Respected Contributor

BFD is way out of my budget and I dont care if Oprah has 1 of them or 100 of them. I personally dont care for it.

The only celebrity item I have bought was from Martha Stewart a pair of jeans. Very well made and under 50.00 and I bought them because I liked them.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

@Spurt

Oh friend, you are in trouble!  I was soundly scolded because I said I didn't like all the celeb awards shows!  

@this is my nic

Thank you for the warning, but that already happened to me too around emmy/academy award time-I said Gollywood isnt glamorous anymore and the actors are not as good as those from the 30's/40's.  (and I am not even from that era Im much younger.)  Those from the30's/40's portrayed passion with just a look, (that's called acting!), while today they have to leave nothing to the imagination if you get my drift. 

They arent fashion trendsetters, they wear something to stay noticed or something shocking to remain relevant ---- nothing us non celebs want to emulate in fashion.

Just because they are on TV or in the movies or YouTube I dont idolize them.  And you can throw musicians in there too....Others can have their opinion and I have mine  Woman Very Happy

@Spurt, I respectfully disagree that the good actors are all long gone. In fact, if you go back and actually watch some of the oldie movies, you might be surprised at how awful some of the acting was.

Today, we watch many series on Netflix and Amazon Prime and are repeatedly rewarded with outstanding performances.

As for the award shows, I do like to watch. I think some who are the most vocal critics don't watch and don't even know about the performances.

I appreciate actors' and other work in film. I couldn't do it, that's for sure. They deserve one night of appreciation for their art.

You legit don't get it, do you?  Celebrities, Stars, whatever you want to call them don't 
"deserve" anything more than the rest of us.  The whole notion that they are better than the rest of humankind and "deserve" special treatment is horrible.  No one is better than anyone else.  There are so many more worthy career choices and no one is awarding them.  And the selling tactic of buying something because a celebrity does is offensive to the general public because in America we are raised to believe we are all equal and the only thing we should aspire to is our own goals.  Not someone else's 

First, @Northray, I never said anything about their being better than anyone else. But why shouldn't they be honored for their work? It happens in many professions; you just don't see it aired. But because this industry is all about performances on air or in  theaters, it's apt they be televised.

Second, the only reason the celebrities are invoked in sales is that it must work. It doesn't work on me, but it must be successful. Again, look at how posters here follow their every action. Whether you agree or not, celebrity watching and gossip is a major pastime for so many people.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

First, @Northray, I never said anything about their being better than anyone else. But why shouldn't they be honored for their work? It happens in many professions; you just don't see it aired. But because this industry is all about performances on air or in  theaters, it's apt they be televised.

Second, the only reason the celebrities are invoked in sales is that it must work. It doesn't work on me, but it must be successful. Again, look at how posters here follow their every action. Whether you agree or not, celebrity watching and gossip is a major pastime for so many people.

First, they are televised because the industry is narcissistic and filled with megalomaniacs.  Some industries do have award dinners but never on the grandiose scale of Hollywood and the Entertainment industry.  And it's not just one award show either, no, it's the Oscars, Tonys, The Emmys, The Peoples Choice, The Critics Choice, The Golden Globes, etc.  It does not follow either, that just because it's an industry about performances that it should be televised.  It's not like we, the public get anything from it, what do we care?  But it's hyped by the Hollywood press machine in an attempt to make the start struck feel like they SHOULD be interested.  They are not better than us and don't deserve special treatment, which is what you are saying by co-signing a televised award show for the most fickle and narcissistic among us. 

Second, not all the host evoke celebrities, only one notorious name dropper is the most guilty.  So the fact that most show hosts don't use this sale tactic tells me that it doesn't work or else they'd all be doing it.  This particular host is just a silly star-struck wannabe.      

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Trusted Contributor

Not in the slightest.  In fact, I'm actually less likely to purchase an item when I hear that a "certain talk show host" has it or recomends it or anything else.

Occasional Contributor

If I hear this pretentious ‘Hollywood A-lister’ and ‘Oprah’ spiel again I’ll scream - won’t touch this overpriced line for that reason alone - same old ‘rich people love this’ line all these years - can I get an Amen!?   Yikes 

Honored Contributor

Many of us feel the same way when Isaac, and others, talk about “the hamptons” or “Madison Avenue”. 

These locations mean nothing to me.  Neither do the people who live there or how they dress 

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife  I am with you all the wsay on that one. Do not care for the O at all. or what she buys.

Trusted Contributor

@kayjaylvr AMEN sister.!!!   All of the A listers, Oprah, old money, hamptons and the like, can take their condenscending attitudes and  kiss my grits. Strip them of their fat bank account and what are they? No more than the average John Doe working minimum wage.Yet they do not believe that about theirself. And highly doubt that Oprah owns all of those items on the favorites list. I think a lot of it is a marketing gimmick.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I feel I can make my own decisions on what fashions or other items I choose to purchase.  The recommendation of a "famous person" does nothing to add to my interest in an item.  The opposite is more like it.  Since my lifestyle is far removed from the "famous", I will dress in what works for me and choose other items (like cosmetics) based on my taste and my needs.