year's party, decorated every inch of the house, and welcomed one and all (no RSVP'S needed!) to Christmas dinner--we cooked for 20 and had anywhere from 6 to 18, most of the spur of the moment.

If you think we were rich, we weren't.  We didn't have much money. But boy nobody did a bang up job of the holidays better than my mom.  We don't have that now, but I certainly don't JUDGE or BEGRUDGE anyone who does.   More joy to them if they can do it.

Honored Contributor

Hi Sooner!  Although I did express my dislike for christmas, I hope you didn't think that I had disdain for anybody else's experiences with it.    

I'm HUGELY a 'live and let live' person and I am all for people being happy and joyous in their lives.   It's just not for me, for a myriad of reasons that have to do with things in my past life.   I don't wish anybody else ill-will or wish that they wouldn't do anything just because I don't do it.  

I wish you all the best and I wish the best for everybody else as well.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I really enjoy Christmas eve at church. My favorite part of the holiday. Christmas day iis kinda no big deal to me as all I ever do is cook for DH's family, because they live closeby. I do enjoy company, but not when I am stuck in the kitchen alone almost the entire day. I do get to come out to serve appetizers and put the food on the table. DH cooks the rib roast for me so he may come and go but otherwise they don't even bother to come in and ask if they can help or sit and chat with me while I work.I have a rule that EVERYONE has to help get everything cleaned up.

Go out to eat.  You should be enjoying your holidays too.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's the hype and faux holiday spirit for an extended time (which goes for any holiday) that I intensely dislike.  I prefer simple, short-lived, peaceful, and meaningful.

Honored Contributor

Funny, I was thinking about this today!  I enjoy Christmas, the Reason for the Season, lights, music, etc  but the gift giving bothers me.  We have 2 grandkids that we rarely see but we do see them at Christmas!  We love them but don't really have a special relationship with them....I find the evening awkward, they really have no idea how to have a conversation, keep it going, etc.  I feel like I am juggling balls all evening to keep things moving.  Maybe I just need an attitude adjustment.

Respected Contributor

Christmas is what you choose it to be.  I certainly understand the love/hate for it all.  I usually take time out between Christmas and the new year to reflect on where I am in life.  I actually enjoy spending time with friends more than I do most family members.  Especially since my parents have passed on.  Mom made it special, and I will always remember that no matter what I'm doing.  If you dread Christmas, why not try to come up with something different this year?  Doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  Simple is best. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This year DH is having 2 eye surgeries before Christmas so we are planning on staying home and having a very quiet holiday season this year. I am anticipating it may be one of our happiest of all time. We were invited to dinner out at the golf club by his cousin after i told everyone we could not host dinner, which was nice, but we are going to stay home.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I really enjoy Christmas eve at church. My favorite part of the holiday. Christmas day iis kinda no big deal to me as all I ever do is cook for DH's family, because they live closeby. I do enjoy company, but not when I am stuck in the kitchen alone almost the entire day. I do get to come out to serve appetizers and put the food on the table. DH cooks the rib roast for me so he may come and go but otherwise they don't even bother to come in and ask if they can help or sit and chat with me while I work.I have a rule that EVERYONE has to help get everything cleaned up.

If you have that rule then you could change the cooking in the kitchen alone as well. No one should be stuck in the kitchen by themselves unless they permit it. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This year DH is having 2 eye surgeries before Christmas so we are planning on staying home and having a very quiet holiday season this year. I am anticipating it may be one of our happiest of all time. We were invited to dinner out at the golf club by his cousin after i told everyone we could not host dinner, which was nice, but we are going to stay home.

My best to your DH having eye surgeries. A quiet holiday season sounds nice.