Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone REALLY have a gift closet?

I certainly do.  I have one shelf in one closet where all kinds of things I purchase on sale are kept for when I need it.  I begin after a holiday to buy for the next year.  Our women's group purchases items for the elderly at Christmas.  This year I was able to purchase several pairs of womens pjs and several pairs of heavy socks for a real bargain.  For my gd's I pick up things throughout the year from TJ's etc.  These are great when I make up specialty bags for them at Christmas.  You never know what you may run across and I don't hesitate to scoop it up.  I am always surprised my how much I have accumulated for only a few dollars.

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

The gift closet is a very clever sales ploy. I don't know one person that has one. The few that posted on this board seem to be buying for a specific person. 

That isn't what the hosts are selling. They are  planting the seed that it is perfectly normal to have this closet filled with random QVC items, so you can give it to everyone you come in contact with. Oh, and don't forget in case some random person decides to give you a gift you can get something out of the closet for them!

That's just ridiculous. If some random person gives me a gift, I'm not going to give them a gift, so we can start a tradition. One more thing if any host has that gift closet you can bet it filled with free samples they get from QVC. 

Some that have responded do buy with a specific person in mind, but others have stated that they pick things up just to have on hand. So I guess you do know (or at least know of) someone who has one.

No, I don't reread my post @jonbon 

Reread mine--I said you know OF SOMEONE who has one, because there are people on this thread who do.

Respected Contributor

I have one shelf and a small bin.  Mostly for gifts for someone in mind, or gathering some Toys for tots ahead of the Christmas season, if I see a great price.  We buy a lot less gifts than in prior years, but I love a “just because” gift sometimes.  Or a gift picked up for a birthday that I got ahead of time.  I still have 3 longtime special friends I buy for Christmas and birthdays.  

No, I don’t buy my hair dresser a Dooney, or $100 philosophy set for the mailperson or a teacher like I’ve heard many hosts mention in the past.  But I do like having most of my shopping done before the height of the season.  I’m done and can relax and enjoy a stress free holiday.  I got one gift in CIJ, and ordered a few food/candy items at the year’s best pricing for the holiday.  

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal I love Corkcicle and Rifle Paper Co. and water bottles from Zojirushi and Takeya!  And I look for those on sale when I need one!!!  Woman Very Happy  Rifle has great sales!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner Thank you, I've never heard of Rifle Paper Co so I will take a look!   My adult kids use water bottles everyday so I purchased them some nice Corckicle's last Christmas and I bought a couple new ones for this year.  I love that they have the themed ones now.  Bought my son a Marvel one and my daughter the newest Harry Potter!  

So fun!

Valued Contributor

Yes, but it is a gift drawer.  Every once in a while I find a deal under 5$ that I dont need but I appreciate.  I buy for unexpected times when someone needs a thank you or hug or birthday.  It is amazing how handy and $ saving that drawer comes in.

Trusted Contributor

No and thank goodness my family stopped giving gifts. I only give to my daughter and  granddaughter. It's usually money so no need for a closet. My girlfriends and I exchange small birthday gifts but I wish that would end. I would prefer buying lunch or dinner.   

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Sooner Thank you, I've never heard of Rifle Paper Co so I will take a look!   My adult kids use water bottles everyday so I purchased them some nice Corckicle's last Christmas and I bought a couple new ones for this year.  I love that they have the themed ones now.  Bought my son a Marvel one and my daughter the newest Harry Potter!  

So fun!

@LindaSal Have fun and what good gifts! I know Zojirushi has themed ones on Amazon and you have to keep looking to find a good price--they go up and down for some reason! Lots of pretty pretty things out there! I've collected a drawerfull over years--so match my outfit! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

The gift closet is a very clever sales ploy. I don't know one person that has one. The few that posted on this board seem to be buying for a specific person. 

That isn't what the hosts are selling. They are  planting the seed that it is perfectly normal to have this closet filled with random QVC items, so you can give it to everyone you come in contact with. Oh, and don't forget in case some random person decides to give you a gift you can get something out of the closet for them!

That's just ridiculous. If some random person gives me a gift, I'm not going to give them a gift, so we can start a tradition. One more thing if any host has that gift closet you can bet it filled with free samples they get from QVC. 

Clearly not so...as many here have posted we keep gifts and they are NOT for just one person.  And no one said they are all QVC items!

You make it sound like strangers are gifting or we are gifting strangers!  No one said they were random people.

They are not planting any new seeds as the  'Gift Closet' has been around since our grannies! 

Maybe we do not  have full closets, but a 'section' somewhere. 

Either way, many people keep a little something around to bless someone else .

Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple of drawers in a spare dresser I keep in my spare bedroom. All year long I look for nice gifts that I can purchase at a really good price. If they're small enough, I put them in one of the drawers. I might pick up a couple of extras for unexpected gifts I need to give or I might end up keeping them for myself.

I buy extras because in years past, I was given a gift from someone I wasn't expecting to receive one from. If that happens now, I can usually find something to give them from my extras that I have. That doesn't happen too often anymore.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown