Frequent Contributor

Does anyone REALLY have a gift closet?

Do people really have closets stuffed with all kinds of products so that at a second's notice they can whip out a gift for every person they've ever come in contact with (delivery person, nail tech, dog sitter, barista, random person next to you at the bus stop, cousin 12 times removed etc.)? I wonder every time I hear a host on QVC or another shopping channel say "Pick up 10 of these for your gift closet."

Yes, I know it's an old sales technique to get us to buy more. But as much as I love to shop, I am not gonna break the bank buying for anyone I meet who has a pulse. I'd rather have that discretionary spending go to charities that serve pets and people in need.

That said, if any of you do maintain a gift closet, you do you. But why do you do it?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone REALLY have a gift closet?

You bet!  My Mom had one and I take after her - I shop all year long for that closet and even have friends that ask for a gift out of it now and then because they know I have good stuff in there!  I enjoy shopping and picking out items I know people will use and or enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@glamwitch wrote:

Do people really have closets stuffed with all kinds of products so that at a second's notice they can whip out a gift for every person they've ever come in contact with (delivery person, nail tech, dog sitter, barista, random person next to you at the bus stop, cousin 12 times removed etc.)? I wonder every time I hear a host on QVC or another shopping channel say "Pick up 10 of these for your gift closet."

Yes, I know it's an old sales technique to get us to buy more. But as much as I love to shop, I am not gonna break the bank buying for anyone I meet who has a pulse. I'd rather have that discretionary spending go to charities that serve pets and people in need.

That said, if any of you do maintain a gift closet, you do you. But why do you do it?

I prefer gifts that are selected for the person rather than a closet full of things that someone might never want or use. 

Honored Contributor

No!!  For one thing, closet space is at a premium in my house and I don't have the space to donate for that.  For another, I buy gifts specifically with someone in mind.  I don't just buy things in case I need a gift for someone, anyone.  And I really don't buy gifts for that many people these days.  If I see something when I am at a store or online that I know will be perfect for my husband or my sister I might buy it and put it away for their birthday or Christmas.  That's about it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Heaven's no, WE DO NOT.

Respected Contributor

I have a gift "shelf" in a closet for those items that come in sets of 6 or  5 that are good deals for office gifts

Honored Contributor

Yes!  Well, no, not me.  But my sister, and my best friend both do.  

My best friend has a small finished basement where about half of it is devoted to gifts she has purchased from her travels, and just shopping in her neighborhood.  She travels both domestically and internationally for work.  She purchased shelving on wheels, so everything is neater and more organized than any store.  She has some of the most unique, and beautiful items, all for great deals.  Almost nothing is duplicated; she's not the type to buy 10 of something just to have.  There are gifts for birthday, anniversary, Christmas, "thank you for inviting me to your home," etc.  She thinks of the person and can always finds something specifically for them from her finds.  She doesn't just grab anything and put a bow on it.

My sister does this too, but on a much, much smaller scale.  She has an actual closet in her home for her gifts.  She's less organized, but loves it.

Side, unrelated, note: Neither of them ever watch or shop QVC.  

Respected Contributor

@glamwitch   No, but I do have a liquor cabinet, does that count?  Lol. Cheers!  🍾🍷🍸🍹🍺

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@glamwitch   No, but I do have a liquor cabinet, does that count?  Lol. Cheers!  🍾🍷🍸🍹🍺

@SloopJohnB Smiley Very Happy  Now that I do have! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do, yes.  It's actually an armoire, so I have a gift armoire.

Not necessarily just totally filled with random items, it mostly holds specifically purchased items, waiting to be given to the chosen recipient.  But, I do have a small amount of random smaller items in there, like add on gifts.  Smaller things that I find throughout the year that I think would work well for an add on gift. 

I read on here often enough where people say, I bought a gift, now if I can just remember where I put it.  I'm not a "if I can just remember where I put it" kind of girl.  All gifts are in the armoire.  I always know where they are.

So again, to answer the question, yes I have a gift closet.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?